Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 08:28 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,010 times

Advertisements

Oh, I have had that "one shot" experience that brings you back. I have landed a couple of 300+ yard drives in the fairway (many years ago) and I have holed out from off the green a few times. I also hit the windshield of my boss' cart while he was in it with a client once. I got okay at it, but still had the occasional ridiculously bad shot and rare amazingly good shot. I was inconsistent and did not have a burning desire to get better. I would rather go fishing and would rather spend my money on fishing equipment and trips. Nothing against golf; it just isn't my thing and I gave it a chance to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Started going through clothes today. I don't have a lot of clothes but some don't currently fit me, so instead of packing something I may never wear again, I started making a bundle for donating.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:19 PM

174 posts, read 257,582 times
Shredded for about an hour and a half. It looks like I'm done with the 24 yrs of stuff...unless I unearth something else during my decluttering!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
I love shredding! Did that in July.

Today, when I should have been at the beach (hot as blazes), I got the bug to tackle and downsize my computer files. This comes after weeks of microorganizing the basement and garage (90% fini).

The backups of my files are poorly archived. I have numerous duplicates of files between my big Mac and my laptop. What a mess, though I'm more organized on this than most I know.

The personal files (finance, health info and recipes, etc) are much more easy to slim down but there are TONS of family and grandkid photos. TONS of writing documents.

At my age, I'm wondering if I should dump most of the latter and just take up another hobby. After all the organization and reworking and sending out, I'm not at all sure I want to use the rest of my life on this. Is it downright laziness? It's a dilemma....

Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I love shredding! Did that in July.

Today, when I should have been at the beach (hot as blazes), I got the bug to tackle and downsize my computer files. This comes after weeks of microorganizing the basement and garage (90% fini).

The backups of my files are poorly archived. I have numerous duplicates of files between my big Mac and my laptop. What a mess, though I'm more organized on this than most I know.

The personal files (finance, health info and recipes, etc) are much more easy to slim down but there are TONS of family and grandkid photos. TONS of writing documents.

At my age, I'm wondering if I should dump most of the latter and just take up another hobby. After all the organization and reworking and sending out, I'm not at all sure I want to use the rest of my life on this. Is it downright laziness? It's a dilemma....
Could you move these files to an external hard drive and stick it in a box somewhere? They'll be off your computer, but not totally and permanently dumped. So someday in the future, if you decided you want to take another look at them, you can.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:44 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
nothing

Old 09-10-2015, 07:12 PM

174 posts, read 257,582 times
RiverBird, I feel the same way that you do. I have spent many, many hours scanning 1,000 photos, trying to organize them for the future, especially for my kids. I also took dozens of pics of favorite things before donating them. Then I begin to think seriously about it. How many senior years do I have left? Although I treat each and every day with respect and gratitude, I know I won't live forever. Just how much time am I willing to devote to preserving the past? I decided to scan like crazy and put all the pics on separate flash drives, all labeled, for both of my kids. They're off of the computer and off of the hard drive. I will leave behind a dozen small photo albums and a half dozen flash drives if and when they are ever interested in looking at pics from their childhood. I'm about 3/4 the way through the entire project and would like to finish up this fall. If not, I may finish it during the cold winter months. Then, I can be guilt free and know I did my best to save the memories without burdening myself or others with boxes and boxes of stuff. You're also right about the idea of "dumping it all". I have thought about the same thing. No one would miss it, no one would even know. I probably wouldn't miss it either!

Old 09-10-2015, 09:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldentraveler View Post
. . .I decided to scan like crazy and put all the pics on separate flash drives, all labeled, for both of my kids. They're off of the computer and off of the hard drive. I will leave behind a dozen small photo albums and a half dozen flash drives if and when they are ever interested in looking at pics from their childhood. . . .
On, my gosh! Please do this with family photos. One of my friends is delighting in the (long) process of sorting through her dad's many hard drives of family photos. What does it cost you to assume that someone will cherish these photos?

Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,797,010 times
Old family photos are really hard to part with. I have a bunch. Many are people I never knew and my grandmother's hand written information on the back is what has kept me from getting rid of them. When I was little, one of my grandmothers had an 8mm camera and was a good videographer before anyone knew there was such a thing. We had big Christmas gatherings in the 60s with extended family from both sides. She would go around the room and say something to get a smile and maybe a chuckle (no sound, but you can tell) from everyone, never lingering too long on anyone but long enough. I have them digitized and they are like gold. My kids will even watch those. The older photos are not really relevant for my generation and those below. I really don't need but one per person and even those could be digitized. But it is so hard to get rid of them...

Old 09-11-2015, 10:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Old family photos are really hard to part with. I have a bunch. Many are people I never knew and my grandmother's hand written information on the back is what has kept me from getting rid of them. When I was little, one of my grandmothers had an 8mm camera and was a good videographer before anyone knew there was such a thing. We had big Christmas gatherings in the 60s with extended family from both sides. She would go around the room and say something to get a smile and maybe a chuckle (no sound, but you can tell) from everyone, never lingering too long on anyone but long enough. I have them digitized and they are like gold. My kids will even watch those. The older photos are not really relevant for my generation and those below. I really don't need but one per person and even those could be digitized. But it is so hard to get rid of them...
How are you archiving the still photos digitally so they will be preserved when digital reading devices inevitably change over the years? Is a DVD or CD better than a thumb drive? (No I don't want to do Cloud, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement