Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:41 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

We are probably two years away from DH's retirement. (I may never retire fully.) Our lives have always been such that we don't do much cooking, just reheating prepared foods like meals from Munchery or Costco and adding fresh vegetables or fruit.

Last night I was trying to teach DH how to make a banana smoothie. Simple, right? Fresh banana, some cracked ice, about 1/2 cup milk, a smidgen of sugar to taste if you want. What else is there?

He was having a lot of trouble. The blender kept binding up because he had crammed solid banana and ice into the jar up to the rim, slammed the lid on, then bore down on it heavily while it was running. He said disgustedly, "This thing is broken! The motor's burned out!" meaning the blender. I showed him that you don't have to push down hard on the blender jar. It's not going to jump. Just pulse...pulse...pulse... We managed to get two smoothies made.

It was an adventure. There's a saying in the IT world: "Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers."

So I think we'll be filling some of our hours learning how to use basic kitchen equipment. Do you do more involved meals, now that you have time? Or are you too busy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:48 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
YES! We have the time now and enjoy cooking. Actually we decided to build a new home with a NICE "gourmet" type kitchen, with more cook friendly appliances and solid counter tops.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
When we first retired 10 years ago we cooked regular meals. However, our appetites have decreased considerably and we must be careful not to make too much or we get bored with it. So yes, we cook, but we also eat out or take out more than previously. We now eat only 2 small meals a day though we are active and do water aerobics 4X wk!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I've always cooked and enjoy it most of the time. Thankfully, I'm fairly good at it. Now that my wife has moved to the left coast to be with her small family I'll be doing a lot more of it. The trick will be learning how to shop and cook for one. I hate eating out alone so that's not an option and here in the boonies there's no takeout within miles and no delivery.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:39 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
We pretty much do "half and half"......eat out and cook at home. I'm the main cook, even though my wife does make a great taco, potato salad, French toast, ham/cheese omelet and spaghetti w/meatballs. For us, some meals are just plain easier and cheaper to eat out that do at home. For her taco's, she will order a carnitas/pork Mexican dinner out, make a couple of burrito's and take the rest home to make carnitas taco's out of. The dinner she gets comes with a stack of pork! Since I'm not really to good at cooking steak on a grill or broiler, that is a dinner out. All fish is dinner out as well.

Our frig/freezer isn't empty by any means, but we do eat out as well. Sometimes, ordering one meal and splitting it.

BTW, I'm retired, she is not. She is still working a full-time job, but that word "retirement" is coming pretty quickly.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:22 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
We go out two to three times a day to eat.

It's a social thing.

Just watch the calories.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I always cooked but never really liked it because it felt so rushed. This is A LOT BETTER. We can go to the grocery store any time we feel like it, not just at night or weekends, and in fact, I now just make the list and dh races off and buys the groceries.

He is an excellent cook and I think he should cook more but I end up doing most of the cooking. I try to cook healthy because if he cooked it would be cakes, pies, and other sweets. He was raised in a family owned bakery.....

We eat most meals at home, often eating the same meal, but almost as often, each person cooking what she/he wants and maybe sharing one item. We may eat lunch out once a week.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:28 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I hate to cook. Always have. And just for myself, no way.
Eating out is too expensive. So I rely on boxes. The frozen kind that I can add a veggie or salad to and have a meal. I wish there were more choices cause Michelina's is getting real old !!!!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:34 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Like someone mentioned above, I remain active as I can but do not eat as much as before. I do not enjoy cooking anymore and really sometimes think I have become a food hater. And all that chopping, dicing, saucing is just too much work.

and I don't like going out to eat unless it is a really good meal, hardly seems worth the trouble.

If I were cooking for someone regularly then I might enjoy the preparation process and sitting down at a good meal.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Sure do. I had to eat out, usually fast food, while working. Since I retired I rarely eat out because the meals I cook are far tastier and I enjoy cooking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement