Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nobody does rollover minutes. It is all unlimited talk and text these days.

When we had two flip phones with ATT we paid $60 a month for 550 roll over minutes, plus $10 for texting. That was three years ago. Now we pay $90 a month for two iPhones, unlimited text and talk with a moderate data plan.
My roll over minutes are a form of equity I have earned by being highly responsible in my usage.

If I cannot port that equity to a new plan then the new plan is not very interesting to me. Since new (e.g. "supposedly-smart" phone) plans are unlimited voice and text, therefore, porting would have to apply to data. But of course the phone companies are not agreeing to do this.

I continue to cling to my duct taped old flip phone.

(Interestingly, I am now witnessing some younger folks resurrecting old flip phones of late ... )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your insurance company does not have access to your GPS. Some insurance companies offer discounts based on your driving as measured by a device that they send you to install in your car.
But they may subpoena a car's black box. And the black box logs GPS records in addition to other data.

Big brother is here.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:10 PM

Yep, and at least 90% of the public have no clue about this.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:12 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
You can buy some really nice dumb phones on ebay. I bought a samsung i-350 for $10, it was all I needed to receive calls forwarded from our old landline after we moved. As far as plans, if you aren't a heavy user- Ting offers really cheap rates. My husband and I don't make or receive many calls and most of our data is while we are on wi-fi but we do tend to text quite a bit. With Ting our bill for two phones ranges from $40 to $60. https://z3ab5e32d99.ting.com/ (if you use that link I get $25 if you sign up and so do you) but feel free to just type in ting.com =)

Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can buy some really nice dumb phones on ebay. I bought a samsung i-350 for $10, it was all I needed to receive calls forwarded from our old landline after we moved. As far as plans, if you aren't a heavy user- Ting offers really cheap rates. My husband and I don't make or receive many calls and most of our data is while we are on wi-fi but we do tend to text quite a bit. With Ting our bill for two phones ranges from $40 to $60. https://z3ab5e32d99.ting.com/ (if you use that link I get $25 if you sign up and so do you) but feel free to just type in ting.com =)
Yep there are some alternatives out there.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:49 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
The cell I have now is the first real smart phone. I got tired of getting refurbished mildly smart ones which died in a few months, refirbished still being used. Over ten years ago I dumped the landline so I've been using cells for some time.

I was thinking that maybe I didn't use the smart stuff enough, and that maybe I could save a little money when I thought I'd lost the one I have now. I got a cheap repaired one with less features which wouldn't work and didn't use the replacement long when I found the new one that got stuck under the couch cushion (no idea HOW it managed to get there). I'm SO glad to have my nice phone back. I don't even use the internet stuff. I have three laptops so there is no need, but having finally gotten used to the operating system, I think all is lost... Just like when I got used to windows I wouldn't be going back to xp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement