Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2016, 08:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually, a colonoscopy is prevention. The first step in colon cancer is polyps. Search and destroy...Remove the polyps, risk goes down.

As I said, my mother found colonoscopies distasteful and after her first, where they found and removed several polyps, she opted to not do it again. She died of colon cancer that went straight into her hip bones. Now, she also had ulcerative colitis from a young age, so she had a greater chance of getting colon cancer. I don't think I have the same chance...but I will go every five years, as requested.

But I do agree with you, that it is your decision to take this or any other medical test and yes, we are being tested out the wahzoo. I question tests, and medications, and research them. I don't blindly follow what my doctor says, but I also have a very good working relationship with my doctor. I know he's not a pill thrower, or I'd be a pain pill popping addict. With my and my husbands pain issues, he's tried other NSAIDs and we don't take opiates. He told me to try massage to release my muscles...it works. And he's also keeping his eyes on herbal remedies. They don't work for everyone.
I don't have anything against preventative measures. But, I also know there is nothing magical about the age of 50 and I've read a lot that for women, 60 is not a bad age to start as males are more at risk and at an earlier age than women...and I've never been big on red meat or processed meat. For those who say "my cousin had cancer at 45" - sure - maybe we should all be tested at 40 then..or even 30...it's an odds game and if I want to wait a couple years, oh well.

What I REALLY don't like, and have had experience with, is doctors patting me on the head when I've told them loud and clear that I would rather not be sedated and then they do it anyway, out of concern?!

They can insert the IV just in case...but no, they should not start pushing sedation if I do not request it. I don't care if they have to stop for 2 minutes while I go under, or if it adds 10 minutes because they have to slow down and be a little gentler or use a more refined technique. They can make up their time on some other poor sedated sod, but not ME.

I've also been charged extra for the sedation I did not want - and had to pay out of pocket for it. You can make all the calls you want to your insurance and ask the doctor and ask their staff to check into it and they give you info off the top of their head because they don't really know how insurance works and don't really care because that is on YOU to pay in the end.

The health system is so opaque that it is nearly impossible to make informed decisions...and though I am not a suspicious person, over the years this seems more and more by design to keep the profits coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:41 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowMeowArfArf View Post
I am 62, have never had a colonoscopy, and don't plan to get one. Like you, I consider myself low-risk for colon cancer (I am vegetarian, a non-smoker, not overweight, no family history).

You sound wary of the medical profession, and I think you have good reason to be when it comes to cancer. Doctors have all sorts of ways to diagnose and treat cancer, but if you ask them how to prevent cancer, they cannot tell you anything (a colonoscopy is diagnosis, not prevention). And there are no studies or clinical trials on cancer prevention, because all the money is in treatment drugs.

I have always said, when the medical profession starts paying attention to cancer prevention, then I will listen to them on whether to get a colonoscopy.

We are in agreement. The conventional medical world doesn't preach Prevention.

You would do well to know about this group:

The Cancer Prevention and Education Society

Everyone COULD be so much healthier and MAYBE cancer free taking antioxidants like: pycnogenol or grape seed extract. At a lecture on Pycnogenol which was arriving in the U.S. from France we were told it MAY prevent cancer(s)...i jumped on it in 1995...21 yrs soon. I take both these OPC's.

Many cancer research facilities like Mayo, City of Hope, Sloan and others are using these power antioxidants called OPC's in their cancer research.

I do none of the "suggested" testing. I'm 78 and in good health except for advancing OA and hip replacement mess. GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-03-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM

505 posts, read 716,666 times
My Dad, long gone, used to say "If this is worse to befall you, you are very fortunate". HAving had two colonoscopies, I have to say, they were a bump in the road, not the worse to befall me. FEel the same about mammograms.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:18 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
I don't see the big uproar over sedation. Sure, you can't eat for 8 hours before, but the prep has you really limited on eating anyway. You get a nap out of the deal, and with the sedation they use these days, you really don't know that you are sedated. Do you really want to take the risk that they will hit a difficult spot during the procedure and find yourself in horrible pain? Plus, why do you want to be awake while they are poking a hose around in your arse? Sedation is the best part of a colonoscopy, imo, plus the great meal you get afterwards!...in my house, we have a tradition of going out to eat after the test, at the restaurant of the "victims" choice. It's great!

Old 09-03-2016, 03:37 PM

402 posts, read 976,715 times
The prep is the worse part. The actual event is a breeze. sometimes literally. I watched mine on the tv screen.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Apparently I "woke up" during my first one, asked for my glasses and watched on the screen, then must of gone back out. Didn't remember any of it. Woke up after and asked a nurse why my glasses were on my face when I knew I had taken them off and that's what she told me.

I don't remember any particular feeling after. But after a 2.5 hour surgery a couple of years ago I couldn't believe how peppy I felt. I've had chronic insomnia all my life, very little broken sleep. I attribute my practically manic state to being under with propheral (however you spell) it.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Jaminhealth: so why aren't your supplements for arthritis and joint pain and degradation not working ? There are supplements for everything. I could just as easily say grape seed extract is elephant and hot chick repellent because you've never been acosted by either one. A possible, maybe, anecdotal effect of a supplement is no substitute for an easy, 100% proven procedure to detect, rule out, and prevent if detected early enough, a deadly form of cancer. Your posts are irrelevant. Even the OP recognizes the importance of the procedure, she just doesn't want to pay for anesthesia unless she really needs it. There are some valid point to that, but in this case, I don't agree. She THINKS she knows whats best for the procedure to be most effective with the least chance of trouble, but she is neither a Dr nor an expert in the field. While I strongly advocate being your own ....um..advocate, if you don't trust your Dr to make the best decision for you, then why do you go to him (or her)? You trust their decisions and experience or you don't. When my life is at stake, a few hundred bucks means absolutely nothing to me.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:52 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Jaminhealth: so why aren't your supplements for arthritis and joint pain and degradation not working ? There are supplements for everything. I could just as easily say grape seed extract is elephant and hot chick repellent because you've never been acosted by either one. A possible, maybe, anecdotal effect of a supplement is no substitute for an easy, 100% proven procedure to detect, rule out, and prevent if detected early enough, a deadly form of cancer. Your posts are irrelevant. Even the OP recognizes the importance of the procedure, she just doesn't want to pay for anesthesia unless she really needs it. There are some valid point to that, but in this case, I don't agree. She THINKS she knows whats best for the procedure to be most effective with the least chance of trouble, but she is neither a Dr nor an expert in the field. While I strongly advocate being your own ....um..advocate, if you don't trust your Dr to make the best decision for you, then why do you go to him (or her)? You trust their decisions and experience or you don't. When my life is at stake, a few hundred bucks means absolutely nothing to me.
Your first bolded phrase = my thoughts exactly. I'm not saying people shouldn't live/eat healthy (although I personally am far from a paragon of virtue ). It's just that sometimes - sh** happens - no matter how well people live/take care of themselves. Colon cancer is one of those sh** happens things. And - if we can "nip it in the bud" so to speak - why not?

As for the second bolded phrase - the costs of anesthesia - I had my first 2 colonoscopies pre-Medicare. And - although I realize that all private insurance policies are different - mine paid for the cost of IV sedation - so-called "twilight sleep" - administered by the doctor/nurses/etc. - as opposed to general anesthesia administered by an anesthesiologist. Don't know if there were any exceptions to that rule because I didn't explore them since IV sedation was fine by me. As for my 3rd and 4th colonoscopies - Medicare paid for the IV sedation. Again - don't know what the story is when it comes to general anesthesia administered by an anesthesiologist. I tend to think that general anesthesia is kind of overkill for most people when it comes to colonoscopy. But there might well be circumstances where it is indicated/appropriate. Best to discuss these things with your doctor. Robyn

Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:

I live with 60 yrs of joint degradation. Once OA sets in it's all management. The supps I take keep me going at 78 and I believe they do what they can do. I also have been told I have the Fibro stuff but don't know how true that is. A lot of joint damage from years of physical activities. The supps can do just so much. Nothing will give me back my young body.

I ended up in the ER with a stomach ulcer from a pharma drug for arthritis and that was in the 80's...why would I venture into the drug scene again.

You mention grape seed extract, well it's a great mitzva NOT to take drugs for allergies/sinus issues I had all my years prior to 1995. You mention elephant and hot chick repellent....confusing comment.

You make a lot of comments in your post, and this is about colonoscopies and I have chosen NOT to have them. And I'm doing fine in that part of my health.

And I don't trust MOST conventional MD's. I've had damage done over my years from drugs and a major surgery and saw some family members live with drug damage, it's called drug interactions and many many die annually from this. I live with a botched up hip replacement, nerve damage, shorter leg, IT band damage and advancing OA. Once the surgeon cuts our body, arthritis sets in.

Anything else you would like to call me on?

Old 09-05-2016, 05:59 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
...Even the OP recognizes the importance of the procedure, she just doesn't want to pay for anesthesia unless she really needs it. There are some valid point to that, but in this case, I don't agree. She THINKS she knows whats best for the procedure to be most effective with the least chance of trouble, but she is neither a Dr nor an expert in the field. While I strongly advocate being your own ....um..advocate, if you don't trust your Dr to make the best decision for you, then why do you go to him (or her)? You trust their decisions and experience or you don't. When my life is at stake, a few hundred bucks means absolutely nothing to me.
With all due respect, I never said I was an expert although I've read a lot of the original research from various medical journals online. And I believe it is everyone's choice on whether or not to be sedated. There is CERTAINLY no research saying the procedure is significantly more effective WITH sedation and there is SOME research saying it is more effective without. Do you honestly think there are no doctors willing to do this without sedation?

Of course many don't give a crap about how effective it is with or without sedation because they have decided purely on the basis of comfort. They can do whatever they want. My insurance won't pay for 100%, even if it is purely a screening procedure. As a responsible consumer I will choose NOT to spend money on something that does not improve the effectiveness of the procedure.

I'm not an expert, and I'm certainly not a crackpot. What I am is educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement