Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 02:17 PM

554 posts, read 746,927 times

Advertisements

... Great Posts here, Folks! ...

I just-last-month turned "3-score-and-10" - That's what I tell all those youngsters I work with ... Let them figure out how-much a "score" is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM

224 posts, read 377,766 times
I am 56 now. My dad died at 54, and I have felt a bit "old" since I passed that milestone. But it doesn't bother me - in fact, each year I live feels like an accomplishment. After all, my goal when I started out was to hopefully be old someday.

I was at a birthday party for the wife of a co-worker. She had turned 40 and her brother did the black balloon thing and was razzing her for being SO OLD. Her response - "Yay, I'm 40!!!" She is a cancer survivor twice over - good perspective.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,999,883 times
Just came from my annual physical.

Despite the mobility problem from a leg getting a blood clot in my final pregnancy, I was declared fit as a fiddle and nothing is wrong with me. In a way I was a bit disappointed as I can be a bit of a hypochondriac. I went in prepared to have her order this test and that, and she said I don't need them based on recent and past results.

One thing to remember is to have your BP checked by the assistant on both left and right arms. My numbers were 20 points different from one arm to the next! Then I have the doctor herself take the BP in the exam room, as those very first readings on intake are often elevated due to white coat syndrome. When the doc did this, my BP read even lower and in a great range.

The only meds I take (knocking on wood) are nutritional supplements. So right now I feel less than old, and this kind of medical feedback has me even more into upping the exercise and staying away from sugars. Maybe I can postpone thinking I'm old for a few more years.

Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,684,268 times
At age 71, at a hotel, I walked up a flight of stair that had a large full length mirror hanging on the wall as you reached the top. I saw this old guy walking towards me, and just about that time I realized I was looking at myself.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:00 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,141,089 times
when I first feel old? Probably at age 29 when a military Dr. told me I had that old man's disease~ arthritis. When did I start to feel better about it? that weekend when I was at Reno when I was TOLD ~ not carded~ that I had to be 21 to play the slots and I should leave.

Then I saw a billboard along a road on my 56th birthday that said " which is older *xx* or dirt? Happy 50th birthday" ~ then a week later had a high school kid on his first day on the job ask what he should do~ I said you are supposed to at least keep up with me~ I'm old. He quit at end of day because he couldn't.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 PM

2,783 posts, read 2,088,579 times
Interesting mix here folks! Seems divided between, I felt/feel old for a long time already, to "What, me feel old?" (Mad magazine style). I'm in the age is just a number camp. Continually wonder who that old guy in the mirror is. That's certainly not the person behind the eyes. Though I have to admit I started feeling oldER, when retirement became a very real, near future event, and I find myself looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time! So much of what so many here said is very applicable to myself. I'm determined to be that 97 year old guy that still has it all together. Anything's possible!

Hair loss for me started in my 20s, but as a male engineer, it just makes me look the part. We used to say, "Can't grow grass on a busy street!", and "Too many U turns under the bedsheets". My wife just rolls her eyes when I say stuff like that.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:07 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,926,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Try taking Biotin daily. Over the counter. It has helped both my hair and nails tremendously.
Thanks! I'll try it. My nails are a lost cause because of my job. I have thick and healthy nails but when they break it's usually down to the quick 'snap' right off.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM

[quote=Curmudgeon;40227746]I'll be 69 in less than two weeks. Despite some serious, physical/medical setbacks with lasting deficits I've yet to consider myself "really old." I truly believe that age is as much in the mind as it is in the body. I don't think old. Heck! I barely think grown up.[/quote]

LOL...I love it! I might 'borrow' it...

Old 06-30-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver_jim View Post
You actually don't lose hair off the top of your head. What happens, I'm convinced, is that gravity works its insidious way and the hair is pulled in, then spills out in lower places, like the ears, eyebrows, and nose.
You know, I heard that once and wondered because a LOT of the older men I knew seemed to have that happen. I haven't noticed it so much in women though so I guess I can be glad I'm a woman! LOL j/k

And speaking of that...people have asked me why I don't date. Well, there are plenty of reasons why but one I used to give...and it made them shut up!...was that I didn't want to date guys my age because I'd become so fascinated with counting the nose and ear hairs I wouldn't pay any attention to them!

Old 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,496,838 times
When I looked in the mirror and saw an old lady looking back at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement