Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

My oldest sister has lived in a nursing home in Syracuse, NY for almost ten years. The first few years were pretty challenging. It's where I cut my teeth on making things happen against a lot of odds.

If one of your loved ones needs to move into a nursing home and you dread it, you hate what you see and hear, etc. Don't sit on your hands hoping that by magic something positive will happen. I made a lot of noise (I am sure a lot of you are not surprised about that! ) but I discovered it was the only way to get good results. I threatened law suit when I found some things that were really despicable. I beat on the bars till I got a "fitted to her" wheelchair. You can't just wait and hope. You have to act.

In the past few years I can tell you I am so pleased with how my sister's care has gone. Complete change in caretakers. Training given to the caretakers in my sister's particular needs. A bond that has grown between "them" and her. I know when I leave after a visit that she will be all right. When the women went into her room tonight to clean her up and put her to bed, she told them she loved them. And they say it back to her.

And remember, these people are getting paid minimum wage!! These people change the patient's diaper, wipe the snot from their nose, feed them when they cannot feed themselves, give them showers and baths, shampoos.

And the hamburger flippers want $15/hour wage? How about these people doing the job most of us do not want to do .... don't they deserve a living wage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post

If one of your loved ones needs to move into a nursing home and you dread it, you hate what you see and hear, etc. Don't sit on your hands hoping that by magic something positive will happen. I made a lot of noise (I am sure a lot of you are not surprised about that! ) but I discovered it was the only way to get good results. I threatened law suit when I found some things that were really despicable. I beat on the bars till I got a "fitted to her" wheelchair. You can't just wait and hope. You have to act.
Do you realize how dangerous that can be, threatening a nursing home with a law suit? Or be overly nit-picking, critical of the staff?

Loved one goes to Hospital. She/he is there for a week. Time to be discharged. Admissions calls Admissions at the nursing home.

"Sorry, we're full!" That's a line used too often when a nursing home doesn't wish to re-admit a patient, even though there's beds available. They can't be forced to re-admit that patient!

So you look about, look about for another nursing home to take your loved one, and what if you're in a small town with only one nursing home?

I work in one of these facilities, and recently, a patient, impatient because he claimed he had his call light on for a half-hour, notified a local news channel, and it was broadcasted across the city!

Now! Does he realize what he did, and future consequences of his actions? If all the other administrators of the nursing homes in this city saw this broadcast, just wait and see, when he goes to the hospital next, and he's there for even a few days!!!

He'll be hearing "Sorry, we're full!" all across the city!

Then? I've seen it happen, a so-called "troublemaker" was shipped off to another state, where they could finally find a home for that patient, entailing long visitation trips for the family!

Go ahead! File a lawsuit! The facility I work at, the corporation has 400+ other facilities scattered across the country with a army of lawyers! And with all the lawsuits filed everyday against these facilities, you may be in a nursing home yourself before your case comes to trial!

Last edited by tijlover; 09-17-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Do you realize how dangerous that can be, threatening a nursing home with a law suit? Or be overly nit-picking, critical of the staff?

Loved one goes to Hospital. She/he is there for a week. Time to be discharged. Admissions calls Admissions at the nursing home.

"Sorry, we're full!" That's a line used too often when a nursing home doesn't wish to re-admit a patient, even though there's beds available. They can't be forced to re-admit that patient!

So you look about, look about for another nursing home to take your loved one, and what if you're in a small town with only one nursing home?

I work in one of these facilities, and recently, a patient, impatient because he claimed he had his call light on for a half-hour, notified a local news channel, and it was broadcasted across the city!

Now! Does he realize what he did, and future consequences of his actions? If all the other administrators of the nursing homes in this city saw this broadcast, just wait and see, when he goes to the hospital next, and he's there for even a few days!!!

He'll be hearing "Sorry, we're full!" all across the city!

Then? I've seen it happen, a so-called "troublemaker" was shipped off to another state, where they could finally find a home for that patient, entailing long visitation trips for the family!
So sorry you did not have the GOOD experience I had. Do not criticize what I did/didn't do. It worked and that is all that matters to me.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Totally agree with all you're saying. My sister is developmentally delayed and lives in a "nursing home" but for primarily younger adults.

I'm continually amazed that the nurses and aides are so patient and respectful and even playful with the residents. They mostly are pretty smart and don't get manipulated by the residents but with all that still have very warm exchanges. Obviously some residents are very challenging and can be belligerent or needy at times and yet despite low pay, the staff do a good job overall. These folks definitely deserve more money for doing a job that is not always fun.

Like fast food workers there is a lot of turnover but not because they are moving upward to better jobs - - so they aren't necessarily looking at just a couple years in these position - probably much longer doing quite labor intensive work.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Like fast food workers there is a lot of turnover but not because they are moving upward to better jobs - - so they aren't necessarily looking at just a couple years in these position - probably much longer doing quite labor intensive work.
Thank you!

One of the aides told me tonight she has been doing her job for 32 years and she loves it. I think that is pretty amazing and I am so grateful for those with an attitude like hers.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:53 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
The concern about staffing at nursing homes if minimum wage is raised is very legitimate and voiced by advocates for the industry. Why change diapers when you can flip burgers for more money? Pay them the same money as burger flippers and the already high cost goes up even more and more. Not a simple evolution for the industry,

Old 09-18-2015, 02:54 AM

The OP problem is one of the advantages of a quality CCRC and the ability to remain within that quality program for your medical and social needs as you age.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:12 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,545,876 times
What I've learned about nursing homes is that the quality of the staff makes all the difference. The good ones not in it for the money (as mentioned, the pay is low). They're there because they want to help guests who for the most part, are at end of life. I do believe residents who have family there often, do get better service. What I find most appalling, is the number of residents who had no family visitors.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The OP problem is one of the advantages of a quality CCRC and the ability to remain within that quality program for your medical and social needs as you age.
That's all well and good but predicated on the assumption people can afford one. Many nursing home residents eventually spend down their resources and then are reliant on Medicaid. CCRCs are overwhelmingly private pay.

My first six years in the political arena my policy area was senior/aging issues with a concentration on Medicare and other healthcare-related issues. My eventual wife was also an advocate for seniors and at the time, nursing home issues were a large part of what both of us concentrated on. Over the course of those years we worked hard to make the industry more accountable for good patient care by empowering regulatory agencies to have some real teeth. Over time and working with various advocacy agencies it worked. Of course, that was only for one state but some of what we did was "imported" to other states that showed an interest.

My first wife has now been in a memory loss nursing/care home for about eight years, since the age of 56, due to nearly onset dementia. Our middle daughter has been relentless in checking on her and the care she receives. Family interest and presence - with props to NYgal2NC for her hard and loving work on behalf of her sister - is often key to excellent, attentive care. Sadly, too many families are content to warehouse elderly relatives in nursing homes and might visit once a year to assuage their guilt like Christians who only darken the door of their church at Easter or Christmas. The grossly underpaid and often unappreciated staff may get lax if they know no one is watching and keeping tabs on their family members.

All that being said, nursing homes provide much needed services and there are many excellent ones out there. But you have to kick some tires and shop for them.

And those are my thoughts about nursing homes.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:34 AM

^^^^^^^^ sure affordability is a prime factor. My sister is in a very rapid declining stage and will hopefully have enough resources until her Medicaid is approved. Her options are limited. Others could have had options but elected to use resources differently. We are researching what options our resources would provide so we can discuss future choices within the family. There are new options emerging yes expensive but with different flexibility regarding ownership of the unit you live in etc.

Last edited by TuborgP; 09-18-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement