Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2018, 07:39 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,954,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Hmmmm... I don't think I'm there yet. I mean, I am 'only' 72 so have some time yet to start feeling 'old'. I will say I am getting tired of people and their dang clichés about age! I have people tell me, all the time, I should be "grateful to have a job" because, supposedly, it keeps me 'young'. Phooey. It keeps me tired! lol I am told that I'm lucky to be around so many young people because THAT keeps me 'young'. No, it doesn't. It frustrates me because I see them do such dumb things!

I am NOT "young" but I'm not "old" either. Getting 'older' chronologically is not an option...it's going to happen...but a good attitude and sense of humor can go a long ways. If I can find things to laugh about in life I feel pretty good. My job provides a lot of laughs sometimes.

It's been almost three years since I wrote this and some things have changed. Yes, I am starting to feel "old". Dang it. Still hearing those stupid clichés. I don't even WANT a job. My attitude and sense of humor have suffered some and I seem to get 'cranky' easier and faster. My patience is wearing thin with the public!

Some health issues have come up but I sorta expected that. My eyes have finally healed from the cataract surgeries and improvement is noticeable now. I don't have to wear glasses for distance or driving or watching TV. I do still have to wear them though, for work. Still doing the breathing thing for COPD and meds for osteoporosis. Can't do as much around the house as I used to. Since I broke my hip I have a hard time getting up and down very fast. Can't clean ceiling fans or baseboards anymore! I think it's time to call in Merry Maids! lol Actually, I AM grateful that my health issues aren't worse than they are and realize it could always be worse!

For some reason I have been thinking about getting old lately. Bummer. So many things I want to do but restrictions are in the way. It's either time or money or plain old convenience/inconvenience. I really need a vacation! I just took four days off work and never left the house once. I'm trying really hard to not be depressed about 'stuff' but sometimes it's hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 08:15 AM

2,783 posts, read 2,095,083 times
One of my first posts, and I just realized I never answered it. For me, it was this year, when I turned 60. No real physical reasons, but mentally, unlike 50, 60 just seems that way. When I say “in 10 years when I am 70, it seems WAY TOO CLOSE!!! I think about what I was doing in 2008, and it just wasn’t that long ago. Definitely more obsessed with doing bucket list things sooner rather than later. Looking forward to, yet somewhat concerned about how happy I will be in retirement, even though I have a ton of things lined up.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:33 AM

5,285 posts, read 3,655,485 times
If I had any doubts - since my hair started turning gray in my 30's - it was cemented this last 2 weeks at 66yo when my knee went red, hot, swollen & very painful from osteoarthritis & I basically had that as a constant pain. But more to the point I had to stay off my feet for about 10-11 days until it subsided, longer that the 2 other times I've had this issue in the 10 years previous.

Totally housebound, had to cancel all plans, my day consisted of struggling out of bed to a chair, hours later to couch - where I discovered I couldn't get up from the couch because it was too low to the ground without a major effort (that tore a hamstring) & back to the bed. 10 days of totally sedentary house jail, glad I discovered a grocery that delivered.

My 91 yo mother was offering me her old walker! I was considering buying a cane when I finally get out of the house - now that's a "damn I'm really old" epiphany. Also it's a peek into future debilitating ailments, some of which won't heal up.
Walked outside for the first time in a week & a half yesterday, I feel empathy for those whose mobility is compromised.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,153,694 times
I would say when I was about 60 so almost 6 years ago. My health was getting worse and worse and I feel very old.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:48 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,538,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
...I was considering buying a cane when I finally get out of the house - now that's a "damn I'm really old" epiphany. Also it's a peek into future debilitating ailments, some of which won't heal up.
Walked outside for the first time in a week & a half yesterday, I feel empathy for those whose mobility is compromised.
I have a four-legged cane from CVS that I got when I had a badly infected dog bite on my leg. Am taking it to Colorado for whatever might come.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,396,403 times
Not yet and I'm 68.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:35 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,655,485 times
Some years ago I started to receive in the mail unsolicited marketing brochures for cemeteries. "Space still available!"

Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,300,996 times
Smile Well, right now actually

My husband is a CPA and has clients regularly especially this time of year. We share office space but have 2 separate businesses within the space. Very separate.

We have a front desk person who has been with us just over a year. She is 52, never married, always looking for the one. Very nice person.

So, today, this client comes who has worked with both of us and says "Well, you're still here" (to the front desk person. She says yes, everything's going well, etc. Chit chat. Then, the client states how is it working for your parents?

Parents? We have a daughter over 20 years younger!! Plus, we are less than a decade older than her.

So, depressed right now, YES!!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM

2,448 posts, read 902,557 times
When I tried to run some full-court basketball at age 41, the first time in about 15 years, and quickly recognized I could no longer run or jump remotely close to what I could in my prime. Not to mention the soreness that last much longer than when I was young and the ease with which I get tired these days.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:24 PM

8,428 posts, read 6,533,659 times
When you get really tired in the late afternoon for no reason you know your old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement