Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:28 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,624,404 times

Advertisements

I was very happy to retire my game face - upon retirement from work 6.5 years ago. It was a huge relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:33 PM

12,194 posts, read 8,590,200 times
No. I still wear it in the morning for DH. I think he appreciates the effort.

And I definitely put it on when little people are around. Don't want to scare them.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 PM

7,079 posts, read 6,377,349 times
It is wonderful to no longer wear suits and, although it took some time for me to do it, it feels wonderful to no longer use make-up. It is also wonderful to wear jeans most of the time. I actually had to buy jeans as I only had one pair.

Waking up whenever my body wants to is wonderful also. Sometimes it's 4 or 5 in the morning. That gives me time to read. Sometimes I don't wake up until 11 am and feel refreshed.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:11 AM

18,738 posts, read 33,541,338 times
Heh, I'm ahead of the curve. I only wore makeup the two years I worked days in a software company. I know I look "better" in makeup but have never wanted to wear it, and wearing glasses was sort of the last straw when I couldn't wear contacts anymore.

I did mean "game face" in a bit less of a literal way, but it's a good point!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:21 AM

5,911 posts, read 4,471,114 times
Game face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKTKUvbVsA

Old 08-16-2016, 05:59 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,375,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I have to put my third-shift game face on for co-workers, not patients!

True. It is hard no matter who it is.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,955,684 times
Quote:
I realize, in addition to all the reasons to look forward to retirement, that I really look forward to not "putting on my game face" every night (or day or whatever your work calls for). I especially often go into my night shift in a bad mood, having just woken up, and everyone that is headed home is sort of revved and wide awake and noisy, and just answering that question "How are you" is annoying. (I come alive around two or three in the morning, but still need my game face because I'm at work and I'd rather not be. This has been lifelong, but as I see an end in sight, even more so).

So for those who are retired, how does it feel not to need a game face every day or whenever? To have whatever moods or say whatever you want or not say anything every day? Do you notice a difference in your demeanor when you can do/feel whatever you want?

I can only WISH I could look forward to not having to wear a "game face" every day anymore! Working with the public since I was 16 I learned very early on that I was NOT allowed to have a "bad day", not feel well or be out of sorts in ANY way. Smile, smile and smile some more. I don't mind asking people how they are doing but sometimes hate it when they ask me back because they wouldn't want to hear the truth! lol Found out I don't dare say I am doing "okay" because then I hear, "What? JUST okay?". Grrrrrr. What's wrong with "okay"? So now, it's always "I'm great, thanks!". And that happens about 100 times a day.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Heh, I'm ahead of the curve. I only wore makeup the two years I worked days in a software company. I know I look "better" in makeup but have never wanted to wear it, and wearing glasses was sort of the last straw when I couldn't wear contacts anymore.

I did mean "game face" in a bit less of a literal way, but it's a good point!

I quit wearing makeup to work six years ago. I was working partly outdoors in midsummer and the makeup just RAN all over the place so I quit and either nobody ever noticed or were polite enough not to mention it. lol Actually, most of the women at work don't wear much, if any, makeup. Mostly the young ones. As for glasses...I always say that my glasses "hide a multitude of sins". I did try contacts at one point but didn't like them much.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 AM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I quit wearing makeup to work six years ago. I was working partly outdoors in midsummer and the makeup just RAN all over the place so I quit and either nobody ever noticed or were polite enough not to mention it. lol Actually, most of the women at work don't wear much, if any, makeup. Mostly the young ones. As for glasses...I always say that my glasses "hide a multitude of sins". I did try contacts at one point but didn't like them much.
I've had to give up wearing makeup. I found that the foundation and skin cream I was using would make my eyes burn and itch. I eliminated each one at a time so I could find the culprit. Same with mascara.

I just now use a loose powder and lipstick.

I've found that it is very "freeing" to be done with it. And it goes against the grain around here because there is a resurgence of women doing intricate makeup routines. One woman said it took her two hours to achieve her look and thought all women should go through this - NO WAY!!

Old 08-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I've had to give up wearing makeup. I found that the foundation and skin cream I was using would make my eyes burn and itch. I eliminated each one at a time so I could find the culprit. Same with mascara.

I just now use a loose powder and lipstick.

I've found that it is very "freeing" to be done with it. And it goes against the grain around here because there is a resurgence of women doing intricate makeup routines. One woman said it took her two hours to achieve her look and thought all women should go through this - NO WAY!!

It is definitely "freeing" to not mess with makeup anymore. I do wear brow pencil but that's it. I don't think I have enough eyelashes anymore to warrant mascara. lol I think back to when I was younger, and didn't really NEED it that much, but now that I'm older and could probably use the 'help', I just don't care anymore. Is that a bad thing??

Two hours???? I agree...NO WAY! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement