Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:39 PM

7,071 posts, read 6,339,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
A habit I plan to ditch immediately my first day of retirement (not really habit, to be fair, more of something I tolerate) ... sleep deprivation.

A new habit I plan to take up ... vaping cannabis. I want to become the world's oldest Rastaman.
I'm a little worried about myself. I used to get up at 6:00am & to sleep 10-11pm.now I find myself staying up til 3:00am & sleeping to 12-1pm. BUT, Alfred Hitchcock & Rod Sterling are on that late. I really miss those shows. I do not plan on the cannabis, it puts me to sleep, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 AM

23,300 posts, read 29,167,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm a little worried about myself. I used to get up at 6:00am & to sleep 10-11pm.now I find myself staying up til 3:00am & sleeping to 12-1pm. BUT, Alfred Hitchcock & Rod Sterling are on that late. I really miss those shows. I do not plan on the cannabis, it puts me to sleep, lol.
Which brings to mind, my working the night shift the last 13 years, sleeping every day from 10am to 6pm, breakfast @9pm, lunch @3am, dinner @9am, and I've so grown to love staying up all night long, and sleeping all day!

Now that's going to be a real tough habit to break!

That'll be a habit I'll have to kick down the stairs one step at a time! Going to bed at 9am, then 8am, then 7am, then 6am, and so forth!

And, the big question, will I ever re-adapt to being a day person again? And, if not, I'll start up a Night Owl group on Meet-Up Com. for seniors!

Old 07-22-2015, 01:03 AM

7,071 posts, read 6,339,459 times
That might be a neat thread. I don't kknow how many of us stay up late though. I guess we'll se, if you ever do it.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,242,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I've started up a new habit, at 65, 2 weeks now, I'm doing stretches and some yoga before getting out of bed. Even standing on my head. After I get up I can never seem to carve out the time to do it. So this is perfect! I can even touch my toes now!....
I admire what you're doing.

But do you stand on your head in bed? Isn't that dangerous. I'd think that a mattress with springs underneath would be too unstable.

As for what I do that's new, it's rather limited. I have two metal bars screwed down most of the length of my spine and a smaller prosthesis in my cervical spine, plus arthritis in the knees and hips and all that is rather limiting. However, I have started with the first exercise of Falun Dafa and some very light weights while sitting. Been about two weeks and I do notice that my body finds these exercises much easier now...and a I actually enjoy then instead of feeling damned to them.

I quit smoking in about 1981...three to four packs a day, and I hid in my apartment for the whole weekend when I went cold turkey. I'll tell you, it was more drama than Susan Hayward in I Want To Live.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:45 AM

Oftentimes, when traveling, and I find myself getting sleepy too early, after the drive, I'll get my motel room, stand on my head, with a pillow underneath, in bed, up against the wall. The adrenaline rush is awesome! It's like taking mega-doses of caffeine! Wakes me right up and I'm good to go the rest of the night!

I have read of Buddhist monks who will stand on their heads for long periods of time, but perhaps they're trying to kill brain cells, as that's what can happen if you stand on your head too long. I just do it for a few minutes!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 22,008,953 times
Quote:
I've started up a new habit, at 65, 2 weeks now, I'm doing stretches and some yoga before getting out of bed. Even standing on my head.
How do you stand on your head in bed?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,218,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I've started swimming and doing water aerobics at least 3X a week. Walking is difficult for me and swimming is a great alternative.
Swimming is such an underrated exercise. Burns calories almost minute for minute like a treadmill, but low impact - joint friendly, and gets those creaky joints moving much easier.

Be careful giving up those smokes. My bf quit a year ago (2 ppd down to zero) and he blew up 40 pounds in just 8 months. The guy hardly ever eats! Anyway, I left him (blubber puss, yuck).

Old 07-22-2015, 08:11 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,801,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Swimming is such an underrated exercise. Burns calories almost minute for minute like a treadmill, but low impact - joint friendly, and gets those creaky joints moving much easier.

Be careful giving up those smokes. My bf quit a year ago (2 ppd down to zero) and he blew up 40 pounds in just 8 months. The guy hardly ever eats! Anyway, I left him (blubber puss, yuck).
Give up smoking!!!!!! Yes, the downside is that you may gain weight but it's not necessarily true. When I gave up smoking back in the '80s they told us to chew gum and eat hard candy. I think I broke two teeth on those candies. But I did not gain weight and there aren't too many better things you can do for yourself than to give up smoking.

Lately I have returned to better eating habits. When I first retired I started eating really healthy, then I married dh who eats candy, ice cream, donuts, etc. and I gained weight and didn't feel well. (He is underweight; I don't know where the calories go.) Now I'm seeing a nutritionist and getting more protein and nearly zero sugar. The goal is not to lose weight as I am only a few pounds over what I would like to be, but to feel better and have more energy.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:02 AM

After whittling down my smoking addiction to a half-pack a day, to break that habit totally, 2 scary images come to mind, my father (smoked for 50 years) and sister, who quit smoking, gained a lot of weight.

As I've said previously, I'm going to keep that habit around for awhile!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:05 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,621,922 times
Quote:
Which brings to mind, my working the night shift the last 13 years, sleeping every day from 10am to 6pm, breakfast @9pm, lunch @3am, dinner @9am, and I've so grown to love staying up all night long, and sleeping all day!

Now that's going to be a real tough habit to break!

That'll be a habit I'll have to kick down the stairs one step at a time! Going to bed at 9am, then 8am, then 7am, then 6am, and so forth!

And, the big question, will I ever re-adapt to being a day person again? And, if not, I'll start up a Night Owl group on Meet-Up Com. for seniors!
I read about some guy who set up a Senior Center for alzheimer's sufferers who were sundowning. Played them dance music and kept them dancing - and safe - during the night. You could set up something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement