Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,389,888 times

Advertisements

Made it all ourselves, invested wisely and bought some income properties along the way. No one ever left us a nickel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,845,665 times
No windfalls. We invested every penny we could along the way while working and managed to save a good amount. We have SS & pension and since we bought our very small house in 1972, its paid off and we live for the cost of taxes and utilities (never upsized, didn't need to downsize. Didn't snowbird. We have friends who are working in retirement and have mortgages due to both). Anything beyond that is charged and paid off 100% monthly -- and I keep excellent financial ledgers. I figure we will be good for a long time.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,163,220 times
Not what I'd call a windfall, but we were lucky enough to buy a house in an area once considered too far out in the boonies. Then the Dulles Tech Corridor was built, plus 9-11 happened and government facilities needed to move out to the burbs so they could have more secure campuses. As a result my neck of the woods went up in value.

So is that a retirement windfall? Maybe yes, maybe no, we'll have to wait and see. And remember there's also a price to pay for this sort of luck. Will it help finance our retirement? Maybe, but only if we sell the house--and there can be many reasons not to do that. In the meantime, rising real estate values gives you rising property taxes. Living in an area with a lot of construction can mean traffic headaches. And new neighbors may arrive that change the character of your neighborhood. One of the Trump kids moved down the street and that's had it's pros and cons.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:57 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,508,663 times
Zero. I've done everything I've gotten on my own. My parents died poor on Soc. Security.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 PM

9,375 posts, read 14,227,578 times
OP, you have been really lucky, congratulations. But judging from the thread comments, either it is extremely rare to be subject to a windfall, or those who have been so lucky rarely post on C-D forum.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,289,285 times
I am one willing to admit receiving a sizeable inheritance but nobody knows about it because people tend to make snide comments like "entitlement mentality" "worked for every cent we have' etc. Just because somebody got a nice inheritance does not mean they didn't work and save and make good financial decisions before the windfall. I certainly did not go from poor to rich with my inheritance. I went from comfortable to really comfortable.

I always knew I would get a nice inheritance as my mother was widowed at 50 and I managed her investments for the last 20 years of her life. She died at 86. My father entrusted me and not my older brother which was a good thing. We certainly could be living a much more showy life if we chose to but that is not our way. The only major change is that before my mother died but still late in life DH and i decided to adopt two more children only because we knew financially it would not be more than we could handle. Our grown son is aware of our financial situation and he knows he too will probably be responsible for keeping it safe for his younger sisters. He is very frugal and investment savvy and already knows it is not good form to discuss personal finances with friends as jealousy and assumptions are too easily made.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,671,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I am one willing to admit receiving a sizeable inheritance but nobody knows about it because people tend to make snide comments like "entitlement mentality" "worked for every cent we have' etc. Just because somebody got a nice inheritance does not mean they didn't work and save and make good financial decisions before the windfall. I certainly did not go from poor to rich with my inheritance. I went from comfortable to really comfortable.

I always knew I would get a nice inheritance as my mother was widowed at 50 and I managed her investments for the last 20 years of her life. She died at 86. My father entrusted me and not my older brother which was a good thing. We certainly could be living a much more showy life if we chose to but that is not our way. The only major change is that before my mother died but still late in life DH and i decided to adopt two more children only because we knew financially it would not be more than we could handle. Our grown son is aware of our financial situation and he knows he too will probably be responsible for keeping it safe for his younger sisters. He is very frugal and investment savvy and already knows it is not good form to discuss personal finances with friends as jealousy and assumptions are too easily made.
Sounds like wise decisions in re: to keeping your personal financial situation quiet.

Most folks who inherit sizeable money/assets are from families that have had an ongoing legacy -- and were able to instill smart financial planning in the next generation. Otherwise, the kids typically "blow it" in the following generation. Was it Warren Buffett who said most family wealth is lost by the third generation? So seems to me you have been very wise, indeed.

I personally know half a dozen or so folks who are millionaires and live very modest lives. They have worked hard, lived below their means and made sure their estates were in trusts so adult children and grandchildren wouldn't run through the assets by making poor lifestyle decisions.

People would never guess the extent of their estates.

The majority of my friends are very grateful their parents have enough assets to live decently until their deaths -- and many are already helping their parents financially. About half have already received their inheritances, as their parents are already deceased, and the inheritance was very modest.

I do know people who will most likely inherit sizeable assets but they are in good shape already and although the additional $$ will be appreciated, they certainly are not dependent on it for financing their retirement.

I do not expect to receive a sizeable inheritance but am very grateful that my parents have planned well to make sure they can maintain themselves, even if that includes longterm care.

I don't think many folks are depending on some sort of windfall to finance their retirement. And like NO KUDZU has relayed, most folks are not going to talk a lot --for many reasons-- about their finances, especially if they have planned well and those around them may not be in as stable a situation. It would be uncomfortable to do so.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,590,843 times
Received a bit of a windfall 20-some years ago. Lost it all plus some in divorce a few years later. Oh wel! Just as happy to have done retireent all on our own. It's a bit tight but all ours.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Not what I'd call a windfall, but we were lucky enough to buy a house in an area once considered too far out in the boonies. Then the Dulles Tech Corridor was built, plus 9-11 happened and government facilities needed to move out to the burbs so they could have more secure campuses. As a result my neck of the woods went up in value.

So is that a retirement windfall? Maybe yes, maybe no, we'll have to wait and see. And remember there's also a price to pay for this sort of luck. Will it help finance our retirement? Maybe, but only if we sell the house--and there can be many reasons not to do that. In the meantime, rising real estate values gives you rising property taxes. Living in an area with a lot of construction can mean traffic headaches. And new neighbors may arrive that change the character of your neighborhood. One of the Trump kids moved down the street and that's had it's pros and cons.
I remember when Louden County, Prince William county and even the far side of Fairfax county was the boonies. Now you guys a reaping good profits from your property investments; good for you...

Old 01-20-2013, 12:36 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
I think it is wonderful to have been wise enough to have planned for retirement, or to have worked for a company that offered a good retirement, but today that isn't the case as much as it was years ago..

Within our family we have seen those who have struggled. My mother in law lived on a few investments (not many) and SS for years. She had almost nothing left when she passed away but she was able to live without depending on anyone to help her and she even did a little traveling..

Our daughter and hubby did inherit, what appeared to be a sizable amount of money,but I never asked them about it. They did some wise investing and will retire very comfortable.

As for us, we did come into some money when my dad passed away,but it wasn't what I would call in windfall. We live on some investments, SS and a small retirement. My stepmom did die about 5 months ago, when her estate is settled, (hopefully in a few more months or so) we will be getting enough to help us enjoy the rest of our lives, but again, not a fortune. She left, what most call a fortune, but 1/2 of it went to charity and the other1/2 is devided 5 ways and not 5 equal ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement