Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 05:12 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,242,361 times

Advertisements

We moved from the frozen north to Savannah in our early 60s and have enjoyed all the new experiences, and opportunities to explore. I will say that it is very expensive to move long distance, so don't drag a lot of stuff with you.
If you are dependent upon your friends and family relationships, being without them will be the hardest adjustment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 06:29 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,005,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My wife and I uprooted ourselves at ages 61 and 63, respectively, and made a 2,000 mile move from the west coast to the Ozarks. Piece of cake and a grand adventure. That was six years ago and we're still kickin' and enjoying it.
You two should write a book.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:54 AM

34 posts, read 56,074 times
I'm going to assume you asked this as a joke to see how people would respond. Hope it's a great move for you guys.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,825,338 times
I did sort of snort when I read your question! I live in a sort of retirement heaven and just about everyone who lives here moved from somewhere else and almost all are over 60. Thousands and thousands of retired people move every year. Unless you are really in poor health, I can't imagine what would stop you.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:56 AM

14,280 posts, read 14,823,288 times
We retired at age 62 and relocated to Charleston SC. Best move we ever made.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:29 AM

10,837 posts, read 14,964,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
My two cents worth.

You are never to old for anything as long as your general health and mind is reasonably good.

I say reasonable because I don't think any of us had the health we had when we were 20.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,340,673 times
I don't think it's a silly or troll question at all. I understand it completely. Weather can be a big question mark. I'm from Oregon, my husband has never lived outside of California. We sometimes think of retiring back to Portland near my family, but I wonder how he would do with the inclement weather and living in the snow for the first time in his life. If we had been considering it in our 30's I wouldn't have given it much thought. But living in snow for the first time in your life at the age of 65 can be a little worrisome.

Also, as some others have said, it can be harder to meet people when you don't have jobs and kids to put you in contact with other people on a daily basis. Some people have church, but not everyone is religious.

The point of my post being, I don't think it's a silly question. It's not always about being "young and healthy enough" to move. Sometimes it's the fact that after retirement, it's easier to be isolated, not as easy meeting people, or you're set in your ways.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:18 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,407,826 times
It was not a joke question. We all come from different mindsets and what might appear illogical to some is quite front and center to others. We have been in the same locale for most of our lives so it is a big step to consider. Also our grown children and aging parents are here. We do have family and a few acquaintances in the area under consideration and we both have strong interests to become involved in there so not worried about that aspect so much.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:52 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,058,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
The point of my post being, I don't think it's a silly question. It's not always about being "young and healthy enough" to move. Sometimes it's the fact that after retirement, it's easier to be isolated, not as easy meeting people, or you're set in your ways.
Except the question wasn't what are some issues involved in moving after 62. It was a simple yes or no question: is 62 too old to move and start anew? Would your response have been no? Of course not! No one here would answer no to that question.

That's what makes it a silly question to ask.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,005,937 times
From where I sit, facing 70 in 3 1/2 years, age 62 is young. And anyway, young or old, I'm all for changes. They can rejuvenate us, keep us on our toes, give us great new focus and goals, and actually be fun—a lot of money or not. It is entirely possible we will make a big change in about 3 years, for the first time following our hearts instead of our heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement