Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM

10,625 posts, read 12,172,808 times

Advertisements

As a single professional I hardly ever cook. Most cooking I do is microwaving. (Making fresh salads TECHNICALLY isn't cooking.) I do mostly restaurant or supermarket prepared foods. Been doing that for more than 10 years.....I did cook before that. And even when I did cook more I still ate out a lot. I'm a convenience kind of person.

I have 10 years until retirement. I like to TELL myself that I'll cook more in retirement. Lord, knows I couldn't cook LESS But I do wonder, if I'm lying to myself about cooking more. Or will I be so "spoiled" about not cooking -- and having Thai one day, Mexican the next, Italian the next, Indian the next -- if I want it all with a phone call or drop by -- that I won't go back to cooking. Eventually, Lord willing, I'll get to see what happens....how it all turns out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:04 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,013,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Hey, fluffy, read what I bolded and you'll know just who's going to be doing the cooking when hubs retires. It's a trick that men have relied on for years - get loud, pretend the damn thing doesn't work, call it a no-good POS and then "the woman" will step in and prove her superior knowledge by doing it for him.
Oh, I know! He's been getting away with that for 20 years at least. It's how he got out of doing his own laundry. All it took was one good garment of mine ruined through his "incompetence." I tried suggesting we each do our own wash but Oh no! That's a waste of water! So ******* that I am, I took it all on.

Quote:
It took me many years to learn, when the late hubs pulled that, I ended up doing whatever it was and he watched the ball game. Eventually, I learned to ignore his bluster and either he figured it out or I hired somebody. When he realized that I was on to him, he "figured it out".

I see a continued "reheating" in your future unless you let him "figure it out".
Lol. Of course you're right. At least now I make him help with the reheating. And while I'm laid up for who knows how long -- herniated disk -- I can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time and can't bend over to do the laundry or a whole lot of anything else. Much to my pleased surprise, he's stepping up and filling in.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:03 PM

7,060 posts, read 6,327,600 times
Not to let him off the hook but right after my back operation I was in a nursing home until I could prove I could take a shower by myself, walk with a walker, use a "picker" to pick things up - mainly laundry. I had to use that for many months & still use it at times to remove laundry from the washer, put into the dryer & then take it out of the dryer.

It also took months before I could make the bed. There are so many things that changed. I do a lot of stir fry because it's quicker & actually very healthy. Or I do crockpot. I still can't bend to lift things out of the oven so haven't done any baking or oven stuff. I do have a bread maker so use that when I need some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement