Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:50 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,607,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I lived in Europe as a child and I know there is a nicer, cleaner, more welcoming environment out there than this country. I have long felt out of place in the U.S. And wished for an alternative lifestyle. I am poor and without means, so I am stuck here til I die, but I still have the dream of a better life.
I honestly don't know what to make of this.

You lived in Europe as a child, and that experience tells you that an adult would find Europe a nicer, more welcoming place than this country? Without even touching on the differences in childhood perceptions versus adult reality, I'm not sure how do you evaluate two entities that are so large/diverse and pronounce one cleaner or more welcoming.

Europe is Norway, Portugal, Russia, Macedonia, Belgium, Turkey, and so much more. The United States is Sarasota, Bangor, Austin, Eugene, New York City, Sierra Vista, etc. Are you comparing cleanliness of Rome to Sante Fe, or Zurich to Memphis? Are people more welcoming Moscow versus Savannah, or Dublin versus Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 02:50 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,801,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Who needs Medicare? You'd be able to get medical coverage if you lived in a country with socialized medicine available to all.

This thread is interesting. I know nothing of these countries mentioned, but I lived in Europe as a child and I know there is a nicer, cleaner, more welcoming environment out there than this country. I have long felt out of place in the U.S. And wished for an alternative lifestyle. I am poor and without means, so I am stuck here til I die, but I still have the dream of a better life.
I've been in Europe the last 3 weeks. It's smelly in Rome, human feces by the refugees can be found near the area I frequent, awful urine smell. I personally saw a girl peeing on the road in Florence. That's said I love Rome.
In Vienna, there are beggars near train station. It's cleaner than Italy but the smoke from smokers here is awful. I live in California so it's very clean and I rarely have to deal with smokers, the in your face smokers.
I think memories can be deceiving. There is no way I would prefer to live in Europe vs USA. Better life, you must be kidding.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:41 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,380,709 times
I wouldn't mind Australia.

Parts of Mexico sound quite appealing, although the gated community aspect is a lot less appealing to me.

In the U.S., Arizona is becoming quite popular with Canadians, even more so than Florida now.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,797,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I wouldn't mind Australia.

Parts of Mexico sound quite appealing, although the gated community aspect is a lot less appealing to me.

In the U.S., Arizona is becoming quite popular with Canadians, even more so than Florida now.
Do a little more research on Australia you might not feel the same way.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,352,234 times
Panama
Costa Rica
New Zealand
Spain

New Zealand is almost impossible to retire to though. They have very stringent standards and requirements. Obviously Costa Rica and Panama are easier to retire to for an American. We lived in Hawaii (Hilo on the Big Island), and while it may be part of the US it doesn't feel that way. We plan on retiring back there very soon. It's a different type of life. While it does take money to live there, the priorities are what we respect. Healthy food, good friendships, and a slower pace are what attracts us, along w/ the natural beauty. You don't feel as if you're living in a country run by the military, insanely crooked and incompetent politicians, and the police, like you do in the US.

I know, I know, all the right wingers on here feel that this is the best country on earth, and we feel they are totally delusional. Things are way out of control these days, and we don't like it, and haven't for a long time actually. The problem is, there are many countries that are apparently as bad or worse. So Hawaii is a safe bet. For now :]

Old 07-27-2016, 01:57 AM

3,090 posts, read 1,692,741 times
I have no desire to leave the US, but if I had to I would check into Australia. Never been there but I've a strong hunch that it would be a good fit for me.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,607,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
You don't feel as if you're living in a country run by the military, insanely crooked and incompetent politicians, and the police, like you do in the US.
I've not once felt like I'm living in a country run by the military in the US. I see the usual peaceful transfer of executive and legislative power, and a military that has always reported to and served the elected civilian leadership.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 PM

7,471 posts, read 4,722,986 times
For the perfect all year weather of 65 to 82 degrees, Tagaytay City, Philippines.

This is the best found there. Impressive amenities (the video has something about retirees/health care component). Impressive views.

Canyon Woods Residential Resort

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zQfYTehsQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement