Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

We got rid of the final piece of heavy furniture (that we want to part with) yesterday, a tall maple dresser that weighed a ton.

Now, even with all this purging over the last few years, we still have way too much "necessary" stuff for the next move (to a cottage-type house). Anyone else feel that way, that it feels like an uphill battle at a stage in life when you don't really want to be dealing with it all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
How are you archiving the still photos digitally so they will be preserved when digital reading devices inevitably change over the years? Is a DVD or CD better than a thumb drive? (No I don't want to do Cloud, etc).
Sorry, but IMO you eliminated the only good answer there at the end. Physical media has age limitations. I go with multiple cloud locations. If you go with the major players, even if they were to go under someone will probably pick up the files to get the users. If you go with physical, you need to make multiple copies and get on a rigorous schedule of making new copies.

Old 09-11-2015, 04:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
How are you archiving the still photos digitally so they will be preserved when digital reading devices inevitably change over the years? Is a DVD or CD better than a thumb drive? (No I don't want to do Cloud, etc).
There are computers being sold today with no CD/DVD drives.
There's really no need for them anymore.

Eventually USB will be replaced as well with something faster.
USB-C is making its way into the market.

Whatever you decide to store your pics on you also need to keep up with technology and move it all to the newer devices.

Maybe in the long run it is better to have a box of physical pictures tucked away in the closet.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:40 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
We got rid of the final piece of heavy furniture (that we want to part with) yesterday, a tall maple dresser that weighed a ton.

Now, even with all this purging over the last few years, we still have way too much "necessary" stuff for the next move (to a cottage-type house). Anyone else feel that way, that it feels like an uphill battle at a stage in life when you don't really want to be dealing with it all?
Yes & no. I lost so much that I treasure what I've bought since then. Yes, I'll end up paying to ship it if I do decide to move, but it's especially the kitchen things. You need a lot to cook good, spices, the correct cookware, utensils, storage containers, etc. That's life if you choose to cook, which I do. So, yes, I understand.

I will add, when I lost my house & then my car was totalled, it was very hard to choose what to take as I couldn't take a lot with me as I was going by bus. Out of a whole house I saved 20 boxes, but I had to leave things I'll never be able to replace at a decent price. That's one thing I asked myself, what would be hard to replace?

Old 09-13-2015, 06:34 AM

4 boxes from the attic donated yesterday, a couple of middle school trumpets sold last week, listed a couple of old iron benchtop tools and a stand today (though I will likely replace one of those tools with a lighter new one).

Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
sounds like you're doing good, ReachTheBeach!

Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
sounds like you're doing good, ReachTheBeach!
Maybe; back is reminding me why I need to get rid of the old iron tools. Just moving them around for photos to post tweaked my back.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Beach, are you craigslisting or ebaying?

More stuff out the door on ebay. Yay!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Beach, are you craigslisting or ebaying?

More stuff out the door on ebay. Yay!
On big stuff, CL. Also I did the trumpets that way to give the buyers hands on and once they had decided to buy, the opportunity to try playing (would require sanitizing again if they didn't want it, but both buyers were happy). I have 100% +FB on eBay partly because I avoid selling items that have too much subjectivity. I have refunded money on a musical instrument that I think was fine (and so did the eventual buyer).

Old 09-14-2015, 07:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
I've been paring down around here for a while now. Not sure if we'll go into something smaller or stay here. Regardless, this much stuff is hard to clean around! I feel more content when I'm not stuffed around me. This past year I've made dozens of trips to the local donation spots around. Last trip was with furniture and stuff I'd accumulated for the grandkids...but they're growing up and a 16 year old doesn't have much use for a baby crib! Now if I could just lose a few more pounds I could get rid of one set of clothes and just have the smaller size!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement