Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM

5,951 posts, read 5,134,858 times

Advertisements

Something I have noticed in some posts here is so many people mention their grandmothers and one or two mentioned their grandfathers. Oh how I envy you for having a relationship with them. Only knew my father's mother who was a very miserable person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 05:14 PM

566 posts, read 597,952 times
In the cherries, she used grain alcohol xxx, but diluted it with a simple syrup made of sugar boiled in water.
She used about 1/3 simple syrup, the rest of the liquid was just the grain alcohol poured over new/firm/hard Bing cherries, in a Ball canning jar.

I make them with vodka instead, and I put a cinnamon stick and a drop or two of almond extract.
They taste a little different than the original recipe, but oh what great "medicine".

Old 07-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post
In the cherries, she used grain alcohol xxx, but diluted it with a simple syrup made of sugar boiled in water.
She used about 1/3 simple syrup, the rest of the liquid was just the grain alcohol poured over new/firm/hard Bing cherries, in a Ball canning jar.

I make them with vodka instead, and I put a cinnamon stick and a drop or two of almond extract.
They taste a little different than the original recipe, but oh what great "medicine".

I like your recipe better!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:09 PM

7,013 posts, read 4,952,539 times
When I have a hangnail or blister that's gotten infected, I still use a good old fashioned soaking in hot water, as hot as I can sand it, until the water cools down.

I had a science teacher explain how to cure hiccups:

Take a swallow of water, but hold it in your mouth. Then cover both ears tightly and bend upside down. Now swallow.

This works for me every time and when I get hiccups, I get them bad. Occasionally, I have to do it twice, but not often. Why it works has something to do with your esophagus and the air that is trapped inside. Ditto with holding your ears shut. If anyone else can explain why it works exactly, I'd love to know.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM

22,813 posts, read 19,419,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
That's the exact same remedy my aunt taught me years ago---except it was 7 sips of water, not 10. It always works for me, too!
for hiccups the swallowing air or swallowing water did not work for me, but what DOES WORK for me every time is swallowing dry sugar. I keep little sugar packets in my desk at work so I don't even need a spoon.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 PM

22,813 posts, read 19,419,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
When I was a kid, my Mom wouldn't take us to the doctors unless we were dying. Normally it wasn't anything so she would say "Shut up or I'll give you something to cry about". We soon learned that we were not really hurt. I am very thankful I was raised this way.
OMG sounds like my family
total lunatics

it is insane and dangerous to not take kids to the doctor. i was ill for years and did not get treated. it was horrible. my mom refused to take us to the doctor, she said doctors are what make you sick and she literally believed this. my scioliosis went undiagnosed and untreated "Oh your back just hurts because it's a bad mattress" . I remember having blinding headaches....no doctor. she just shut the door and said see if you feel better, try to get some sleep and gave me glass of soda. I could not even sit up. Not even a flavor I liked, ginger ale, ugh i hate ginger ale. Always told to keep quiet so you don't upset your father.. He simply said "I'll give you something to cry about." I had GI problems for decades "stop complaining" and finally when I was an adult found out i had food allergies, that once treated returned my system to normal. simple diagnosis, simple solution.

my inlaws and husband (now ex) were equally crazy. they were babysitting one of my sons once, and he became ill. They did nothing. He got worse. They (get this ) found an old book and it said it was not anything to be worried about so they still did nothing. Never mind that we had full medical insurance, a 24-hour nurse advice line to call, and a nearby clinic that allowed walk-ins. Finally they called me, I took him immediately to the Emergency Room, they transferred him to a specialty children's hospital and he was hospitalized for 4 days. When he was released he needed a prescription that cost $350 which my husband refused to pay for. The husband by the way has a PhD in Physics, and other assorted degrees in mathematics, electrical engineering, and computer science, and earns over $200,000 a year. But he would not buy medicine for his son, who had just been hospitalized for 4 days. He had a walk in closet filled with his own clothes, but refused to buy his sons in middle school more than 2 pairs of jeans and four shirts and one pair of shoes, which had to last the entire year. "they don't need more than that"

Another time the sister in law age 38 was visiting, and pulled out a small vial and started sipping from it, and set it on the table. I noticed the label had severe poison warnings on it. I asked her about this, she said, "i don't know." The husband and inlaws were all in the room, watching TV. I became concerned and said "I think Christy is drinking poison." They shrugged. They ignored me. I asked again. They told me shush because I was interrupting what was on TV. I went and stood in front of the TV and said it again. They told me to get out of the way of the TV. (I am not making this up.) I called poison control, they talked me through preparing an antidote, watching her for symptoms for the next 48 hours, they called every few hours for an update. Then there was an "investigation" on the circumstances how this occurred. I was livid. Guess what? They yelled at me for causing trouble and being a troublemaker....because I should not have made such a big deal about it.

Insane. Dangerous. I never left any of the kids with them again.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 07-29-2015 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 07:05 PM

813 posts, read 1,136,802 times
Always carry a flask of whiskey for snakebite and if you live in the city always carry a small snake!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM

[quote=Tzaphkiel;40617452]OMG sounds like my family
total lunatics

it is insane and dangerous to not take kids to the doctor. i was ill for years and did not get treated. it was horrible. my mom refused to take us to the doctor, she said doctors are what make you sick and she literally believed this. my scioliosis went undiagnosed and untreated "Oh your back just hurts because it's a bad mattress" . I remember having blinding headaches....no doctor. she just shut the door and said see if you feel better, try to get some sleep and gave me glass of soda. I could not even sit up. Not even a flavor I liked, ginger ale, ugh i hate ginger ale. Always told to keep quiet so you don't upset your father.. He simply said "I'll give you something to cry about." I had GI problems for decades "stop complaining" and finally when I was an adult found out i had food allergies, that once treated returned my system to normal. simple diagnosis, simple solution.

my inlaws and husband (now ex) were equally crazy ................. etc.

I am SO GLAD you are not living in that insanity anymore. Good for you for leaving.

People are unbelievable.

I knew a couple who had two daughters, one being the obvious favorite, the second not so much. When Daughter #2 became ill with strep throat (I know from my own experience how painful that is), no thought was given to taking her to the doctor. "Oh, it will just run its course." She'll be "all right."

Some years later daughter #1 died. And even in death she is still the preferred daughter. Sick, sick, sick.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,472,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
When I was in school one of my friends told me about her gramma's sore throat remedy: Put the wide part of a scarf under your chin and tie it on top of your head. Then put warm stewed tomatoes into the scarf under your chin. Sit there for at least an hour. Crazy!!

Did you ever try it? Does it work? Canned or fresh tomatoes? sounds messy....but could work

Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,472,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryswan View Post

I must have missed some post....what is this for? Sounds like a Christmas drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement