Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 02:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times

Advertisements

You could say the same about every topic. One thread would be enough to discuss everything financial--yet this forum has multiple threads to discuss financial issues because they have different perspective. We have multiple threads to discuss health issues for the same reason. Multiple threads to discuss relationship issues. Multiple threads to discuss various places to live. Etc.

If we limit this forum to one single thread per topic, we'd have maybe ten threads in total. That's not how this forum works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
I'm retired from the computer information systems world and not photography is a full time job only on my schedule. I love it. Have our own studio, photograph parts of the state tourist never see, and do some creative collages for families then and now using shoe box photos of then and take the know. Keeps me busy and my mind working.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:29 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,387,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Just to be clear, one thread dedicated to photography could serve both purposes. .
I agree that you could still post comments about the photos in the photography thread. You could post a photo and then put a comment or thoughts under the photo.

I believe you can still post about everyday life or put comments under the photos. I think it's clear to people that visit that thread that it will be full of photos and comments on those photos. I don't think that the photos need to be "artistic" in nature by posting in that Photography thread.

And I'm not saying that photos can't or shouldn't be posted in other threads ever. I just think that it would be much better if the majority of photos were in one thread where people are purposely visiting that thread to look at photos and even comments about those photos.

I also think that blogs/diaries should be utilized by people. That isn't utilized enough and it would be a great way for those that want to post daily photos to post if they didn't want to post in the sticky thread. I realize some people have fans on this forum and the blog is a great way to have your fans follow your everyday movements in retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
You could say the same about every topic. One thread would be enough to discuss everything financial--yet this forum has multiple threads to discuss financial issues because they have different perspective. We have multiple threads to discuss health issues for the same reason. Multiple threads to discuss relationship issues. Multiple threads to discuss various places to live. Etc.

If we limit this forum to one single thread per topic, we'd have maybe ten threads in total. That's not how this forum works.
Absolutely as I mentioned above, I'm not saying that one thread would be enough for ALL photos. I just believe that it would make things much easier to do things that way for people that choose to share their photographs. As well, it will get the most exposure for those taking the time to post photographs. Obviously for people that take the time and trouble to post photos, it's because they want them to be seen or don't mind sharing them.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:

Didn't think you'd get it. More's the pity! Here's a clue. This forum works the way we posters - notice the plural - wish it to work within site guidelines. No one of us is in charge. Hate to prick your bubble.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:42 PM

I post heavily in photos but only discuss the taking of photos and field trips here. Keeps things better organized and neat.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Didn't think you'd get it. More's the pity! Here's a clue. This forum works the way we posters - notice the plural - wish it to work within site guidelines. No one of us is in charge. Hate to prick your bubble.
Fair enough, the forum works how "we" wish-- but getting back to the point are you trying to saying "we" posters want there to only a handful of threads, one for each general topic? Are you saying you want all financial threads to be merged into one thread? All health threads to be merged into one Health thread, All the relationships questions to be merged into on big Relationships thread, etc? That sounds cumbersome to me--I find it hard to find information I need on super long threads. I'd rather see lots of smaller threads dealing with specific topics. But, OTOH who knows. It be an interesting format, I suppose.

Also, just saying it one more time--the point of this particular thread is to discuss how photography is useful for retirees. It's a thread to explain/discuss why taking photos is helpful to retirees. I'd love to get back to that topic, and not be focusing on this side issue of which thread is the right place for posting photos.

What are some other ways retirees can use the habit of taking photos to make their life easier?

Old 07-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Retires get to use artistic skills never used before while slaving away putting food on the table. It keeps them out of the recliner exercising at a low impact level. It uses possibly the other side of the brain for over all mental health. The list is really endless. The benefits are wide spread and will apply differently to different retires. It provides conversation material for them to share with family and friends from across town to around the world. And one other great thing it is a cheap hobby with pocket pistol point and shoots sub $100. It doesn't take pro equipment like mine to make nice images to share via email.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Fair enough, the forum works how "we" wish-- but getting back to the point are you trying to saying "we" posters want there to only a handful of threads, one for each general topic? Are you saying you want all financial threads to be merged into one thread? All health threads to be merged into one Health thread, All the relationships questions to be merged into on big Relationships thread, etc? That sounds cumbersome to me--I find it hard to find information I need on super long threads. I'd rather see lots of smaller threads dealing with specific topics. But, OTOH who knows. It be an interesting format, I suppose.

Also, just saying it one more time--the point of this particular thread is to discuss how photography is useful for retirees. It's a thread to explain/discuss why taking photos is helpful to retirees. I'd love to get back to that topic, and not be focusing on this side issue of which thread is the right place for posting photos.

What are some other ways retirees can use the habit of taking photos to make their life easier?
Don't try to put words in my mouth, especially when they're wrong. What was right was when I said you didn't get it.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Retires get to use artistic skills never used before while slaving away putting food on the table.
Quote:
It keeps them out of the recliner exercising at a low impact level. It uses possibly the other side of the brain for over all mental health.
Quote:
It provides conversation material for them to share with family and friends from across town to around the world.
Quote:
And one other great thing it is a cheap hobby with pocket pistol point and shoots sub $100. It doesn't take pro equipment like mine to make nice images to share via email.
All very good reasons. I especially like the point about mental health. Lots of truth to that. When we stop working it's easy to stop using both sides of the brain if we don't take up a hobby or two.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,816,847 times
Quote:

I am a retiree and an amateur photographer and happily participate in the Photography Forum. Just happened upon this one. Won't post any photos here. However, I wanted to respond to this last question of other ways retirees can use the habit of taking photos to make their life easier.

I recently read a tip somewhere of photos you should take and keep on your cell phone. One was to take a photo of where you parked when going somewhere to help you locate your car later. Another was to have photos on your phone of the labels of all your medications. This could prove very helpful when you have an emergency or visit a new doctor where you have to fill out forms and lists all your meds and may not remember the details.

If you've acquired a collection of something and now need to part with it for financial reasons or because you have to move into a much smaller place, you could take photos of the collection before you pack it up or get rid of it. I once collected penguins and penguin-related items. I still have a handful of the smaller pieces but have photographs of the larger collection I had prior to my moving sale. The photos make me smile and take up hardly any space at all.

I've used my cell phone camera to take photos of damage when I had an accident with my car in Costco's parking lot and was able to send them right away to my insurance agent.

If I think of more reasons, I'll return and share them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement