Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 10:07 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,909,702 times

Advertisements

OP: I know what you mean about "nobody around us has done this". We don't know anyone either, except a fellow pastor, that has picked up and moved to someplace totally new or taken on a new adventure. Most people just stay where they are. Some retire and do almost nothing. I see that all the time. I know quite a few that just keep on working, because they don't know what else to do with themselves. Some babysit their grand kids or play golf every day, but stay right here and never consider moving.

That's why these forums are a great place to find like minded people. So don't be swayed to not take on an adventure. Think about it. RReagan became president at 69 or 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
Definitely an adventure.

One worth experiencing.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
Considering the huge carbon footprint that that couple has and is creating, I would suggest the wind up their affairs and leave the party known as life. Save some resources for those behind them. You've had a long life...don't be greedy.
You still here?

Old 06-13-2015, 01:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
I would say, probably yes, it is too late in life to change everything. Read on. I say this, as my parents did the same time when my parents decided to retire and relocate. You may not notice it, but your life is not where you live geographically, but where you live as in the community of people that you interact with all of the time. Your friends, and even benign people in your life, like the bank tellers, the server at the coffee chop, the checker at the grocery store, all of these people contribute to the quality of life you presently enjoy, especially your fiends.

My parents moved to Florida years ago. They lasted just over a year. When you only outlet is limited to only one person, that is an enormous task to fulfill the others needs. I think they would still be together had they had not have decided to move. You know your situation best. My dad now lives in a home. My mother lives with a lady she know from church. They never talk. But thats just my two cents. Good luck in whatever direction you decide to take.
"when you (sic) only outlet is limited to only one person,...." And that's the problem and solution. Do not limit yourself to only one person. Get out there, do something. We moved into a house we only saw once after the closing. We knew no one, had no idea where anything was, had no clue what it was going to belike living in a place that was mostly farms or ranches. So, we went out and made friends - I did that by volunteering, by getting involved in a group, and by keeping an open mind and learning what it was like to grow up and live here. I was shocked to learn that close to 90% of the people born here have never lived or visited anywhere else. Some of the people here never left the county, nevermind the state. And I'm still meeting "natives" and learning and making friends.

I adore my husband and couldn't wait for him to retire so we could spend more time together. We spend - and enjoy - all of our time together, and love nothing more than taking vacations we call "honeymoons". But I like him. He likes me. We enjoy many of the same things but also give each other space to do our own thing. It's not where you live, it's how you live. And if the couple aren't friends by retirement time, where they live will not keep them together nor is the move the reason they didn't stay together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

Also, as some others have said, it can be harder to meet people when you don't have jobs and kids to put you in contact with other people on a daily basis. Some people have church, but not everyone is religious.

Sometimes it's the fact that after retirement, it's easier to be isolated, not as easy meeting people, or you're set in your ways.
Exactly my point. It isn't "as" easy to meet people as it is when there are children, jobs, family to keep one connected to the world outside of home. So it requires a little effort.

If you want to meet people, volunteer at something. It does two things, it gets you up and out of the house and it gives you opportunities to make friends.

The opportunities to meet people don't come to you, as they did when you were younger, you have to reach out to the opportunities when you're older and new.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:08 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?
Wow, not at all. If you were 90, Maybe I'd say yes

Old 06-13-2015, 06:09 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,459 times
Gosh, no. We just did it. My hubby is 65 and I'm 59. We moved from Atlanta area to Venice, FL last October. Couldn't be happier.

One big consideration for us was being sure we would have medical care nearby. If not for that, we might have ended up on a quiet lake miles from anyone, but that's not practical for folks our age. We ended up in a 'maintenance free' neighborhood with a big clubhouse and lots of activities all the time. It was like an instant social life and circle of friends. I already know more people here than I knew in my former Atlanta neighborhood.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,636,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
Considering the huge carbon footprint that that couple has and is creating, I would suggest the wind up their affairs and leave the party known as life. Save some resources for those behind them. You've had a long life...don't be greedy.
So at exactly what age are we all supposed to turn ourselves in at the Soylent Green factory?

Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
We did, and we older than you will be. We are happy in our new place.

However, we have family here. That is a major factor for us.

A lot depends on your circumstances.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:02 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,396 times
We are 65 and 62, and just moved from Colorado to Oregon 2 weeks ago. Gaining new friends evry day. Go for it.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:17 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
Both just turned 60 and will retire in a year. We have a different city/state/climate in mind but wonder if
61-62 is too old to make such a drastic change? Or do you just see it as an adventure of sorts?

Of course it isn't too old. Give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement