Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times

Advertisements

Tek: I was in a new build where the owner had floor plugs installed in the middle of the floor to keep the extension cords to a minimum for lamps that were not near a wall outlet. I thought that was neat, but probably something you have to request in a new house ? I too have all those cord problems (under the lamp table) and put a decorative basket under the table for a better look. I love those wingback chairs and want to STEAL them !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,206,955 times
I love the dining room table. And actually all of the furniture is very well chosen and looks so nice and classic. Like the colors of all of it too.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
OMG Tek, I love love LOVE the wingback chairs!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure I explained it earlier, but those wingback chairs are recliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Tek: I was in a new build where the owner had floor plugs installed in the middle of the floor to keep the extension cords to a minimum for lamps that were not near a wall outlet. I thought that was neat, but probably something you have to request in a new house ? I too have all those cord problems (under the lamp table) and put a decorative basket under the table for a better look. I love those wingback chairs and want to STEAL them !!!!!!!
We've talked about the embedded power lines in the floor with a couple of contractors. They are reluctant to do it. It's a concrete slab, and apparently they post tensioned them in some areas of this subdivision. They don't want to take a chance on cutting the cable. Very dangerous.

As an alternative Mrs. Tek has found what she describes as a flat extension cable by using Google search. I haven't seen it yet, but she says they placed all the wires side-by-side instead of bundling them. This combined with a table that has outlets under a hinged cover should solve most of the problem. I''m not sure how "pretty" the box at the end of that flat cable is, but getting the myriad of other cables tucked in the table will make a world of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I love the dining room table. And actually all of the furniture is very well chosen and looks so nice and classic. Like the colors of all of it too.
Thank you. And thank everyone else that has commented. Finding the furniture was a long and frustrating process, but when we look at the result we feel it was worth it.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,780,324 times
I love the recliner wingbacks!!!!!! If you get a chance could you show them in the recline position?

Barb, they will fit nicely in my pickup!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:27 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,080,184 times
CCc : NO they won't !!! They will fit perfectly in my son in law's new truck and it's a heck of alot closer to home too !!!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:33 AM

LOL recliner stalkers! Tek, we're green with envy!!!!!!!!

Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Hey tek, any updates for us?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Not too much going on except bids for work to be done. We think we've settled on a contractor. We are meeting with her Wednesday to go over questions and finalize $$. Her price is borderline so if it goes up any because of changes we want we will be back at square one. She's really good, but cost is king.

The kitchen is really going to change. Larger pantry (about 14" to 30"), all base cabinets over 24" are roll out, the sink/DW area is changing from one with a 45 degree angle facing the family room to a square corner, which is going to add a lazy susan and larger cabinets. Taller upper cabinets. One of the doorways into the kitchen is going to be closed off and turned into shelves for cookbooks. The place in the nook where the two glass front cabinets are will be full height with shelves between (possibly - still not sure about the shelves) with two drawers under them to raise the tops in line with the cabinets.

The kitchen is going to be absolutely beautiful - after a couple of months of construction Hell.

Bathrooms are going to be pretty much gutted. The master stool is enclosed in a little room with a door. The door and walls are coming out. They really take up a lot of space and it seems silly to dodge each other when the area is available for use.

Right now I'm working in the garage. The previous owners left a desk top and three base cabinets that we didn't want in the house (smelled of smoking) so I hauled the out to where the golf cart normally goes and I'm in the process of adding pegboard between them and the upper cabinets and painting it all. So far, candy Apple red desktop, slate gray pegboard.

The rest of the garage will be a lighter gray as will the base cabinets (maybe). I'm toying with painting the drawer faces either red or the slate gray. I'm also thinking about painting the inside face of the doors red for a nice surprise when you open them. Or paint the base white to match the upper cabinets. I'll probaby start with light gray for the base cabinets and paint them white if I don't like the gray. Can you tell I haven't a clue what to do there?

I will take pictures when I'm a little farther along.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:44 AM

Forgot you asked to see the recliners reclined. Will try to get it together shortly.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Thanks, Tek, no rush. I see you've been hanging out on the 'what are you working on today' thread; I just read the whole thing and subscribed. Hopefully I will be posting there after we move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement