Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I don't think they make it anymore. I remember my Mom using it for just about every type of skin aliment. It was a blue-green liquid astringent, about 43% alcohol. I thnk the rest was just color and aroma. I understood alcoholics used it for a cheap drunk!
When I was a kid my parents always had Sea Breeze in the house. If we got mosquito bites or sunburn they would apply it. If they didn't have any, they would use Noxema. My Dad put mercurochrome on our cuts, too. Here's an article about what happened to that product:
The Straight Dope: What happened to Mercurochrome?

My Dad was also dedicated to the mouth potion called Vince's. It's a minty-smelling pink powder that is mixed with water. I decided to buy some recently when I had a cut on the roof of my mouth. A little container cost $11. I can imagine Dad seeing that price tag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:08 AM

496 posts, read 553,322 times
Interesting bit in that 2004 article, about amagam dental fillings. Mine have long since been replaced with resin (or porcelain crowns). The resin fillings don't last as long, but my dental office does not use amalgam at all (I asked).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Here's an article about what happened to that product:

Old 07-29-2015, 05:32 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
BEST old fashion "remedy" that still dumbfounds people I teach this to even today is for hiccups.

If you get hiccups, take a deep breath, and then take 10 tiny swallows of water without taking the next breath....works 100% of the time!!! I can not tell you how many people do not belief this when it works for them and asks me where I learned this....have no idea, it was something I was taught as a youngster and has worked ever since for me and everyone I have taught it to.
If ten tiny sips don't work, try 10 big gulps of water without taking a breath...finally, a big spoonful of sugar or peanut butter.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
When I was a kid my parents always had Sea Breeze in the house. If we got mosquito bites or sunburn they would apply it. If they didn't have any, they would use Noxema. My Dad put mercurochrome on our cuts, too. Here's an article about what happened to that product:

My Dad was also dedicated to the mouth potion called Vince's. It's a minty-smelling pink powder that is mixed with water. I decided to buy some recently when I had a cut on the roof of my mouth. A little container cost $11. I can imagine Dad seeing that price tag!
OMG - I used Sea Breeze all the time on my teenaged oily face! Loved the smell!

Used Noxema for sunburn...Camphophenique or clear nail polish for chigger bites in the summer.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,093,175 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
OMG - I used Sea Breeze all the time on my teenaged oily face! Loved the smell!

Used Noxema for sunburn...Camphophenique or clear nail polish for chigger bites in the summer.

LOL oh the stuff we used in the past. Holy moly some of it was effective. Like using gasoline to clean the paint off your hands. Yikes!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,004,124 times
The smell of Noxzema is the smell of my childhood summers. I have very fair skin, and there was no sunblock in the olden days, so I got bad sunburns every summer. (I'm paying for it now too with several skin cancers having been removed surgically.)

The Noxzema was so cold and soothing when applied to sunburned shoulders, but I don't think it did much good beyond that.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mom's cough remedy -- honey and lemon juice warmed up and topped with a half shot of whiskey. TOSS IT BACK. No sipping. Works well.

Can't drink whiskey -- to me that's medicine...
Oh my gosh I'd forgotten about this - my grandma dosed me with this when I was young and she used rye whiskey - urgh. Tasted horrible even with the honey, burned all the way down, but truly did help! Actually preferred this over the dang Vic's vaporub.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
sea breeze: my barber shaves my neck and then splashes on good smelling stuff. I asked him what it was and he said 'Sea Breeze'.
Mercurochrome: the last bottle of it I saw for sale was at an old time drug store in Branson Mo. We ALWAYS had it, merthiolate and iodine in the medicine cabinet. Along with Foille ointment.
I remember cutting my foot on a piece of broken glass one summer and dad made me put my foot in a plastic bucket and poured 'coal oil' over it. I had to sit on the front steps for half an hour soaking my foot in the kerosene. Guess it did ok, I still have 2 feet.
And for chigger bites at our house it was soaking in strong bath of epsom salt water. Took the itch right out.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:31 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I seem to recall a black ointment that was rubbed on and a cloth wrapped around it. Can't remember what the problem was. Or part of the body it was used on.
Coal tar? Or an ointment with coal tar in it? There is a lot of information in those old old books that can be found on the Gutenberg site. Think I will look later when I'm not using my tablet.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Anyone remember mecurichrome (sp?) ? That was dad's treat-all-owies remedy. Now banned, for containing not-so-healthy chemicals.

Mom's stomach upset remedy was ginger ale and saltine crackers.
Oh yes. If I recall right ( and I am not so sure of that, LOL ), there was a similar liquid called merthiolate which hurt like billy-be-damned when it was swabbed on a cut. I think there was a belief on the part of our parents that an antiseptic had to hurt to be effective, and the more it hurt, the better it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement