Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 AM

14,974 posts, read 9,890,989 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have two homes and will spend time at both homes throughout our retirement. My wife also has a bit of gypsy in her and loves to travel. I'm Ok with travel but I find great satisfaction from the simpler things like hunting and fishing/boating and privacy that some land affords. Living in TN and FL I have all I'll ever need... but my wife needs more. I enjoy places like this as an example; Costa Rica Fishing Costa Rica Fishing at Crocodile Bay Resort

We are already "Diamond" cruisers and I'm just about over cruising but for a few destinations like New Zealand, long Pacific Cruise, Straights of Magellan, etc. My cruising bucket list is about empty. I'm more into adventure travel now and my wife is more tourist travel.

For those about to retire how much time and percentage of retirement funds did you budget for travel?
For those retired tell me about your travel portfolio and where did you travel?
How did y'all reconcile where to "go"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 08:02 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,834,507 times
Since Sept...when we retired to Tennessee we have gone to Gulf Shores, Alabama....West Virginia...Cherokee NC twice..love it there..a Caribbean cruise...going back to Cherokee in August...for us even going to visit friends is considered traveling....we have NEVER gone to these many places...going to Nashville In July...never been there... we are having fun...we just go with the flow!!!Do things when we want...

Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,810,419 times
I think not much outside of driving to see family. But that's just my vote.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:09 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,662,467 times
Go to Florida for Spring Training in March. One or two baseball weekend road trips during the year. Pittsburgh is next (such a beautiful stadium). Otherwise most travel is to Nats Park in SE DC. We have season tickets there. And pre-paid parking. Life is good.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:36 AM

1,665 posts, read 1,932,683 times
No traveling, zip, zero, nada.

I spent most of my adult life traveling/ vacationing in this great U. S. and Canada. Sometimes with my horses in tow, sometimes not.

It was not idle talk when I Told everyone my retirement would consist of sitting on this hill and watching my horses eat grass all day long.

I bought my Saturn brand new in 2002 and it just turned 52,000 miles --- I was not kidding.

I am perfectly content to make my biggest adventure being the Red Tail Hawk expressing his displeasure at me scaring away the fat field mouse when I was bush hogging the pasture

I thoroughly enjoy hearing others recount their adventures but, I am happy to on this quiet hill, on an even more quiet one lane road

Old 05-31-2015, 10:49 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,103,827 times
Want to see the whole east coast including NE, Savannah, Maine, DC, Charleston. But I won't fly so have to live closer to those areas than I do now. Hope to make it happen. Sooner than later.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,810,419 times
Expanding on my earlier answer. I have been to 48 states including HI. MX, CA and some Caribbean islands are the extent of my foreign travel but I have no interest in further trips. Anyway, I can afford to live pretty well at a US beach, which is where I prefer to get away to. I plan to keep the travel budget small by living where I enjoy being most. I will still be near family.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:53 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,623,189 times
We retired in January, then spent much of the spring in South America.

Heading to Asia later this summer starting in Taiwan and ending in India, will probably be back to the states in late 2016.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:33 PM

30,711 posts, read 16,352,003 times
might go up to Maine one more time. Maybe spend an entire year up there. Or not.

One of the things I considered when I took early retirement was that I wouldn't be able to travel as much. No regrets.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:53 PM

6,649 posts, read 7,392,589 times
I do not think a form will help. It is an individual preference. I would lean toward zero non family travel, but and exception can always be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement