Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,133,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I am SO sorry for you on the loss of your cat.
Thank you. It's close to my usual bedtime and I am feeling so sad tonight. We had our routine and I will miss her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,163,712 times
Moderator cut: reply to a deleted post

I am currently treating 3 kittens that someone threw away; have 2 older cats, one of which was also thrown out. Both of my dogs are also rescues. While rehabilitating these animals, I have had 5 other stray dogs that I successfully rehomed, and one who was so ill he didn't make it; I rescued and rehomed 2 older cats and sadly could not restore to health one other cat. The pointof all that is that I read nothing but care and concern and a willingness to vet her cat from the OP - saying that that was a non-negotiable budget item. So where you get off chastising her for doing what was appropriate has pushed my button.

NYGal, when I met my husband 18 years ago, he was in debt to his eyeballs. I simply had no income and my almost (then) exhusband had put me into bankruptcy. I sat down with his income and worked out a budget to pay back as many of his debts as we could. His debts were incurred mostly before the death of his toddler son and a then wife who had no concept of money management.

So, he gave me his paycheck and said, do what you will, I give you full authority - and then he notified all his creditors of my involvement. I finagled, I wrangled and I managed to pay off reduced totals with all but 1 credit card - a company that would neither negotiate nor sue. It took me a full year of them adding on interest and late payments before they finally agreed to sue. That forced them to stop adding interest and late payments. That is something YOU can do, NYGal. Contact all your creditors and try to negotiate with them. After all, that's basically what a bankruptcy will force them to do. If you approach it that you are trying to avoid a BK, they just might be willing to work with you. But you can not charge anything. And, really, with your income, you don't need to.

Start by getting some accounting ledgers and work on a budget. If you can't do that on your own, check with senior services to see if there is someone there who can help you with creating a budget. That's your first step - before Suze Orman or the other guy. BTW, a lot of couponers (I used to be an extreme couponer) swear by those two. I wasn't one.

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-24-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
NYGal, when I met my husband 18 years ago, he was in debt to his eyeballs. I simply had no income and my almost (then) exhusband had put me into bankruptcy. I sat down with his income and worked out a budget to pay back as many of his debts as we could. His debts were incurred mostly before the death of his toddler son and a then wife who had no concept of money management.

So, he gave me his paycheck and said, do what you will, I give you full authority - and then he notified all his creditors of my involvement. I finagled, I wrangled and I managed to pay off reduced totals with all but 1 credit card - a company that would neither negotiate nor sue. It took me a full year of them adding on interest and late payments before they finally agreed to sue. That forced them to stop adding interest and late payments. That is something YOU can do, NYGal. Contact all your creditors and try to negotiate with them. After all, that's basically what a bankruptcy will force them to do. If you approach it that you are trying to avoid a BK, they just might be willing to work with you. But you can not charge anything. And, really, with your income, you don't need to.

Start by getting some accounting ledgers and work on a budget. If you can't do that on your own, check with senior services to see if there is someone there who can help you with creating a budget. That's your first step - before Suze Orman or the other guy. BTW, a lot of couponers (I used to be an extreme couponer) swear by those two. I wasn't one.
Thank you so much for your encouragement. I really needed that today. Nothing has looked very good the past couple of days. I hoped against hope that my cat would be OK, but it wasn't meant to be. It will take a while to get over losing her.

I really like the ideas you have presented to me. I am an AARP member and I believe they have people who advise about money, etc. I use them every year to do my tax returns. I've been fortunate so far in that I neither pay tax nor receive refund. It just keeps things simple.

I have heard from some very smart people here and am grateful for this site. I needed to be able to see some light at the end of the tunnel and have it be something besides a train.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,937,253 times

Thread moved from Retirement forum to Personal Finance forum.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:38 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,671,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
It's like this. The more effort I put into getting out of debt the deeper in debt I go. I honestly do not know what to do. I am not willing to try bankruptcy. Already talked to an on-line bankruptcy attorney who advised against it.

Because of bills I need to pay every month, there is very little left over to make more than the minimum payments or to have enough cash available to pay for an emergency.

For example: I have a cat that I have had a long time 10+ years who is about 11 (not that old and certainly not ready for end of life). I noticed for a while she was having some difficulties and the vet had said at one time she had a heart murmur. So today something happened that made me call the vet for an appointment. Bottom line? Overactive thyroid. Well that is a relief. Easily treated with daily meds. BUT the crunch is how much those meds will cost me. They come from a pharmacy in NJ (nothing local to me) and will be shipped from there. Total monthly cost is close to $40. Well, if I have trouble coming up with extra money for my bills, this is presenting a very large problem for me.

I can't seem to get ahead.

I know, some would say get rid of the cat. But I can't. She is my buddy (as much as a cat can be that) and I would have a tough time letting her go.

I just don't get how this seems to keep happening. I have heard Dave Ramsey's philosophy but I honestly do not see how it would work for me.

Thanks for letting me vent.
If you want to get ahead, you have three options:

1. Increase income.

2. Reduce expenses.

3. Some combination of both.

Easier said than done, I know.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,671,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
My cat, as I write this, is dying. I am waiting for her vet to open. If I take her to the Emergent Care vet, I've heard it is $100 or more to walk through the door.
She can't walk, is breathing heavily (panting), more or less throwing herself around the room. I've held her, crooned to her, and want to do the right thing by her. If putting her down is needed I agree to it. I don't want her to suffer anymore. Her heart is all whacky..... the vet listened very intently and told me this. He said the thyroid problem is probably causing it and the meds would help that. But I think it is too late.
You are all giving me wonderful advice but presently can't really absorb it.
Further info is I have about $7,000 in a money market acct and about $20,000+ debt. I have my loans and credit card with a credit union who I have been told will give me a worse time than a bank would.
There is a bankruptcy attorney here in Syracuse. As soon as I get my cat's situation resolved at the vet I will call him.
Thank you all. I think my head has been really clouded with too many things at once. Sister is dying, too, and just a lot of emotional stuff right now.
I'm so sorry about your cat.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:29 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post

And if your cat's thyroid is over-active, Synthroid won't work.

Best of luck to you!
NC - please accept my condolences for the loss of your cat.

Nor' - thanks for making me aware of my failure to read carefully!

To my chagrin, I read "thyroid" and I ASS-UMED it was hypo, not hyper. Although OP stated it clearly.

Well, it's not the first time I've been reminded about the consequences of assuming things, lol!

Although in this case, I am alone in being the donk's rear end.

Thanks - Jane

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 AM

5 posts, read 32,883 times
My heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

Some have mentioned that you should try to increase your income. Have you looked into doing online work like Amazon's Mechanical Turk? You do small tasks and get paid small amounts of money--but it can add up. I mention it because it is something you can do from home in small amounts of time. They have some audio transcription tasks if you have experience with that.

I hope everything gets better from here.

Old 06-24-2015, 03:31 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,804,134 times
NY2gal, you all ready have an emergency fund with that 7K money market. IMO pick your smallest loan/credit card bill and start the debt snowball on it.

Also please check out a food pantry in your area.

Just some random suggestions here.........

Medical Administrative Clerk - $13.50/hour!

Medical Secretary

Dental Office Administrator

Senior Caregivers Needed

http://211cny.com/catsearch.php?cat=pant

Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2IN View Post
My heart goes out to you in this difficult time.

Some have mentioned that you should try to increase your income. Have you looked into doing online work like Amazon's Mechanical Turk? You do small tasks and get paid small amounts of money--but it can add up. I mention it because it is something you can do from home in small amounts of time. They have some audio transcription tasks if you have experience with that.

I hope everything gets better from here.
I will look into the Amazon's Mechanical Turk. I have never heard of it. So many wonderful people here with great ideas. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement