Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 02:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,506,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
OP Have fun!

Please report back and maybe let us see the video!
I'm not sure my procedures have been videoed. But my last gastroenterologist was an excellent photographer and gave me plenty of pictures . FWIW - I gave the pictures to my new gastroenterologist - and he thanked me for them. Said they were very useful. So - after you have a colonoscopy - get the report - the pathology report (if any) - and pictures (if any). For future use. Electronic medical records aren't perfected yet IMO and nothing like having a specific set of records to give to a doctor so he/she doesn't have to dig through a bunch of irrelevant stuff. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Torture??? This is exaggeration at its worst. I don't know who described the prep to you, but it IS no big deal. For heaven's sake, we are talking about preventing a very serious form of cancer. While you are "waiting for some high tech procedure" you could have polyps which are pre-cancerous turning malignant and advancing to a higher stage. Colon cancer is often without symptoms until it's too late to do anything about it, or until it metastasizes into cancer somewhere else in your body.

Let me see...a few hours of the trots and some dry mouth OR the potential of a slow and painful death after multiple invasive life-altering surgeries. Hmmmm... which will I choose??

If you get dry mouth in the 2 hours you must refrain from drinking immediately before the procedure, chew a piece of gum.
Couldn't agree more. BTW - that article about the "mini-cam" that I linked above says this:

The patient swallows the pill, which is approximately 1 ¼ inches long and ½ wide, and wears a recording device on a belt. As the pill makes its way slowly through the digestive tract, it takes video pictures which are wirelessly transmitted to the device. It takes up to 10 hours for the pill to complete its journey, during which time the patient must limit physical activity and avoid stooping or bending. The video is then uploaded to a computer, and a doctor later reviews the results. A bowel preparation is required for the procedure.

It might be a "high tech" way to do things. But it doesn't seem particularly easy or convenient. And the way I read the article - the technology is only approved for patients who can't complete a colonoscopy in the conventional way (for whatever reason). Probably because it isn't particularly easy or convenient (it probably isn't inexpensive either).

And anyone who thinks that colonoscopy today isn't high tech never had one 20-30 years ago. My husband had one in the 80's (long story). Before recent advances in fiber optics. When scopes were a lot less flexible/larger than they are today. He was very uncomfortable - even with anesthesia - way back then. He had his last (routine) colonoscopy last year. And the difference between now and back then is night and day. Today is pretty much a walk in the park compared to back then. Robyn

Old 08-30-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My mom lived to 91 and never had one. A doctor sent her a postcard when she was 86 telling her she "should" have a mammogram, which she never had either. I told her throw the card away mom, you are fine. Doctors think $$$$, sorry folks but it's true. But keep getting your tests, whatever works for you.
So what did your mother die of? My father is 98 - had colonoscopies/polyps removed - and is still alive. I am not sure what either case proves. I can tell you that dying at 91 is young for my father's side of the family . Robyn

Old 08-30-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I've heard colonoscopy is not useful after you turn 70 so I won't have one after that age.
The current age protocol isn't written in stone. Basically - one should have regular colonoscopies every 10 years. And - if you've always been "clean"/aren't at high risk (no family history etc.) - most doctors stop at age 75-80 or so. So that would mean 2-3 colonoscopies for most average people.

If you haven't turned up clean/are at high risk - your intervals may be shorter. But - still - most doctors will stop doing the procedure on almost everyone between the ages of 80 and 85. Because the risks of the procedure for very old people outweigh the possible benefits.

Note that I have never heard of age 70 as the cut-off age. 75 seems to be the minimum cut-off age for people who aren't at high risk who have had a couple of normal colonoscopies:

CDC - Colorectal Cancer Screening Guidelines

Robyn

Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I am 65 and the last colonoscopy I had was 10 years ago. It was no big deal but I doubt I will have any more. Reason is that the older I get, the less I want doctors hovering over me, telling me I need this test and that test. I really dislike the whole idea of having my body be managed by the health industry. I try to eat healthy food and live a healthy life style and hope for the best without doctors. In a way it makes me feel more human and not so much like some old car always going into the shop.
My first colonoscopy at 50 was clean. So was my colonoscopy at 60. The one I had at age 65 - what a mess. Numerous polyps. Some pre-cancerous. Like the ones that probably killed my mother when she was a little over 80. The colonoscopy I had last week was better - but not clean.

And let's face it. At a certain age - we *are* like old cars being taken into the shop . The only difference is - unlike old cars - it makes sense to spend some time and dollars and to inconvenience ourselves a little to keep us running. Unless you just want to be thrown on a junk heap like an old car. That isn't my preference.

BTW - eating healthy and hoping for the best usually doesn't work for many forms of cancer. My father was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year at age 97. A tumor clogged up his bile duct - and he got terrible jaundice. Which could well have been terminal in a matter of weeks/months. But he had some zippy high tech stent inserted that relieved the obstruction. So he is back to normal now. I guess. The doctors gave him 3-6 months - but it's been over a year now. Doctors can't always work miracles - but I would never count them out!

And today I was thinking about Gilda Radner - because Gene Wilder just died. What would a woman like her have given for an easy way to detect the ovarian cancer that killed her - a cancer which takes many women in their prime of life? And which has zero to do with eating healthy or unhealthy. We are blessed to have an easy way to prevent a lot of colon cancer (a fairly common cancer). Why shouldn't we take advantage of it? Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 08-30-2016 at 03:58 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 03:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
I've been fighting colon cancer for over 4 years (I'm 49 now). No family history, not overweight, nothing in diet that would alert a dr. People saying they'd rather die from this disease rather than getting screened are beyond ridiculous. I'm not talking about people over 75.

This is serious stuff people I know I'm a nameless face behind a screen name, but this AIN'T NO JOKE.

GET SCREENED.

And 2 words for people who need to get one I have two words:

- Prepopik (google it, you'll thank me later)
- Proprofol

Old 08-30-2016, 03:48 PM

2,277 posts, read 1,674,072 times
My mother had a colonoscopy at 90 as she had many polyps previously over 30 years of colonoscopies. That time one was so large (not malignant) she had to go back in 6 weeks for total removal, along with many others. She was very worried when she turned 93 as she knew she needed another one and was ready to go but unfortunately developed pneumonia before then so it was a no go. I was surprised the doc would do it but she was in good shape.

Her sister had one colonoscopy back when they had more primitive equipment and said never again. She developed dementia and then a total blockage with colon cancer at 83. They did operate (requested by husband) and it was a total nightmare before her death.

Colonoscopies are not fun but it is one day of unpleasantness out of your life every so many years. Every time I go in (#4 coming up) I feel my grandparents are smiling down on me. They died at age 47 and 52 of colon cancer so I am grateful it is preventable now. I can handle some discomfort for the sake of my family.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:14 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I've been fighting colon cancer for over 4 years (I'm 49 now). No family history, not overweight, nothing in diet that would alert a dr. People saying they'd rather die from this disease rather than getting screened are beyond ridiculous. I'm not talking about people over 75.

This is serious stuff people I know I'm a nameless face behind a screen name, but this AIN'T NO JOKE.

GET SCREENED.

And 2 words for people who need to get one I have two words:

- Prepopik (google it, you'll thank me later)
- Proprofol
I had one done last year at age 41 due to anemia.. Clean.. One polyp that was no problem was removed. I woke up towards the end of the procedure and was just watching quietly..

My brother wound up going to the hospital a couple of months ago where a complete blockage was discovered.. Age 46, colon cancer.. Stage 2 or 3 (found in 6 lymph nodes, and the step up is if it's in more than 4 I think, so..).. He's currently in session 4 of 10 or 12 rounds of chemo after having part of the colon removed.

The good news on that is that, for me I suppose, is that now since i'm now high-risk due to him having cancer, the insurance company should cover my next one 100%. I basically had to pay out of pocket for the first one.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,702,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I had one done last year at age 41 due to anemia.. Clean.. One polyp that was no problem was removed. I woke up towards the end of the procedure and was just watching quietly..

My brother wound up going to the hospital a couple of months ago where a complete blockage was discovered.. Age 46, colon cancer.. Stage 2 or 3 (found in 6 lymph nodes, and the step up is if it's in more than 4 I think, so..).. He's currently in session 4 of 10 or 12 rounds of chemo after having part of the colon removed.

The good news on that is that, for me I suppose, is that now since i'm now high-risk due to him having cancer, the insurance company should cover my next one 100%. I basically had to pay out of pocket for the first one.
My best wishes to your brother. He's probably on folfox - it's 12 doses but the "Ox" in folfox is oxalyplatin - it's hard to get 12 doses in due to neuropathy. I got 9 or 10 then was taken off but the rest of the medication I took for 12 (that was my 1st 12 round session, I'm on my 3rd and this is for life).

Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So what did your mother die of? My father is 98 - had colonoscopies/polyps removed - and is still alive. I am not sure what either case proves. I can tell you that dying at 91 is young for my father's side of the family . Robyn
Both my parents died of forms of cancer, no treatments chosen, they were both ready to leave this place. Mom fought a little harder but dad was so ready. I'm not one for prolonging life into the 90's necessarily, I've done a lot and right now with the advancing OA I'm pretty much having trouble getting around. I'm 78 and would like to have that "pill" at my disposal when I WANT TO GO. Not on pharma's terms. Don't want them to drug and prop me up.

A friend who is 95 soon just went thru some tests and the outcome was finding some cancer. She will not do all the pharma drugs, etc.

Someone said years ago, maybe it was my mother, if one disease doesn't get you, cancer will.

I'm banking on my grape seed extract as when I started on it 21 yrs ago, we were told it MAY prevent cancer. Many cancer research places now are doing research with grape seed ex and some cancers.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-30-2016 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement