Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Where I live in Pennsylvania doctors are required by LAW to report a condition to the DMV if there is a medical condition that could affect someone's driving. I know someone that had a seizure and they had their license taken away for a minimum of 6 months. It is for the safety of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
OP, I am still curious as to why you informed the DMV about your cataract surgery? Did you not pass the eye test and THAT is why they said something about your doctor having to fill out a form?

I just a couple of hours ago renewed my driver's license -- I had cataract surgery on 2/18 and 3/4 and was waiting to be sure I could pass the vision test. I did, so the DMV doesn't need anything else from me -- my license doesn't have any restrictions on it. The state of New Hampshire DOES have a form that can be used in cases where the applicant FAILS the vision test in the DMV office -- their eye doctor can fill out the form attesting that the person PASSED there. Here the standard is 20/40 with both eyes or if you can only see out of one eye, that eye has to be 20/30. As far as I know the eye form doesn't ask about anything else.

Best of luck to you -- I too would be devastated if I couldn't drive!!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,051 times
A normal range for an A1c is usually around 5.7-6.4%
Adults with diabetes are usually considered within control have A1c values under 7%
An A1c over 10% is not considered under control, patient not taking meds, not correct dosage or not following diet.

Glucose, (many just call this "Sugar"), usually has a normal range of 65-100 mg/dL

Units are always important when comparing numbers, so it is a apples to apples comparison.

A1c is an easy indication of an average Glucose of the previous 30 days
It became common because routinely diabetic patients would "be good" a week of so before their doctor checkup and stay off sweets, when they had a blood draw.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:05 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
At 67 the DMV wants a full run down of my diabetic condition, while the numbers are higher than normal they dont fluctuate much so i guess its somewhat controlled, With 5-7 being normal my blood sugar runs in the 10-12 range
My doctor will fill out the forms they want on Monday i hope whatever he reports allays their concerns that i'm not a danger to drive.A revocation of my drivers license at this point in my life would be devastating as my normal daily routine would end and i;d be relegated to a very sedentary life.
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
My father had to stop driving because of cataracts. He just started taking a cab or riding with friends that could drive.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I am still curious as to why you informed the DMV about your cataract surgery? Did you not pass the eye test and THAT is why they said something about your doctor having to fill out a form?

I just a couple of hours ago renewed my driver's license -- I had cataract surgery on 2/18 and 3/4 and was waiting to be sure I could pass the vision test. I did, so the DMV doesn't need anything else from me -- my license doesn't have any restrictions on it. The state of New Hampshire DOES have a form that can be used in cases where the applicant FAILS the vision test in the DMV office -- their eye doctor can fill out the form attesting that the person PASSED there. Here the standard is 20/40 with both eyes or if you can only see out of one eye, that eye has to be 20/30. As far as I know the eye form doesn't ask about anything else.

Best of luck to you -- I too would be devastated if I couldn't drive!!

It says on my drivers license that i am required to wear glasses, after the cataract surgery i no longer need to wear glasses,The doctor gave me the form oking me to drive,on that form was a questionnaire about other illnesses or physical problems i might have,do you have diabetes was one of the questions.it says on the annual drivers license renewal form that any changes in physical condition must be reported so i reported the change.also i thought it would avoid a major hassle with insurance if i had an accident and the investigation noticed i wasnt wearing glasses when my drivers permit says i should be wearing glasses.
While Its basically a bureaucratic tempest in a teapot it has the potential for my license being revoked.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
My father had to stop driving because of cataracts. He just started taking a cab or riding with friends that could drive.
I had a cataract , but then I bought a ford instead.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I had a cataract , but then I bought a ford instead.
Bahahahaha!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:10 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
California and Utah have mandates for physicians to report cognitive impairment and dementia.

Reporting by Physicians of Impaired Drivers and Potentially Impaired Drivers

Old 03-26-2015, 02:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Any one else had to deal with a revocation of their drivers license ? how did you adapt?
The main focus of the topic was to hear stories of people who unexpectedly lost their license and how their lifestyle changed as a result.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
The main focus of the topic was to hear stories of people who unexpectedly lost their license and how their lifestyle changed as a result.
I've thought about this since I'm over twenty miles from town. However, Walmart is near my end of town and there are very few cops out in the middle of the night. I'd set up a corporation to buy car insurance and plates so I wouldn't need to produce a driver's license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement