Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:33 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,247,022 times

Advertisements

There was an article is USA Weekend, a supplement that comes with many newspapers.

For the last 5 years, I have comforted myself by eating the wrong things, things I love. I know I am putting myself at risk.

I should weigh 130-135, however, add about 45 pounds to that. The interesting thing is that I don't look as heavy as I am - until I try on clothes at a store. I look about 20 pounds over most likely. Anyway, I need to get this off.

OK, so all motivated. We belong to a gym - not a fancy fitness place but a gym. It's family friendly, older person friendly, etc. Our son works out there all the time; they know us. They were open 24 hours for a long time and cut their hours a while back - that hurt us and we were not able to go there due to work schedules.

Just yesterday, this gym merged with another. So disappointed. But, we will give the new place a try.

(1) Did you find (over 50) that a structured workout worked for you?
(2) Did you feel accepted into the trendier fitness centers?
(3) Personal trainer - did anyone try that? (I used one after the birth of my second child - third pregnancy - this guy was amazing - came to my house at 5:45 AM - expensive but I was doing better then.
(4) One thing I liked about my old gym is that I could get a protein shake made for me after the workout. Then I didn't eat dinner or anything later. I was full.
(5) Did you feel discriminated against? Anyone take the classes?
(6) If you work out at home, what do you do? Anyone do Zumba?

I'm putting this in the retirement section because I would like to hear responses from those over 50 and from those who may wish they had paid more attention to exercise and maybe success stories from those who did well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Bette, I have become a fan of gyms in my old age. I used to think people were wasting their money with gym membership because they can exercise out of doors. I have changed my views considerably, partly from reading "Younger Next Year" by Crowley and Lodge, who point out that the gym is a wonderful place on the days when it is too hot, too cold, too smoggy (or whatever else) to exercise out of doors. I don't think many of us are dedicated enough to walk or jog outside when it is pouring down rain!

So at age 61 I joined a gym for the first time. For a few months I just used the treadmills, which I actually came to like. (I know some people will find that strange.) Then I started noticing the group classes, which are all free if one is a member, at least at my gym. That is the way I had my first experience of yoga, for which I remain very grateful. I have also attended the weight classes (using hand-held dumbbells) on a fairly regular basis. I am often the only male in those classes, but at my age I have stopped caring what other people think (up to a point!); I know those classes are good for me and I enjoy them. Another thing which many will find bizarre: I can find enough self-discipline to attend the weight classes, but not enough to work out with weights on my own. (No, I can't explain that.)

I have never felt discriminated against. I am there for my own well-being anyway, not to impress anybody. My jogging on the treadmill is slow and short compared to many other people, but lots of folks just walk on the treadmills - no jogging at all. I don't think anyone is looked down upon - we just tend to think that others do. I have seen some older ladies in the weight classes with no weights in their hands - they are just doing the movements. The instructors are fine with that. My attitude is good for them for just being there!

Go for it, Bette. Forge ahead! If you perceive that a few people are snooty, to hell with them! You are there for yourself and you have paid your fees just like all the rest of them.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 PM

Smile ER - thanks for the response!

Yes, I can relate to all that.

I have Zumba tapes and I need to just DO IT. We've had so much stress for the past few years I have put myself on the back burner and people would tell me when it was over to take time for myself. Well, it is that time.

One thing I was really looking forward to was going to a friend's wedding in SF. My husband just told me this weekend that it's not going to happen. So, normally, I would turn to food and now, I find myself adjusting which is good.

I need to get healthy weight wise and then, perhaps, other problems will not occur. I'm a fan of Suzanne Somers and what she is doing so I need to educate myself on all that.

And - I need to take some sunset walks on the beach. That doesn't feel like exercise to me.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,453,265 times

Structured is good - but it IS important to mix it up every once in a while. Your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over - you need variety. Also? A heart rate monitor. They are worth every penny.

I don't do trendy. I do the County Rec center. Basically costs me $12 a month.. and if I work out 3-4 times a week - it turns out to be $1 a visit. No one is there to pick up anyone... there are young, old, disabled, fat, skinny, etc... I do my workout and get out.

(3) Personal trainer - did anyone try that? (I used one after the birth of my second child - third pregnancy -

Nope.

(4) One thing I liked about my old gym is that I could get a protein shake made for me after the workout. Then I didn't eat dinner or anything later. I was full.

Cheaper to have the protein shake ready at home.....

Never.

We have a recumbent cycle at home - when I'm too tired to go to the gym I'll jump on that instead. Also - we walk our golden retriever daily. He expects it.... there is no saying no. I don't do Zumba - it's too hard on my knees.

I'm putting this in the retirement section because I would like to hear responses from those over 50 and from those who may wish they had paid more attention to exercise and maybe success stories from those who did well

I've been aware that exercise will keep me young and alive - for a very long time. I will turn 59 next week - and I do not have the health problems (high BP, Type II diabetes, etc.) that my siblings have. I've probably been working out in gyms since the early 80's.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Smile Good answers - thanks!!

A lot of our city programs are only during the day and since I still work, can't do that. I know they have some good ones and they are well attended.

When I used to work out faithfully, we went about 9 PM, had the protein shake on the way back to work. My husband and I have to put in a lot of hours. I hope to do some changing on that but the weight issue will be one of the first steps to change.

I love your Golden. We have 2 Shelties. They are the same. They will not take "No" for an answer. LOL. They are my stress relievers though and I love them.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,408,487 times
God bless you. I mean, seriously -- I absolutely HATE working out. Hated it when I used to do the Jane Fonda videos, hated aerobics classes, hated "jogging"....believe me, I've tried to get hooked on these things but it's not happening. I'm fairly slim and weigh myself nearly every day to make sure the pounds aren't creeping up. About 10 years ago when I moved to CA, I was having such a great time out there that I packed on about 25 lbs. without even realizing it. Who knew that frozen margaritas had so many CALORIES!!?? Took a lot of hard work to lose that weight (diet and heavily-inclined treadmill), and I don't want to have to go through that again. I do other forms of exercise that I enjoy, but not the "gym"-type of thing. Now that I think about it, I have gained about 7 or 8 lbs. in the past few months (comfort eating and not walking the dogs as often) and I need to start cutting back again....

Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
if you have a pool nearby...Swim on your lunch break or before work. You can do a mile in 1/2 hr at a moderate pace.

I do various strokes and kickbaord + 20 laps with paddles. I like it as it clears my mind and drowns my sorrows.

I do miss the High School Swimming Pools I had available in Colorado (across street from work). $0.75 is about right for a comprehensive workout and shower (still same price as 1970's)

Over 50 - Healthy is the New Happy

This is becoming increasingly important as we all get wired with devices that will reveal our health history and potential risks, and WE pay accordingly.

Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Volunteering to help teach tai chi at the senior center has helped--no making excuses to not attend a class, and I tend to focus a little more on doing the form correctly

I prefer my HOA gym--trendy gyms seem more interested in what you wear and I want to show up in old sweats and do a workout where I sweat. Plus I see the same 3-4 people regularly at the HOA gym instead of 100s of people at a trendy gym, an we've formed sort of a support group as far as noticing improvements, etc. Also, I can walk to the HOA gym, which gives me a good stretch before and after.

(3) Personal trainer - did anyone try that? (I used one after the birth of my second child - third pregnancy - this guy was amazing - came to my house at 5:45 AM - expensive but I was doing better then.
Never tried it.

I prefer making my own after I get home. Then I know for sure what ingredients are in it.

Years ago I worked out at a Gold's Gym and sometimes felt a little discrimination from the 20-somethings there. Sometimes kids have an attitude that someone who isn't working out at "olympic" levels doesn't deserve to use equipment. Never mind that I'm working out at the speed my doctor suggested, and I'm doing it to improve my health, not just to beef up muscles.

Tai chi at home and usually 20-30 minutes of stretching exercises with elastic bands.

Speaking about Zumba, often a local fire department will have Zumba classes in the fire station as part of a fund raising effort. If you want to take a Zumba class, I recommend this.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:39 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
Although we have a big multi-function Body Solid contraption and a treadmill ,I've given up on even thinking I'll start using it/them 'tomorrow'...been saying that for years.
This summer a friend took me to a group and I've gotten hooked.
Much less chance of putting it off or using excuses when you go with someone and when you are expected as part of the group.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
if you have a pool nearby...Swim on your lunch break or before work. You can do a mile in 1/2 hr at a moderate pace.

I do various strokes and kickbaord + 20 laps with paddles. I like it as it clears my mind and drowns my sorrows.

I do miss the High School Swimming Pools I had available in Colorado (across street from work). $0.75 is about right for a comprehensive workout and shower (still same price as 1970's)
I'm with you, Rabbit. I started swimming for health almost 20 years ago in my mid-40s, after I had quit smoking and put on about 50 lbs. In a year, I got my lungs back in reasonable shape and slowly started to peel off the pounds. Now I swim every other day (although I swim for time periods, not distance; generally a half-hour or so; and I just do medley: breaststroke, backstroke, butterfly, crawl). Winter, summer, hell or high water (!), I'm in the pool. It's a discipline that pays huge dividends. And they last a lifetime.

I mean, I'm a 66-year-old guy, and while I don't look like an Olympian, I'm no Homer Simpson, either. And with a BP of about 115/60 and a resting pulse in the 50s, I figure to be around for awhile, thanks to the hour I put in in the water. Also, as you pointed out, swimming does something positive for your mind and attitude. I believe it's because of the breath control and rhythm of the exercise. And it's pretty hard to be morose when you're reaching for that next handful of water and concentrating on your form. Whatever, I always feel good when I finish.

And nothing makes you feel cleaner than that nice shower after a good strong kilometer in the water!

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-08-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement