Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:27 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,494,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
The property taxes in TX are less then almost all the Northeast, several midwest states and the west coast. As for allergies, not sure what is special out there but.... it is always important to try before you buy.

correct but where we moved after 4 years in HCR, the property taxes are 1/3, utilities are 30% less, yes a very small offset by state income tax/, overall a $2300 gain a year on same value house after taking all into consideration.

San Antonio area has very high cedar pollen, some oak and high mold numbers as well. Does not bother some, but others have serious problems.

HCR is a really nice community and we still have several good friends there, but happy we moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 05:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,010,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
I live in SC and have not had any dust storms in the 7 years we have been here.
Maybe I'm not describing the right area, my apologies if that's the case. Am referring to Sun City, AZ. Here are several articles from local newspapers in the last few years regarding dust storms, the first one specifically mentions Sun City:

Dust storms raise valley fever risks - Your West Valley News: Suncity

Residents cleaning up after first dust storm of season rolls through Phoenix area | azfamily.com Phoenix

Here is a YouTube video about a SC dust storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LuyRep8eY

Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 PM

241 posts, read 272,014 times
That you tube vid is of a Arizona dust storm. Don't South Carolina has had many if any dust storms...................

Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,552,525 times
We moved to Sun City Summerlin, Las Vegas last October. We also looked at SC Anthem on the other side of town (A wave to KiwiKate), but could not find a suitable house there.

I've not read all the comments, but a few things I noticed I'd like to comment on.

The vampires behind the drapes. I got a chuckle out of that, because to some degree it's true. The interesting thing to note here is that the neighborhood we left, which was very mixed age-wise, was pretty much the same, So I consider that a wash.

Empty streets. Not here. We see a lot of people out walking on our street, and we live at the "edge of town" so to speak. This is not a community full of people sitting in their house all day.

Activities. We went to a Boomers club meeting last week. As an oddity we ended up at a table of seven people that were all new to SS. We who never win anything won $40 in a raffle, as did the woman that rode there with us. She also never wins anything. These people are active. They had a time for announcements and they had a ton of stuff talked about. Some existing activities; monthly dinners at someones house in groups of eight so every four months you got to host, as an example. Someone wanted to start a dinner and dance club, a club that goes to restaurants serving food you might not try on your own, etc. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Last night we went to a club fair where a lot of the available clubs are represented. It was packed. There were so many people there the noise level from conversations were so loud I could barely hear people I was talking to, and I had my aids in. A lot of very active, interesting, and happy people. And I noticed a number of younger people a well. I finally figured out they were married to someone over 55, but they weren't. I picked up info on a hiking club, woodworking shop, Bridge, stained glass, and a few others.

There are five community centers here and every one has at least one swimming pool, some have both indoor and outdoor. All the amenities you expect. This Saturday we are going to the Starbright theater up the hill for a show. The one we went to earlier this year was great. Rich Little was part of it. That man is amazing.

We meet so many people who love living here that it is overwhelming. If there are any sourpusses they must stay home, because we've not met a single one.

Someone in another thread once equated over 55 to prisons. Not their words, but the meaning was there. Contrary to popular belief we are allowed to leave the area without an ankle bracelet.

So far we are finding it to be a great place to live. We have not be overly active because we are spending a lot of time finding doctors, dentists. hair salons (I'm looking for my third salon. So far I've not found anyone that will listen to me when I tell them how to cut my hair and beard. Grrrrr), furniture, lining up remodeling, etc. But it is starting to wind down for a bit. The remodel won't start for probably a month so we get a break.

HOA Nazis. Haven't seen that here. Heard one story about it, but I got the impression it was a two way street. The house next to us is empty. The gentlemen went into a home and his niece bought it. They are in Houston and struggling to get things done here. They have spent a considerable amount of time over long weekends working on it, but it needs more time than that.The yard is looking a bit seedy, but no one is jumping on the bandwagon about it. We don't mind because we understand the difficulties involved, and we are getting some slack as well. The outside here is a bit iffy and we are concentrating inside. And the board member across the street seems to be okay with it, at least for now. So no Nazis spotted yet.

In all fairness it must be mentioned that this is just one over 55 community. It is not a guarantee that all of them are as nice as this one.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 03-12-2015 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-12-2015, 01:53 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,128,764 times
^^^

I am in the same situation in Green Valley, AZ. I have so many things going on in the local community that I find myself running out of time to get things done. The major accomplishment is that I have finally found new doctors and several other professionals.

Agree with you that there are very few crouches in this area. I think that part of it can be attributed to the fact that most people are very active and thus, are in pretty good shape. Also, everybody pretty much interacts with each other.

As for the HOA, there are really no issues. There are perhaps a dozen rules like don't put your trash out the night before as it attracts javelinas and keep your dog on a leash and pitch up after it. Our HOA leaders do contact absentee owners is their yards get rather seedy. However, the HOA has a guy who will fix the problem for $25-50 for the homeowners. Generally, they are happy to have the guy do it.

We get two free movies every month - usually Academy Award or art type films. We get several lectures each week. There are live shows, many classes and the like for a relatively small fees. Most of them are taught by residents.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,853,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Maybe I'm not describing the right area, my apologies if that's the case. Am referring to Sun City, AZ.
Sorry....when you wrote SC, I thought you were talking South Carolina.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
That you tube vid is of a Arizona dust storm. Don't South Carolina has had many if any dust storms...................
It was Sun City, AZ that was the area referred to regarding to dust storms, not South Carolina. I can see where you could be confused since just "SC" was written.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
And my apologies to you! I didn't see your other posting with the YT video.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:18 PM

241 posts, read 272,014 times
Quote:
Me too, sorry.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM

36 posts, read 58,390 times
Well, I had to Google what a javelina was...so this is a most educational thread on many levels. Yep, I'm a Wisconsin gal. I can identify most wildlife here, but clearly it's time I get out and expand my horizons a bit more.

The first stop we will make in our search and discovery visit is Fort Collins, Colorado. Hoping to discover more about the outdoor activities as well as the active communities in the area. Cross your fingers that all goes well!

I'm finding that Internet searches are most turning up communities in that area that are above our budget. Makes me laugh a bit when I see something that says 'affordable' and homes begin in low $400'. Yes, I know that to many that is affordable, but it's above our budget. This may well be just the ones that my search engine is discovering. Perhaps if I clear the cache I'll expand the results.

Such an interesting thread, I'm learning a lot about other states as well. Fabulous!

Namaste,
S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement