Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,942,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Thanks for this. I'm trying to make similar changes, but have found that I must eliminate grains & flour entirely, as well as yogurt. It is working!!
One thing about yogurt is that most the commercial ones are loaded with sugar. I eat 'plain' Greek Yogurt and flavor it with fresh fruits and just a touch of Stevia.

I also learned that fat is actually good for diabetic condition. Adding lots of butter or olive oil to your cards reduces the blood sugar spike.

My sister control her diabetic condition by going completely vegan. Whole grain products are not a problem for her. Others had claimed a paleo diet (lots of meats, fats, no grains/legumes/dairy etc) work for them. My thinking is that we all have different genes, different metabolisms etc so different diets work for different people.

I love all kinds of foods and can not see completely eliminating certain food from my diet so I just stick with general guideline for a healthy lower carb diet and it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:14 AM

9,001 posts, read 20,422,396 times
Oh, and btw, when it comes to using our computer and playing my iPhone games, ain't NO WAY that I'm going to reduce the time doing that........nope, no way!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,381,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I would love to go low/no carb but I don't eat meat in any form so I wonder how to kick the lifelong addiction to carbs. Any ideas for this habit appreciated. Like you I do no drugs or smoke, but the coffee/caffeine habit is there.
@neg... It takes time and allow yourself to cheat. I haven't had a sandwich in years but I can't pass up good crusty Italian bread in a restaurant. I love pasta and try to stay away from it but it's not easy. Not all carbs, just like fats are created equally. I'll have either oatmeal or two eggs in the morning, a Siggi's yogurt in the afternoon, sometimes a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter instead. Once in awhile an avocado or a peach. I wait all day for 5.00 when I have hummus on rice crackers then dinner which is whatever I've cooked for my husband and sautéed veggies but minus the potato or pasta. If I'm starving for a starch then I have brown rice. I eat dark chocolate and once in a while ice cream. Like I said, allow yourself to cheat.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:58 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,002,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
@neg... It takes time and allow yourself to cheat. I haven't had a sandwich in years but I can't pass up good crusty Italian bread in a restaurant. I love pasta and try to stay away from it but it's not easy. Not all carbs, just like fats are created equally. I'll have either oatmeal or two eggs in the morning, a Siggi's yogurt in the afternoon, sometimes a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter instead. Once in awhile an avocado or a peach. I wait all day for 5.00 when I have hummus on rice crackers then dinner which is whatever I've cooked for my husband and sautéed veggies but minus the potato or pasta. If I'm starving for a starch then I have brown rice. I eat dark chocolate and once in a while ice cream. Like I said, allow yourself to cheat.
This sounds pretty much like my diet...no bread or rolls, no pastas except rice pasta, rice crackers with hummus, and the nongrain quinoa (in winter, millet and brown rice). I don't eat cookies but do make granola with gluten-free oats (no flour). Where I fall down in the carb dept is whole grain muffins, unfortunately readily available from our nearby Whole Foods. I've considered going "paleo" but don't believe that for me that's a healthy option as I don't eat animal foods besides fish and eggs. We make a pretty mean pizza with gluten-free crust from WF and homemade red sauce or pesto heaped with veg's. But still, even with all this for many years, I do feel my health is being compromised not eliminating the stuff I know I shouldn't eat, e.g. muffins. Habits die hard in old age.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,445,354 times
A habit I plan to ditch immediately my first day of retirement (not really habit, to be fair, more of something I tolerate) ... sleep deprivation.

A new habit I plan to take up ... vaping cannabis. I want to become the world's oldest Rastaman.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:14 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,600,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
One thing about yogurt is that most the commercial ones are loaded with sugar. I eat 'plain' Greek Yogurt and flavor it with fresh fruits and just a touch of Stevia.

I also learned that fat is actually good for diabetic condition. Adding lots of butter or olive oil to your cards reduces the blood sugar spike.

My sister control her diabetic condition by going completely vegan. Whole grain products are not a problem for her. Others had claimed a paleo diet (lots of meats, fats, no grains/legumes/dairy etc) work for them. My thinking is that we all have different genes, different metabolisms etc so different diets work for different people.

I love all kinds of foods and can not see completely eliminating certain food from my diet so I just stick with general guideline for a healthy lower carb diet and it works for me.

I agree re the fats. Butter works best for me. I put some on vegies now, which we always did as kids but I eliminated when fats became a "no no". I'll give Greek yogurt a try with stevia (which i already use regularly). Thanks for the suggestion! Cottage cheese is also lower carb and good with stevia and a few berries.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:38 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,381,539 times
@neg... Try Garden Lites Blueberry Oat Muffins. Stop & Shop has them in the natural foods frozen case. They're only 120 calories and, unlike a lot of high calorie gluten-free baked items, they don't bloat you up. I'm addicted to them. Blueberry Oat Muffins | Garden LitesGarden Lites

Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,002,760 times
Quote:
@neg... Try Garden Lites Blueberry Oat Muffins. Stop & Shop has them in the natural foods frozen case. They're only 120 calories and, unlike a lot of high calorie gluten-free baked items, they don't bloat you up. I'm addicted to them. Blueberry Oat Muffins | Garden LitesGarden Lites
Well thank you! A new habit to take on at age 66! LOL. They sound delicious.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM

149 posts, read 188,158 times
I only eat bread products on the weekend. I love a biscuit from Popyes or pancakes for breakfast. Otherwise I'm rarely indulge.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:02 PM

23,283 posts, read 29,140,117 times
Quote:
I could work on meditation more. Maybe it will even me out and make me a better sleeper.
Now there's a challenge, if you have over-active mind: meditation. That's where I can get really lazy, making the supreme effort to attain a state of thoughtlessness, giving the mind a welcomed rest.

Thoughts are entertainment to the mind, and doesn't matter what kind of thoughts, anything to keep you from sinking into emptiness.

The times I do it, we're talking minutes, it's so, so refreshing to just say good-bye to the thoughts in your head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement