Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:46 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post

So once my Dad started squirming, the doc/nurse just put him under. They never wanted to do it without sedation in the first place, which is a higher risk procedure FOR THEM. It does increase the chance of perforating the colon if the patient moves. You tend to move if you are in pain.

This is actually false. There was a study done, that showed the deeper the patient was sedated, the higher the risk for perforation. The reason is because when there is no pain feedback, the doctor tends to push the scope in harder, increasing the risk for perforation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
My doctor told me that this is one test that can really save your life. I'm 54 and have had 2 procedures and both times they've removed pre-cancerous polyps. I have no family history and no risk factors.

Both times I've done it with the drugs, which I love. The prep sucks, but the procedure itself is no biggie.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My doctor told me that this is one test that can really save your life. I'm 54 and have had 2 procedures and both times they've removed pre-cancerous polyps. I have no family history and no risk factors.

Both times I've done it with the drugs, which I love. The prep sucks, but the procedure itself is no biggie.

Colonscopy is VERY important. Around 45 - 50, plan on at least one. If nothing is found, have another in 10 years or so. Despite all the non-invasive "predictors" out there, many people will never know until it's too late. Colon cancer is very often advanced by the time it announces itself. It's also very aggressive and almost impossible to control once it metastasizes, which, in some cases, it will, even when just a little invasive. It's scary and it's deadly! Don't take chances.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I was unsedated and had an IV, I think that's standard procedure.
You mean you had a needle inserted in your arm - but they didn't push anything through it?

That would be unlikely - but possible IMO.

Odds are you got a little "twilight sleep". Robyn

Old 09-01-2016, 03:35 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
This is not strictly a retirement topic but is an over-50 topic.

I'm 53 and my doctor is on me every time now to get one done even though I'm low risk on all the typical factors. I already got screwed on a different procedure when I said I did NOT want anesthesia and they said they would not unless they "had to". I have a very high pain threshhold at the dentist but for every medical procedure they want to put you out...I suspect for more profit or so they can be faster and more roughshod in how they do it...also, no witness since you're out of it!

In Europe, colonoscopies are commonly done without anesthesia. How many of you here have opted to go without? What was your reason and how did it go?

I'm not really interested in the prep-stuff - I've heard and read countless stories of how it is worse than the procedure itself - usually because they were unconscious! I've also heard of many tips and tricks to make it easier so I'm fine with all that. Please concentrate on the procedure itself if you were conscious.
I've undergone one flex-sig and one "full" colonoscopy -the former has reportedly fallen out of favor with the medical profession.

I'd spent several weeks immobilized (for the most part) in a body cast as a subteen -- and that tends to reduce the hang-ups about rectal penetration, so I specifically asked the physician to waive the sedation; it was agreed to -- subject to the provision that I would be put under at the first serious discomfort.

As it turned out, I felt very little, save for easing the scope around one of the last two bends at the upper part of the colon, and a little pressure on the abdomen from an assisting nurse quickly took care of that. I was able to "watch the show" on an overhead monitor, and it's a strange experience to see a small flashing red light moving around your navel, but under your hide.

It makes for a pretty good "bar bet", too. ("So you think you get around, buddy?; Well, I've looked up one place you haven't! -- LOL)

Old 09-01-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Colonscopy is VERY important. Around 45 - 50, plan on at least one. If nothing is found, have another in 10 years or so. Despite all the non-invasive "predictors" out there, many people will never know until it's too late. Colon cancer is very often advanced by the time it announces itself. It's also very aggressive and almost impossible to control once it metastasizes, which, in some cases, it will, even when just a little invasive. It's scary and it's deadly! Don't take chances.
What is interesting in my case is I didn't have a family history of colon cancer. Until my mother died from it at age 80+. Her side of the family had a terrible history of cardiac disease. And - before things like bypass surgery - just about everyone died at < 65 of heart issues. Well my mother had 2 bypass surgeries - which prolonged her life. So she lived long enough to get "other stuff". In her case - colon cancer.

I seriously doubt my mother got the best medical care after she was diagnosed with colon cancer. I do know that she developed a total intestinal blockage and had some wire type contraption inserted in her colon to keep her "patent". And that it was very painful. Even when she was taking morphine. I would have dealt with her very differently than my father did (but didn't have the opportunity to do so). Robyn

Old 09-01-2016, 03:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You mean you had a needle inserted in your arm - but they didn't push anything through it? That would be unlikely - but possible IMO. Odds are you got a little "twilight sleep". Robyn
saline, nothing else. I'm not sure why that strikes you as odd, I've had other procedures done with a local anesthetic, i.e. two breast biopsies and in both cases they established an IV.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'm a gastroenterologist so I can give the inside scoop.

In the hands of a skilled endoscopist, anesthesia is not necessary.
I'm gonna brag here, but I'm good at my job, and the most common patient that requests me to do colonoscopies unsedated are (believe it or not), anesthesiologists. At worse you may feel some gas cramps, but the majority of unsedated patients will happily watch their colon on the monitor as I'm doing it.

We offer sedation for a multitude of reasons. Its more efficient for the whole process when the patient is sedated.
Some GI docs just plain suck, and can't do an unsedated colonoscopy because they have no finesse. Run away from any GI doc that refuses to do an unsedated colonoscopy, usually means they have no skill. There is some financial incentive, especially if the GI doc owns the endocenter and employs the anethesiologists, they will get a cut of the anesthesia fee (which sometimes is more than the actually colonoscopy fee).

Here in NYC, everyone gets sedated with propofol, because frankly NYC are gingers and can't take any discomfort.
The rest of the world, sedation is hardly used. My japanese in laws talk about their unsedated egds and colonoscopies all the time.

Anesthesia is still covered by most insurances, but I can forsee a future as we get more socialized, that they will cut out the luxury of anesthesia. So enjoy it while you can.

Most importantly, don't forget to do your colonoscopy. Its the most effective way to prevent colon cancer.
I like my IV sedation. My last prep was kind of miserable (one out of 4 - wound up vomiting a lot) - and I was floating on air with the IV sedation. There has to be a cherry and whipped cream on the top after dealing with a miserable prep .

I am not so sure how right you are about everything else. This last colonoscopy - my doctor had to change from a regular sized scope to a pediatric scope in the middle of the procedure to get "way up there" (I'm a small older woman with an apparently small convoluted messed up colon in parts these days).

To me - the bottom line is cleaning myself out 100% - no matter how miserable the prep might be - so my GI doc can get good unobstructed looks - and cut out whatever nasty things I have (has been a while since I didn't have any). Without my trying to be a martyr or similar on the pain front. Nothing wrong with that IMO. How about yours? Robyn

Old 09-01-2016, 04:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No anesthesia, no colonoscopy. That's my motto.

I've had several of them, since my mother had colon cancer at 40. I don't want to know a thing about it until it's over.
My mom had one, and that was it, never again... and died from colon cancer at 82. Which went into her hip bones.

I was terrified of having a colonoscopy, and frankly, it was all a fuss over nothing.

I can't believe how badly I miss my mom...

Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 PM

45 posts, read 82,603 times
Default Had mine this morning

As I mentioned in my previous post (#58), i went in for my Colonoscopy this morning (it was delayed a day).

Yesterday's prep was easier than I anticipated. Lots of Gatorade (64oz) throughout the day, of course with MiraLAX powder mixed in (238 grain bottle). Also took six Dulcolax tablets (5mg) with water: 2 at 9 a.m., 2 at 12 noon and 2 at 8 p.m.

Ate lots of jello and had several mugs of vegetable broth to create the illusion that I was having real food.

And had my usual dosage of Starbucks coffee (black) periodically throughout the day.

The trips to the bathroom weren't as frequent or explosive as they might have been, but then I didn't eat much the previous day.

Slept fine last night. No hunger pangs, surprisingly. And no middle of the night bathroom trips, either.

This morning, my wife dropped me off at the hospital at 7:15 a.m. By 7:30 was checked in, dressed in my backless hospital gown, and relaxing on the gurney while a nurse started my I.V.

By 8:00, I was being wheeled into the procedure room.

Rather than general anesthesia (Propofol), which I had during my previous two Colonoscopies, I opted for the local anesthesia this time (not sure what it was - forgot to ask; I'll call tomorrow and find out).

After being wheeled into the procedure room, I remember adjusting the pillow under my head and telling the nurse that I was comfortable and... Poof! I woke up in the recovery room. Done already? I chatted with the nurse for about 20 or 30 minutes, was given a set of color photos of my lower intestines, told to come back in ten years, and see ya later! I was dressed and out of there by 9:20 or so.

Got home in ten minutes, farted every 10 or 15 minutes or so for about an hour, brewed some coffee, ate a sandwich, and went to Home Depot to buy some stuff for the yard. Seriously. Back to normal life.

End of story.

No pain or discomfort. No sensation of being probed. In fact, I honestly don't remember anything at all about the procedure itself. I don't even remember being wheeled out of the procedure room to the recovery room. Seriously!

In ten years, I'll do it again.

Hope this is an encouragement to some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement