Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,475,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
There are people going for divorce at that age and higher ... that is a lot more drastic than a mere move.

So ... no. You are not too old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,256,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
Gee I certainly hope it isn't! I plan on relocating 1,800 miles this fall!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 AM

7,074 posts, read 6,354,740 times
And I'm thinking of it for next spring, it depends on when I'm accepted for senior housing. May have to wait until the fall or spring after that or I may stay here. Just don't know yet. But that's the beauty of it. You're no longer tied to an area because that's adhere your job was.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 AM

563 posts, read 527,164 times
Default Relocating and Adventures, and the like

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
"when you (sic) only outlet is limited to only one person,...." And that's the problem and solution. Do not limit yourself to only one person. Get out there, do something. We moved into a house we only saw once after the closing. We knew no one, had no idea where anything was, had no clue what it was going to belike living in a place that was mostly farms or ranches. So, we went out and made friends - I did that by volunteering, by getting involved in a group, and by keeping an open mind and learning what it was like to grow up and live here. I was shocked to learn that close to 90% of the people born here have never lived or visited anywhere else. Some of the people here never left the county, nevermind the state. And I'm still meeting "natives" and learning and making friends.

I adore my husband and couldn't wait for him to retire so we could spend more time together. We spend - and enjoy - all of our time together, and love nothing more than taking vacations we call "honeymoons". But I like him. He likes me. We enjoy many of the same things but also give each other space to do our own thing. It's not where you live, it's how you live. And if the couple aren't friends by retirement time, where they live will not keep them together nor is the move the reason they didn't stay together.

Exactly my point. It isn't "as" easy to meet people as it is when there are children, jobs, family to keep one connected to the world outside of home. So it requires a little effort.

If you want to meet people, volunteer at something. It does two things, it gets you up and out of the house and it gives you opportunities to make friends.

The opportunities to meet people don't come to you, as they did when you were younger, you have to reach out to the opportunities when you're older and new.

Annie, I can see where you are coming from and that is great if your parents or the OP are "joiners." My parents were not. The concept of a new beginning at any age is exciting! So is jumping out of a plane for the first time, but parachuting out of a plane is not for everyone. If you have had the same friend base for 40 to 50 years, it sounds rather flip to say, "Oh yeah, will just make new friends." Life does not work that way. If you have had the same people in your life for a long time, it is asinine to believe that there will not be a lot of 'shock' for anyone. There is a happy medium I believe. I would suggest that the OP actually go and live where they are planning to relocate, and rent. Keep the old home and give the new place a test drive. It could save thousands of dollars and perhaps a lot of heartache if things don't work out. Some people say, "You can never go back," I say "You should do whatever you want to do," just do your homework first.

Last edited by Hollywood55; 06-16-2015 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: one too many

Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 PM

336 posts, read 540,184 times
Lots of people move when they retire.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:19 PM

2,376 posts, read 4,891,844 times
We have moved twice in the last 8 years. Sold our house in western PA and moved to new build in South Carolina when we were 55 and 56. Then a year ago I decided that I wanted to be closer to our DD, so we sold that house and moved to another new build in Delaware. We have been here 2 months now. We are 62 and 63.

Definitely NOT too old!

Old 06-19-2015, 07:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 6,511,635 times
Theres a big difference between 62 and 72, at 62 I had a lot of energy and could still work all day, I could have easily moved then. Now I am tired out quickly

Old 06-19-2015, 10:06 PM

155 posts, read 149,642 times
When considering relocating or a retirement adventure the first thing to do is to dump the "mind baggage" of prejudices and preconceived ideas. If you're physically able, you can move at any age.

Our move, at age 65 (me) and 60 (my wife) from South Africa to the Philippines has been an adventure. I'm still working but in the next few years we will continue our move around the world (some places in Asia first and then to South America).

Just moving around America sounds quite tame!

Old 06-22-2015, 01:05 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,163,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatMil View Post
When considering relocating or a retirement adventure the first thing to do is to dump the "mind baggage" of prejudices and preconceived ideas. If you're physically able, you can move at any age.

Our move, at age 65 (me) and 60 (my wife) from South Africa to the Philippines has been an adventure. I'm still working but in the next few years we will continue our move around the world (some places in Asia first and then to South America).

Just moving around America sounds quite tame!

While you might think that people here are talking about moving from one town to another, the differences between living in N. Dakota and Florida are more drastic than from S. Africa to the Philippines - you see, there are huge differences in climate and topography which is not true with your example. Can you picture living in the largest city (NYC) in the northeast with its freezing and snowy winters and population of 1 city block over 1000 people to a town in the mid-south where an inch of snow can shut down a whole town with a population under 1000 - similar to moving from Norway to Portugal.

So moving around America IS a big deal, there are so many differences; differences which are huge, such as:

Cities with populations in the millions versus one with 800; business environment to one of cottonfields and sweet potatoes; 24 hr public transportation systems to none. That's even true within some of the larger states nevermind state-to-state or region-to-region. The hazards along the coasts with hurricanes versus the central states with tornadoes. (That shift took me a lot to adjust to and I haven't experienced a tornado here.)

But I applaud your adventurousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement