Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:28 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,949,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I actually travel less in retirement if you count the number of trips. When you live in paradise, it is difficult to really feel motivated to travel to a lot of other places. Besides, there is so much going on in this area that I do not want to miss.
Do you mind revealing the location of this paradise? Thanks ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 02:15 PM

554 posts, read 748,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
No traveling, zip, zero, nada.

I spent most of my adult life traveling/ vacationing in this great U. S. and Canada. Sometimes with my horses in tow, sometimes not.

It was not idle talk when I Told everyone my retirement would consist of sitting on this hill and watching my horses eat grass all day long.

I bought my Saturn brand new in 2002 and it just turned 52,000 miles --- I was not kidding.

I am perfectly content to make my biggest adventure being the Red Tail Hawk expressing his displeasure at me scaring away the fat field mouse when I was bush hogging the pasture

I thoroughly enjoy hearing others recount their adventures but, I am happy to on this quiet hill, on an even more quiet one lane road
... Wow! I envy that! ...

We're nowhere-near that, yet ... But, once we do get resettled (somewhere!), that's sort-a my dream: sit, out on a quiet hill, watching "th' world" roll (or trot) by, and liftin' a glass.

BUT FIRST ... ! I wanna see the Sun rise on those ol' Smoky Mountains, see all those bears we see on those nature programs that are standing-around waiting for salmon to jump, see Old Faithful, and maybe spend a whole Winter in the Bahamas ... little things for some folks, but things I'd like to see - some day.
Thanks for helping to color the Dream!

Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM

14,983 posts, read 9,907,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladl View Post
do you mind revealing the location of this paradise? Thanks ;-)
x2

Old 06-03-2015, 07:58 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,408,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Do you mind revealing the location of this paradise? Thanks ;-)

Green Valley, AZ

Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,949,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Green Valley, AZ
jlawrence01,

Thanks! Green Valley seems like a very nice place. I would not mind retire there and in many beautiful places in the west if it wasn't for the water concern which seems to get worse recently.

Green Valley, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In the desert southwest, water sustainability is a major concern. According to a 2007 report by Pima County, 76,000 acre feet (94,000,000 m3) of water was pumped from the aquifer in the Upper Santa Cruz Valley in 2006, with 85 percent of that water being used for mining and agriculture. The remaining 15 percent was split between water used for golf courses and residential/commercial water use. The report explains that "The Green Valley area does not have a sustainable water supply given current groundwater pumping rates... the water table in Green Valley has been declining in past years, and is expected to decline even faster as water demands [continue to increase]...". The report concludes that "Water supplies will become critical within the next ten years.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,408,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
jlawrence01,

Thanks! Green Valley seems like a very nice place. I would not mind retire there and in many beautiful places in the west if it wasn't for the water concern which seems to get worse recently.

Green Valley, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do realize that there are some political considerations that generated that report. There are other hydrologists in the area that dispute those results.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM

708 posts, read 724,811 times
I want to make it too all 50 states, about 38 so far. We will finish rest when I retire. Hopefully, trip to Europe and Australia. Been on lots of cruise and destination vacations, it will be nice to have more time to enjoy what each area has to offer instead of always on a deadline when to get back to work!

Old 06-05-2015, 12:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,427,485 times
I want to be able to travel to see my kids/grandkids in retirement. Would love to have a Summer Cabin on the beach in Texas - but not sure that will happen. I would love to do a cruise in retirement and a road trip in the East for Fall colors one year. I'm at least 5 1/2 years from retirement - more ideas will come with time.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,976,023 times
A little bit but not much outside of seeing family.

When I was younger I worked as a ferry pilot delivering small planes to 48 states. The only two I missed was Hawaii and Vermont. I've flown over Vermont but never landed so I guess I've never been there.

Been all over Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas and Central America north of Panama.

In case you are wondering how do you get a small plane to Hawaii you do not fly from California, you simply can not get enough gasoline even with extra bladder tanks, so you fly east. In my day it was across Iceland, England, southern Europe, the middle east and the Indian subcontinent etc. Maybe things have changed but I am talking early 1970's and that is how it was done.

I have two trips I want to take.

I want to go on a cruise through the Panama Canal with my wife. I want a balcony room and we are thinking of going in the Spring of 2017 so less than two years.

I also want to follow the historical trail of Bonnie and Clyde.

I have the book.

Traveling History with Bonnie and Clyde: A Road Tripper's Guide to Gangster Sites in Middle America: Robin Cole Jett: 9780615241036: Amazon.com: Books

Yeah, I am weird and my wife says on this trip I can go alone. Thing is we've all seen the movie but in real life they traveled much father and wider than most people can imagine.

Other than that go to California and Idaho on occasion to see family.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:17 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,327,539 times
My husband and I plan to pay off the house before we retire to use as home base in summer, and then go traveling around the southern states during the winter months. Contemplating purchasing a small RV at that point so we can have a feeling of being "home on the road" when we travel. It's still just an idea, though, not set in stone.

I'm fond of international travel, but my husband isn't - so those trips I'll have to either go alone or get my daughter to go with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement