Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:14 AM

283 posts, read 411,004 times

Advertisements

No matter how you get it done, it saves lives. It is painful without being put under. I am only 45 yrs old and I have had six of them in the last 19 yrs. I was diagnosed with cancer at age 26 and I have had ulcers and other things fixed by just putting up with the procedure. It can be very painful and I don't know why anyone would want to go without being sedation of some sort.Just don't go without having it done because of fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:25 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,394,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had polyps removed without sedation during a colonoscopy and didn't feel a thing, like I said, there was some minor cramping reminiscent of gas pains but they were certainly tolerable.
I guess the level of discomfort with having a polyp removed would depend upon the size of the polyp. They can vary in size.

I recently opted for a general anesthetic for different procedure.... a uterine hysteroscopy with a D&C of the lining for a biopsy. It could've been done in the OBGYN's office without the anesthetic, but I wanted to be knocked out. Once they started the procedure, they found a "huge" uterine polyp (I didn't ask how large, that's just how the doctor described it) that they removed right then and there. Would've been an unpleasant experience had I been in an office without an anesthetic, I'd bet. Anyway, they biopsied the polyp and it turned out to be benign, so all's well that ends well. Very glad I chose the anesthetic though. Made that procedure nice and quick.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:08 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,507,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I guess the level of discomfort with having a polyp removed would depend upon the size of the polyp. They can vary in size.

I recently opted for a general anesthetic for different procedure.... a uterine hysteroscopy with a D&C of the lining for a biopsy. It could've been done in the OBGYN's office without the anesthetic, but I wanted to be knocked out. Once they started the procedure, they found a "huge" uterine polyp (I didn't ask how large, that's just how the doctor described it) that they removed right then and there. Would've been an unpleasant experience had I been in an office without an anesthetic, I'd bet. Anyway, they biopsied the polyp and it turned out to be benign, so all's well that ends well. Very glad I chose the anesthetic though. Made that procedure nice and quick.
The point is you CAN change your mind and have additional sedation if something changes and the procedure becomes more major than anticipated. You don't have to do "just in case" sedation.

It's crazy! I read constantly about people who don't want to EVER take any medication...and the thought of perhaps having to take a single pill a day to treat ANYTHING (like thyroid hormone, high BP, etc.) just puts them in a tizzy.

And yet they will NEVER consider not being given heavy drugs for a one time procedure that usually takes less than 30 minutes.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:17 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,856,079 times
You're very brave r63 but when you're doing a procedure that can perforate your bowel, then it's better for the MD to have a patient that will not jerk or flinch. I opted for sedation during my colonoscopy but evidently I was a bit of a wild child during the procedure and I had to have nearly twice the sedation to go down without a fight. I woke up during oral surgery once and that was not a pleasant experience.

The same MD will be doing my colonoscopy next year and I'm sure he will remember me. I saw him a lot at work. Doh! Yes I want sedation.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 AM

15,158 posts, read 12,323,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The intestine doesn't have that type of pain receptors - polyps can be removed with no pain, without sedation.

The patient's perspective

Yes, and I WILL have mine without sedation. Soon they'll be offering you sedation before getting your flu shot!
To each his own. I will take the sedation.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:28 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,031,885 times
My husband had an "awake" colonoscopy with a tranquilizer. Immediately after the procedure, he said it had been very uncomfortable. Within 10 minutes of leaving the hospital, he had forgotten the whole thing, because of the tranquilizer, I assume.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,439,764 times
My husband just had his first colonoscopy this week. He was sedated so he didn't feel pain, but awake enough to watch the images.

I've been through 1 entire child birth drug free and the other went through the entire labor and hours of pushing, etc. drug free only to have an emergency C-section with drugs. Like you OP I elected not to have unnecessary drugs. That kind of tells you where my head is at in terms of drugs for pain.

With that background I wouldn't even think about a colonoscopy without some sort of sedation or whatever it is they gave my husband.

BTW--when people say the prep is the worst part, they're not talking about anything that happens while sedated as you referenced earlier. They are talking about the massive amounts of laxatives one takes and the result. Husband was in the bathroom every 15-30 minutes all night.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,738,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
This head in the sand approach is foolish. Two people I know that had colon cancer (one died, one survived) both were diagnosed in their mid-60's. Neither had ever had a colonoscopy and in both cases the belief is if they had one when in their 50's, both could have been found and prevented.

I believe the drug of choice is Propofol (Diprivan). An anesthetic used to put people to sleep before surgery. It is also given for sedation in hospital intensive care units.
what was used on me and it was a really nice sleep. some places used versed with another med my choice Propofol.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,974,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The intestine doesn't have that type of pain receptors - polyps can be removed with no pain, without sedation.

The patient's perspective

Yes, and I WILL have mine without sedation. Soon they'll be offering you sedation before getting your flu shot!
My doctor didn't say anything about pain. Neither did I.

I assumed they want you staying STILL instead of moving while they're trying to do the removal.

I didn't ask many questions because it was my GP doctor not the actual person who would be doing the procedure. I needed the general overview because I can't easily not work for two days. I have clients I work for 365 I'd need to coordinate.

That's funny you start out asking a question - then end up telling everyone the correct and acceptable answer. Bolstered up with a conspiracy theory that they're only out to make evil money.

Ah....internet.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM

5,482 posts, read 4,123,632 times
I had one at 50 with Versed, no problem - asked for a doggy bag for the rest of the drugs, lol. Apparently you are awake but don't remember anything, we need something like that for holiday dinners with the relatives.

Anyway I am now in a position where I would have to drive myself home, not possible with drugs. I plan to get the DNA stool test instead. I am surprised no one has mentioned it. No prep needed, Medicare pays for it. If you don't have any risk factors (previous polyps, family history) ask your doctor about it. You can go to the website to find out which doctors offer it in your area. Name is Cologard.

As far as going without, I knew a lady who never had one, at about 70 she felt sick, turned out to be colon cancer, she was dead 3 months later.

Get the test people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement