Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:15 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,726,817 times

Advertisements

I always mix it up with movies, different DD or different malls. I go to ladies who lunch meet up groups. I'm also younger so most people assume I'm on my way to work....LOL no matter what time of day it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:24 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,802,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
And the point of this comment contributed to this thread how? ...
Except the snarky ones. They just irritate.
I was actually responding to a reply a couple above that I didn't quote. Just got rubbed the wrong way a little. My "snarkiness" earned me several reps BTW. It seems lots of others also get rubbed the way by some posters in this thread attacking what others think or questioning whether or not others should contribute to the thread (hypocritical much?).

Old 09-22-2015, 07:49 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,367,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
When I retire in ten years, I'll be doing the exact same thing every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.

I'll hop in my boat with my husband, spend the day on the water, come back to the house, walk to happy hour, come home and grill out, eat outside and watch tv in my outdoor living room in front of the fire by the pool, then go to bed.

Repeat.
Doesn't the very same thing day in and day out just wear on you, even though it's as easy as this routine? I don't like being confined to the very same thing all the time.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:54 AM

21,944 posts, read 13,012,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I see the old men's walking club at the mall.

I think they're having fun cheaply.
That would be exercising, and usually before the stores even open... Not what I think of when I think of "going to the mall." I'm all for exercising in retirement, and especially if one can socialize while doing it.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:32 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
I guess we are all creatures of habit but going to the same place every day at the same times would be too boring for me. I've been unemployed for nearly two months now and I just roam where ever the wind blows. I'm just finishing up a small project for a friend and we will start to build our stone patio this week. I have no desire to go to Starbucks, actually I've never been to one. My bestie wants me to come and paint her daughters room next. That will keep me busy this winter for a couple of weeks, if I decide not to go back to work. So far I'm loving early retirement but everything gets old. I need a lot of activity and a lot of variety.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,367,468 times
When I retire I plan on spending more time in the board room. That will be the place I keep my surf boards, skate boards, paddle boards. I plan on picking out one each day and taking it to my favorite beach and seeing how well I can balance on it.

Maybe take my boat out for a spin, drop a line in the water and see how that works out.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I don't bum around town. But we go to the Community Center fitness center, and I do see many of the same faces there week after week. Some of them are impaired, some are there for further rehab, and many are like me--just doing workouts. Since we go in the mornings, many of the people there are retired.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:21 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
Hmmm, what's wrong with, that's interesting or, I'm glad you like that or something that is not saying the person is doing something wrong. I don't get it. Just because what someone enjoys bores you does that mean that person is wrong? Or is what you do wrong.

People enjoy different things, that's all.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:25 PM

7,052 posts, read 6,313,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When I retire I plan on spending more time in the board room. That will be the place I keep my surf boards, skate boards, paddle boards. I plan on picking out one each day and taking it to my favorite beach and seeing how well I can balance on it.

Maybe take my boat out for a spin, drop a line in the water and see how that works out.
Hey, can I join you? On the boat I mean. I caught a huge northern last year & want to try again. Okay, it was the only one I caught in 50 years, but it could happen again, don't you think? Of course my nephew had to help me reel it in, but I hooked it.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,936,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thinker View Post
It is easy when retired to get into a schedule. I don't want to sit around the house all day with the wife so I go out and bum around town during the afternoon. My favorite places are the huge regional shopping center and the seating area next to the food court, Starbucks, the library and a local park. The funny thing is I see the same retired folks hanging out at these places day after day after day.

Do you bum around town and see the same folks at the local places, like those listed above, as you travel around? What do you make of it?
I see some 'regulars' at many places be it the gym, the airports- yes all small airports have their 'resident geezers' or 'airport bums';-), the boathouse, the library or the concert hall etc. So it does not surprise me a bit that you run into some regulars at your retirement hangout places.

The regulars go there for probably for the same reasons as yours:

1. It is easy to get into a schedule. Most of us have followed schedules all our life starting with school schedule then work schedule besides child-care schedule or other living schedule etc so it is expected that many retirees develop their 'retirement life' schedule

2. To get out of the house so that you are not 24/7 with the spouse or the TV ;-) I think it is the rare case that someone just want to stay indoor all the time.

3. Spend time at your favorite places or doing your favorite activities. Some people like bird watching, some like people watching. some like hiking, some like reading, some like going to the gym, some like breakfast at Starbucks, others at McDonald or Dunkin Donut etc. I like rowing and flying so I spend my weekends going to the boathouse or the airport and will likely spend a lot of my retirement time at these places.

The bottom line is that I don't think what you see or do is 'unusual'. If anything, I think that it is great for seniors to have replacement public locations for the offices or the office coolers. Two of the common issues that seniors face are loneliness and lack of physical activities. Get out of the house to go to the library, the mall, the park, the restaurants help solving both issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement