Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 09:29 AM

20,944 posts, read 8,746,243 times

Advertisements

Some men (and many some women) have this great ability to not look closely at themselves in the mirror or in pictures. This solves a lot of problems for me.

Males also need to use what George Carlin called the special amazing new Hair Adaptive Technology. Take the first letter of each of those words and you've taken a decade off your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 AM

107,462 posts, read 109,882,117 times
i just cover my mirrors with pictures of weight lifters .

every day i look and go " man you are one good looking buff black man " only problem is i am white .

Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,329,232 times
I'll let you know. I'm only 67.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM

15,170 posts, read 12,343,417 times
I think I was born feeling old (looking around the newborn nursery, thinking, "damn, I'm the oldest one here!). Comes from being the oldest of a number of siblings and having parents that expected inordinate amounts of responsibility of me from a very young age.

I had jolts of feeling "really old" as I got older. As in, when I first got that invite to join AARP at age 50. Never did take them up on their invitation, though.

I thought, "REALLY old now" on my 60th birthday.

Now I know I've arrived at old age now that I'm 71 and retired. But the interesting thing (and amusing, to me) is to be considered a "young woman" by healthcare providers and others in our community, at least compared to the ages of many of the other residents of our community-many many people here in their 80's and well beyond.

It really is all relative.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:11 AM

3,271 posts, read 5,038,952 times
I had the hardest time approaching my 70th birthday that I've ever had facing a milestone birthday. Seventy sounded to me like a hideous number. I had never thought of myself as old before, but as that birthday approached I got really depressed. It may not have helped that I was at that time in a very difficult relationship.

Anyway, the birthday passed, I got myself out of the difficult relationship, and now at age 71 I'm feeling great. I'm healthy and enjoying life, and no longer feeling old.

My mother, who is now age 96, said that she didn't feel old until she turned 90. She said 89 was fine, but when she hit 90, she felt old.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

every day i look and go " man you are one good looking buff black man " only problem is i am white .
Welp, that's better than looking in those mirrors, thinking "WHO is that ugly old lady in that picture and why do we keep it around"?

As I've been known to do.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 AM

605 posts, read 337,961 times
Last month when I turned 50. Realizing my husband is 57 and has been able to get a Senior Discount for over 2 years in the places we regularly patronize. Makes me sad if I think about it so I generally do not.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I had the hardest time approaching my 70th birthday that I've ever had facing a milestone birthday. Seventy sounded to me like a hideous number. I had never thought of myself as old before, but as that birthday approached I got really depressed. It may not have helped that I was at that time in a very difficult relationship.

Anyway, the birthday passed, I got myself out of the difficult relationship, and now at age 71 I'm feeling great. I'm healthy and enjoying life, and no longer feeling old.

My mother, who is now age 96, said that she didn't feel old until she turned 90. She said 89 was fine, but when she hit 90, she felt old.
My mother (age 92) has a friend who felt like your mother did when she reached her 101st birthday. She didn't mind turning 100, or so she said, but she thinks 101 is just too %&#@ old.

I'm 71 and I know what you mean by figuring 70 is old! What's bothered me for some reason is seeing my name along with that age listed on a patient ID bracelet, or medical forms or paperwork. I don't feel that old, but I guess seeing it in print really brings it home.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:08 AM

6,369 posts, read 7,851,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you can't ride a bike decently you are truly old.
Ah! The "Fountain of Youth" that Juan Ponce de León was seeking back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
When I tried to run some full-court basketball at age 41, the first time in about 15 years, and quickly recognized I could no longer run or jump remotely close to what I could in my prime. Not to mention the soreness that last much longer than when I was young and the ease with which I get tired these days.
Similar story as mine. Not "old", but a big whack to the side of the head with a 2x4 by 'Advancing Age' announcing that I wasn't a kid anymore. In my case, it was pick-up games of tackle football or some other such physical activity. Beforehand, we'd always go home sore and usually feel it that evening, but after a good night's sleep, we were ready to go again the next day. No lingering pain.

After age 40, I'd wake up still sore. Whoa! What's going on?

I gave up tackle football after that. These days, after a metric century ride, (100Km or 62.1 mi.), I'm usually 'wasted' the rest of the day, but okay the next.

I refuse to "grow up".

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-29-2018, 04:18 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,955,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

LOL...I'm glad you are around. You make me laugh and I really need that these days!

I keep seeing this strange ol' lady in my bathroom every morning. I don't really mind her being here but it sure would be nice if she'd pitch in and do some cooking, dishes, laundry and housework! Living here for free??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement