Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:38 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,283,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
At my age I would never consider buying a home of any kind other than a condo that is right on top of everything needed for daily function. The mobile home parks I know of are not within easy reach of anything, a car is always needed. The expenses involved are never fixed. If the OP is relatively low-income, I would think finding a rent-restricted apartment in a nice city or town would make a whole lot more sense. JMO.
My sister and BIL are looking into a senior condo place in the city of san Antonio. They are not house people and she wants to be close to his doctors. They already live in the city, but not in the downtown area. They go to a lot of events there and it would be perfect for them. No driving required. Everything they would need is right there.

I told her that in a few years, I might join them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,305,249 times
I'll know more after we (the building) has our annual review in January. I'm not certain if the settlement I received from the car accident is going to put me in another bracket or not. I am not going to dip into it until I need to & my rent here may go up over $100 per month if it's included as income.

I am fairly certain it does not apply for taxes but, again, I will find out at tax time. It did make a difference in getting help for Medicare part B, I will be paying $43 a month for that as opposed to -0-.

Everything is up in the air right now. If that money is counted as income it may be best to buy something in Tennessee. A mobile home on some land. I've seen some decent ones that were pretty reasonable.

As I said, everything's just up in the air at the moment.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:18 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
The mobile home I owned turned into a nightmare. I had three pets which were permitted, but when I locked my gate they said I couldn't since the park guy 'had to be able to get to the area below'. My beagle could open the gate. Then my son planted some flowers in our little yard, and they were very pretty. We come home to find the yard dug up and a bill, as it seemed they were not 'approved flowers'. When I looked toward retirement and a place I excluded any of these 'parks'. They rent went up to the point I couldn't pay it, doubling in a year and I got nearly nothing for the place, but it was also 'fees' added which really bumped it up, so it was okay. You unknowingly agreed to the 'fees' when you signed your contract.

Check the reputation of any park and before you sign, have the contract looked over by a lawyer. Find out if they'd been sued and by how many and why. Avoid anyone who has had a more than a few. I made the gate wired shut, so they could intrude, but they still called it private space while making it unprivate.

Specifically ask anyone if they'd have a problem with fostering a dog. Also, find out if others have problems with pets.

I loved my house and it was horrible losing it. I'd never tell anyone to move into a park without finding out the history of the place they won't tell you and getting a good word on the contract from a reputable lawyer.

Do you want to live 'in town' in terms of a large city? If not look in small towns, and see what small houses are available for sale or rent. Many are not expensive. Have someone look over them and make sure your not paying out big costs for maintance, but if you find one cheap you have a yard and aside from the city rules you should have no problem with a foster dog. Most cities/towns allow three.

The thing I'd worry about with a mobile home would be the known practices of the place and not from their description. Do LOTS of research. Mobile home places are a very different set of potential problems from a house. Buyers must beware.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 PM

505 posts, read 716,990 times
Rather than fostering animals, have you thought about volunteering at a pet shelter. It seems they always need help. Another thought would be pet sitting. Both things would give you your animal fix without having to change your living situation.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
And a grocery store that delivers
I've started ordering all the stapes online from Walmart. I buy milk, and meat from elsewhere, but found better prices on the other stuff by ordering it. I don't have a car so that cuts down a lot of the need for trips to the store. I'm getting their fifty dollar deal so you get two day shipping and some discounts.

Check out amazon for a lot of the stuff you'd get at a general sort of store too. You can actually save and what I like is if there's a problem you never have a problem with returns. If only Brahms delivered...

Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 PM

I'm still just investigating. If I got a mobile home I would probably get one with land, not in a park, unless it's a ROC. (Resident owned community) There is so much to consider! I have to investigate the different places I'm interested in, then I have to evaluate which would be the best financially.

I know it's not here. If I stayed in the area, I would have to move to town. And there's really nothing there. So I just have to search until it's right.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 13,202 times
So sorry for your loss. We waited more than a year to get a new dog after our 15 year old dog went to the happy hunting grounds. Now we have two. Hubby is not a cat person, so I got cat sized dogs. It's hard to describe how happy a wagging tail can be at the end of a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It is hard to explain to non animal people.
I'm not sure I trust people who don't like animals.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhuntersellsnova View Post
So sorry for your loss. We waited more than a year to get a new dog after our 15 year old dog went to the happy hunting grounds. Now we have two. Hubby is not a cat person, so I got cat sized dogs. It's hard to describe how happy a wagging tail can be at the end of a long day.

I'm not sure I trust people who don't like animals.
I agree. The more I think about it, the more I think a home on land, or even a small home in town...I am just amazed at what's out there. Yes, the ones I am looking at need some work, but if I can get one cheap enough I can pay cash, or 1/2 down or whatever. The down payment because of taxes, not because I couldn't do it.

Anyway, I could then put what I would have paid for rent into renovations. This is going to be so interesting & my Nashville brother can go through it with me. And his daughter, (my namesake) can help with the moving.

I am such a tough aunt - but she does have to live up to the name, lol.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:30 PM

And, as for the animal thing, a cat is non-negotiable. A dog is, although there was something on tv about how dogs are good for you. I think cats are to.

I would love to have my brother's dog. He's trying to find him a home now & May have found someone, but I have to laugh at his memory. When I was staying with that brother, I was in a small bedroom with a twin bed. Every night there were 5 kittens, the mother cat & the dog in bed with me. I certainly didn't have much room to sleep!

That sweetheart dog comes running whenever I visit but I can't have animals here. So I can't take him.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:48 PM

Another thing I should say, I have thought about volunteering at a pet shelter but my heart may be too big & there is so much I can't do.

I can no longer bend & I can't lift. So all I could/can do is love the animals & help feed those I don't have to bend to feed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement