Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2016, 03:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
You are exaggerating my comments. I clearly said that I am an advocate in being responsible for ones own health. I don't know where you go for medical procedures, but myself and my wife ALWAYS have spoken with the very Dr that does the procedure. Whether Lasik, colonoscopies, oral surgury..what ever. THAT is just one of the things about what I mean about being an advocate. If you go to a Dr, and don't know exactly who is doing what to you..the fault is yours. You are in the drivers seat. I really don't give a hoot whether you ever get one or not, with or without sedation. No skin off my a$$. Of course a Dr advises. They can't command and force you to do anything. Pointless point. If your Dr said "go either way", then go the painful way and save (maybe) a few bucks. Mine are 100% free with sedation, all the time. And if I had to pay for sedation as extra, as I've had to for ofher stuff, I would. My choice.

I must, however, apologize, as I had no reason to even post in this thread. You clearly asked for input from people that had done the procedure without sedation. Nothing else. I erroneously chimed in with the others on the sedation vs no sedation, which is not what you asked. You have already chosen no sedation. My error.
I wouldn't apologize. I think your messages have been very lucid.

I think the OP may not have correct information. Like thinking anesthesia won't be covered by her insurance. When - in fact - it will be if it's an ACA-compliant policy.

She also seems to think that people can't meet their GI doctors before a colonoscopy. Which - as the 2 of us demonstrate - clearly isn't impossible. Although how that is handled under the ACA or her particular insurance policy - I don't know (my private insurance was pre-ACA and now I'm on Medicare).

I don't have a clue what kind of insurance the OP has. Nor has she mentioned it. Seems to me you really can't make an intelligent decision about some medical stuff if you're a person of somewhat limited means and may be looking at (potentially large) out-of-pocket costs for something that is seemingly optional - like sedation for colonoscopy. OTOH - I can't imagine anyone who has insurance today who will have to pay anything out of pocket for - at a minimum - IV sedation for a colonoscopy. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 03:02 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,131,639 times
This year I had a colonoscopy. I've been on the five year plan since age 40 due to both parents having had colon cancer. For the first time, a pre-cancerous polyp was found. Although I knew my genetics worked against me, I naively thought my vegan diet would prevent this. I believe it can be safely said that the colonoscopy saved my life.

The prep isn't fun, but so what? To complain about it is like adults who say that they "hate needles" and avoid donating blood, getting vaccinations, and avoiding medical procedures. I also want to retort that I don't especially like needles either, but I even more would dislike the consequences of avoiding said needles.

The new drug (Propophol) is wonderful. You are instantly alert, with no hung-over feeling.

Depending on the skill of your doctor and the anatomy of your colon, a colonoscopy can hurt. So what? You won't be feeling/remembering it. I was allowed to sit in on my husband's colonoscopy and he did cry out in pain once as it snaked around---but he doesn't remember a thing.

Occasionally I think why bother with a screening like a colonoscopy when other organs can be screened---so it's not like you have a complete clean bill of health throughout your entire body just because you pass your colonoscopy. But the colon is one organ that can be readily investigated, so best to take advantage of that.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
On my 50th Birthday there was no talk about colonoscopies. I threw a 50th B-D party for friends when I lived in San Jose...pizza and beer. That was a fun time.

Then on my 55th Birthday had another pizza and beer party for friends down here in So. Cal. Another fun time.

Maybe I'll do another smaller party for some friends on my 80th...working up to that.

Thinking back to my 50's I didn't go to MD's that much and don't know when my integrative MD started to mention them, maybe 60something.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:22 PM

260 posts, read 234,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I didn't read all the posts.

I told my doctor the same thing I never want anesthesia - but he said the reason for the sedation is so they can REMOVE the suspicious polyps. NOT just for the "looking" part.

Of COURSE you have to do the prep.

EUROPE? Yeah, ok. I had medical treatment in Europe inadvertently. NEVER AGAIN. And I had relatives in the business - actually professors at the university. A few times. For my son I had to call his pediatrician over HERE and get the proper medication sent over to me. I even knew to take a PDR over every time I went.

I'll just say: Those EU relatives who are in the medical community come HERE for medical treatment. Heart surgeon, pediatrician and general surgeon. AND they sent my BIL here to get an accurate diagnosis for possible autism vs traumatic brain damage from forceps.

AND my son had a nanny who was an RN here because her husband came to AMERICA for veterinary training sabbatical. From SWITZERLAND.

But be my guest and have your colonoscopy over there without anesthesia LOL.
It sounds as if you have had an unfortunate experience but I would hesitate to condemn the whole European medical system per se.

If anyone here is planning a trip to Europe , have no fear. I lived in the UK and France for 36 years and received excellent care; ditto, my family. The odds are high that you will too.

Might you have a less than optimal experience? Possibly, but many of us living in the US could say the same thing. Just because my experiences were always extremely positive does not mean that every experience is the same. The corollary of that is that just because you had a negative experience you should beware of making general conclusions.

Extrapolating macro assumptions from particular and micro experiences can often lead to unnuanced and incorrect thinking.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Could be too as to why I'm comfortable with the NO colonoscopy tests is for the grape seed extract I take now 21 yrs.

Grape Seed Extract Outperforms Chemo in Killing Advanced Cancer Cells | Natural Society

I started taking Pycnogenol in 1995 at age 57 and then went to grape seed extract a year later and take both some days.

No tests for me. Even cancer centers are working with these OPC's in their cancer research. Makes too much common sense to me.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I haven't had a colonoscopy while awake. But I had one with Fentanyl and Versed (in GI doctor's office) and one with propofol (hospital outpatient). Next time I have one, I'm going to request Fentanyl and Versed again. After the procedure I slept the whole rest of the day other than waking up briefly every couple of hours and going right back to sleep. It was the most blissful sleep I've ever had.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Had one earlier this year and hoping to have another one. Really hoping for another one. I had been on a 10 year schedule since my 50's until five years ago. Had one polyp which was benign. It was cut out and I went on a retest in five years which was this year. No new Polyps and the one that had been cut out was perfectly healed with no new anything. Back on a ten year schedule with the next one if tested being at 78. That would be dependent on health and life expectancy expectations at that time. Thus I am anxiously hoping to be test again in ten years

Old 09-26-2016, 05:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
I am a fan of no sedation, but I realize that will not work for every individual. I just had what will probably be my final colonoscopy this morning, unless I should develop symptoms or problems. I had a polyp removed almost three decades ago, but several subsequent colonoscopies were clear and so I went on a 10-year schedule. The exam today was good, and the next 10-year interval will put me at 82, and I understand they don't like to do routine screening colonoscopies after age 80. All of my colonoscopies (five or six total) were done without sedation and I never had any trouble.

A GI doc once told me that women who have had children are more likely to need sedation. I didn't ask him why because it didn't apply to me. So (to repeat) I am not claiming that what worked well for me will work well for everybody.

There are several advantages to no sedation: First you don't have to arrange for a driver. I am divorced and live alone and although I have friends with whom I exchange favors from time to time, it is sometimes a hassle for us singles to get a driver. My HMO wants an adult with you even if you are taking the bus, subway, or taxi! Overkill in my opinion but it is what it is.

Second you don't have to wait the extra 30 minutes after it is over. (At least that is the protocol at my HMO; they want to see "how you're feeling" after the sedation).

Third, you are clear-headed and can do whatever you want (work, school, business meetings, or other) after you leave the facility. This afternoon I met with someone to receive and discuss a bid and I wouldn't have wanted to be in a fog for that!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
I had one at age 50. I'll get another at age 60. The Fleet phospho-soda laxative doesn't make my top-10 list of enjoyable things but once every decade is no big deal.

There is a humorous Dave Barry/Miami Herald column from 2009 where he writes about his colonoscopy that's a fun read.
Here's the link:
Dave Barry: A journey into my colon -- and yours | Miami Herald

Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 AM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
I think Fentanyl is the best part of the colonoscopy the worst part is the clean-out (Prep) I have had 2 because of family history of crohn's. Fentanyl is like legal heroin when you wake up feels so good best high I have ever felt. Reading about getting it done with no sedation kind of interest me because I watched that NBC show where they did it on Katie Couric and she was not sedated didn't seem to be in any pain. I'm interested in watching the video inside my colon I have always been very interested in medical stuff but was a terrible student never could make it in medical school.

On a side note a co-worker who had one at 50 they found stage 2 colon cancer they just caught it before it went into the liver he had no idea the tumor was in is colon it blocked 60% of his colon in a spot where it's liquid and could not feel anything. Don't screw around with skipping a colonoscopy it's stupid and an easy procedure very low risk his family had no history of colon cancer. There is no doubt Colonoscopy saved his life. This was back in 2005 he has been cancer free for more then 10 years he got to see his grand kids born please get the colonoscopy don't listen to anyone who says you should not get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement