Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:14 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on the best, safest, most comfortable bike for a not physically fit or slender individual with 2 knee replacements. Would like to start biking in our new location---finally FLAT streets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
COMFORT BIKES

Old 03-09-2013, 05:38 PM

6,625 posts, read 7,336,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Looking for advice on the best, safest, most comfortable bike for a not physically fit or slender individual with 2 knee replacements. Would like to start biking in our new location---finally FLAT streets!
Might do a search on three wheel bikes. I think I have seen them with a bench seat.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:18 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
You might go to a good bicycle shop and tell them of your needs and have them fit you with the most appropriate bikes..a good fit will prove comfortable..as well as the right tires for the surface you'll be biking on. A hybrid is more stable than a racing bike with skinny tires. A mountain bike is heavier to pedal on street surfaces but good for trails. A hybrid, with medium tires, handles both streets and trails...

Again, got to a good bicycle shop...do not buy your bikes from a big box store...you'll regret if you do..we did! Then we got fitted at a bike shop and are very happy with our hybrids..which we bought used and reconditioned from the shop.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,604 times
Make sure you get a test ride on several bikes, then sit back and consider it for a day or two. This is especially true if you're older (I'm 64.)

Last winter I bought a Giant Sedona, which is a "pedal forward", upright position bike. Although I loved it initially, I found it quite uncomfortable to ride--none of my previous biking experience was on this type of bike--the geometry of the bike was just wrong for me. I felt very awkward turning the bike, and actually fell once. I found that the upright position meant a fair amount of pressure on my butt too.

Long story short, the bike got stolen last spring, and this fall I bought myself another bike, a Raleigh Venture. This bike feels great to me--I immediately felt confident riding it, turning, it had the right balance between leaning forward and sitting. The gear ratios are also great, and the seat very comfy.

Not to suggest this bike to you, or suggest that the Giant would not suit many. The point is, you really have to make sure you're comfortable before buying any bike, so you don't make the mistake I made.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I don't know if this is any help but I bought an old Raleigh bike like the kind we had when we were kids. You sit up straight, you have three speeds and you have hand brakes. If I were rich I would have bought a new Raleigh in a bike shop because they finally make exactly what I have wanted all these years. All these years when all you could buy were racing bikes or mountain bikes or whatever. I just wanted a good, normal bike.

Make sure the seat is comfortable and get the height properly adjusted.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
The best bike for this type of riding is still the ol' fashioned Cruiser. Buy one with 3 speed hub gearing and a coaster brake with fat Cruiser tires for a wonderful smooth ride. (I also have a double knee replacement and I ride a Cruiser)

All the other "modern" bikes have brakes and gears that are complex and high maintenance so that makes them to "fussy" for simple city riding.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:48 PM

126 posts, read 161,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You might go to a good bicycle shop and tell them of your needs and have them fit you with the most appropriate bikes..a good fit will prove comfortable..as well as the right tires for the surface you'll be biking on. A hybrid is more stable than a racing bike with skinny tires. A mountain bike is heavier to pedal on street surfaces but good for trails. A hybrid, with medium tires, handles both streets and trails...

Again, got to a good bicycle shop...do not buy your bikes from a big box store...you'll regret if you do..we did! Then we got fitted at a bike shop and are very happy with our hybrids..which we bought used and reconditioned from the shop.
I do high milage on bikes (4200 miles in 2012) and I totally agree with what's said here. I started riding over 18 years ago, as jogging pounded my kneecaps into gravel. Find a reputable bike shop in your local area, tell them your riding habits, physical condition, and get the proper bike that will be fitted to you. IT will be worth the extra money.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:10 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,130 times
No one mentioned recumbent bikes or trikes. Look up Sun or Terratrike brands. You might like those.

Comfort bike like the TREK Navigator is nice or the Electra Townie.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,935 times
Assuming you've got flat terrain and fairly light/manageable traffic conditions, consider the recumbent bicycle. On certain cycling forums, veteran cyclists of retirement age, or those beginning cycling as retirees/seniors often find these to be a "why didn't I begin this 5 years ago?" sort of revelation. Reviews from the 50+ are glowing, quite frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement