Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,212,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
LOL all of them? Not sure what group of women you were looking at but my selection had quite a few who weren't dressed at all.

I'm a little surprised you approve those dresses with the dramatic cleavage. OTOH, maybe that just shows you agree more than you realize with the idea that since those ladies look happy and comfortable, that's all that matters. Personally, I think I'll forego the evening gowns with cleavage down to there. Most of the time, anyway--or at least when I go shopping at Costco.
And...they all have stylists to dress them and hair and make-up artists. Even those lovely women don't look like that when they do their grocery shopping. (Oh...they probably have someone to do that, too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:52 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
My only over 60 dressing suggestions are the same as for people over 30...that is don't wear clothes that are so tight your fat rolls are revealed. Don't wear skirts so short that people are actively trying to see if your panties (or lack of them) are showing. Don't wear shirts so small or pants so low-riding that your muffin-top spills out. Don't ever, ever wear tight spandex unless you are in a gym, and are built like an aerobics instructor, or are swimming. Buy clothes that fit the size you are RIGHT NOW, not what you once were, or someday hope to be. Don't wear clothes that make you look like street-walker (tube top w/glittery skirt and platforms for example). Unless you're painting or working in the garden, wear clothes that are clean, unstained, in good repair, and relatively unwrinkled. Other than that wear what makes you happy and is appropriate for the venue.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,534 times
There is a great deal of discussion regarding how older women try to be sexy thru dress - I believe that being perceived as beautiful and sexy has little to do with clothing: it is a state of being. Body movement/positioning, eyes, head, all that, used effectively works wonders in projecting sexuality. It is a skill not easily learned and must be fine tuned and practiced. I know several women do their own hair/makeup, don't dress outlandishly, and yet who are gorgeous and sexy as older women. It's a complex thing and very fascinating.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Ladies, if I may be so bold. If you believe age is relevant to how good you look and you believe that men should not be looking at you in a erotic manner don't be upset when we look at younger woman or single guys go for younger woman who have a different mindset. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if their are those who admire be grateful and if you aren't then don't mind when they admire someone younger.
Me and a dead owl don't give a hoot.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:31 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Ladies, if I may be so bold. If you believe age is relevant to how good you look and you believe that men should not be looking at you in a erotic manner don't be upset when we look at younger woman or single guys go for younger woman who have a different mindset. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if their are those who admire be grateful and if you aren't then don't mind when they admire someone younger.
Say what?
I've tried to dissect and deconstruct this in ever which way and it still makes no sense at all.
Is age relevant to how good I look? Yes, there's not a 15-year-old on the planet who would look twice at me.
Do I believe men should or should not look at me in an erotic manner? Yes, some do, some don't.
Am I upset that you in particular look at a younger women? umm, no, I frankly don't give a damn. Why do you care?
Do single guys go for younger women? I suppose so, they're single for a reason.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? Well yes, this works for older women as well as younger men, what's your point?
Be grateful because men and women admire younger men and women? Okay, I am, it's their loss and their gain and their world, so what?

Tonight I watched an HBO show that features some of the most delicious young men imaginable, and the most delicious of all of them was shown naked (for the curious, he's Alcide on the HBO series True Blood). As much as I always enjoy watching him (he's the only reason I turn on the show at all), I wouldn't trade biscuitpop for 10 of him.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 06-16-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
There is a great deal of discussion regarding how older women try to be sexy thru dress - I believe that being perceived as beautiful and sexy has little to do with clothing: it is a state of being.
I'd somewhat disagree in that you seem to think it's different for men and women?
For me, the most sexy part of a man has always been his voice. This was as true when I was 24 as it is now that I'm 64.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 5,308 times
Ok...for all the hoot n holler...this subject has bothered me for awhile...not sixty but wont be long and I DO think about "what to wear" cuz to me it matters. Yes, I know classic colors & styles & fabrics are the fall back, and I have it in my closet- but guess what? Unless I'm at an important meeting or interviewing for a job or meeting the uber boss, the classic stuff stays in my closet. I prefer being a little playful. It's like walking a tightrope. I don't always get it right and some days people may wonder if I own a mirror, but I try to be true to my own style ... AND... gotta say that as a 50+ yr old woman I feel invisible (feel? I often AM). Guess part of me wants to say WTF look AT me not THRU me.
Biscuitmom, I agree.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:57 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,338 times
Someday I hope to own a white suit like Mark Twain wore.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The effects of gravity with some well endowed women might mean things are 'hanging out' below where you would expect or want them to.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 AM

768 posts, read 859,911 times
The only one who cares what you wear is YOU. I was raised to buy classic pieces that stand the test of time year after year. Are they more expensive? Yes, initially, but they last through all the fashion fads, etc. As you age, you look like you...not an old lady trying to relive her youth. More than half the fashion today are for young girls with very slim bodies but half the population is overweight. Talk about trying to stuff 200 pounds in a 50 pound sack.....not attractive. You don't have to dress as if you were on the way to a nursing home, but at some point, the leggings disappear, the sleeveless tanks go away and short shorts are tossed. Those who say they don't care how they look....well, those who look at you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement