Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
And, as for the animal thing, a cat is non-negotiable. A dog is, although there was something on tv about how dogs are good for you. I think cats are to.

I would love to have my brother's dog. He's trying to find him a home now & May have found someone, but I have to laugh at his memory. When I was staying with that brother, I was in a small bedroom with a twin bed. Every night there were 5 kittens, the mother cat & the dog in bed with me. I certainly didn't have much room to sleep!

That sweetheart dog comes running whenever I visit but I can't have animals here. So I can't take him.
It's really amazing how dogs and cats can get along, and even conspire together. My big boy, shepard mix who is very tall, loves his kitties. The sleep with and on him. He barks at them and breaks up fights and gives them gentle kisses. One of my mini kitties, kitten sized but a year old, just loves to rub up against him and get kisses.

She also rides on my shoulder for as long as I'll let her and when I'm getting up and leaving the room jumps on her shoulder. Some other cat goes after her, he defends her. She's his kitty.

I have a queen sized bed. Lots or room for the fur kids and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,251,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Another thing I should say, I have thought about volunteering at a pet shelter but my heart may be too big & there is so much I can't do.

I can no longer bend & I can't lift. So all I could/can do is love the animals & help feed those I don't have to bend to feed.
Hugs meo! I did try volunteering at the local pet shelter. The shelter didn't require any bending or lifting. Just wanted people to walk and pet the animals.

While my apartment complex does allow pets, there's a $300 deposit for 1 pet ($400/2) and an monthly increase to rent of $15 for 1 ($20/2). Since I'm still trying to purchase items for the apartment, I'm not allowing myself to get a pet yet.

While I loved walking and petting the dogs and cats, I would come home desolate that I didn't have a pet of my own. One of the dogs was blind and would whimper while being walked and petted which just tore my heart out cause I wanted to help her so much! Also after 20 years of having 2 and 3 pets (yeah this Mom had a hard time saying no to the kids), I find it really hard to go without a pet. All the ASPCA and Humane shelter commercials drove me up a wall and I would be crying.

I've finally decided to wait on volunteering until I can have my own pet.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:56 AM

812 posts, read 795,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Hugs meo! I did try volunteering at the local pet shelter. The shelter didn't require any bending or lifting. Just wanted people to walk and pet the animals.

While my apartment complex does allow pets, there's a $300 deposit for 1 pet ($400/2) and an monthly increase to rent of $15 for 1 ($20/2). Since I'm still trying to purchase items for the apartment, I'm not allowing myself to get a pet yet.

While I loved walking and petting the dogs and cats, I would come home desolate that I didn't have a pet of my own. One of the dogs was blind and would whimper while being walked and petted which just tore my heart out cause I wanted to help her so much! Also after 20 years of having 2 and 3 pets (yeah this Mom had a hard time saying no to the kids), I find it really hard to go without a pet. All the ASPCA and Humane shelter commercials drove me up a wall and I would be crying.

Wow, Deelighted, that sounds rough, but it sounds like you are being smart to wait a bit until you can afford a pet. I hope it goes quickly so you can soon have a dog or cat.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM

679 posts, read 878,702 times
We are seriously thinking of a mobile home as well! Perhaps we will be neighbors.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:04 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post

That sounds sensible. It is so hard to live without a fur friend.

Prior to the back operation I could lift & somewhat bend. Due to that, I only made things worse, because I could, I did.

Once I had the operation, I could never bend to pet Kitsuni (the dog) & he just didn't understand. It broke my heart because I also couldn't let him jump on me.

That's another reason I hesitate to volunteer. Honestly, I don't understand but animals, not all but most, come running to me and jump on me to be petted. After the operation the doctor told me I could not fall as it could undo all that had been done, so I can't let dogs jump on me.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:11 PM

7,048 posts, read 6,300,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
We are seriously thinking of a mobile home as well! Perhaps we will be neighbors.
If you are thinking of Tennessee that might just happen, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement