Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,503,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
With all due respect, I never said I was an expert although I've read a lot of the original research from various medical journals online. And I believe it is everyone's choice on whether or not to be sedated. There is CERTAINLY no research saying the procedure is significantly more effective WITH sedation and there is SOME research saying it is more effective without. Do you honestly think there are no doctors willing to do this without sedation?

Of course many don't give a crap about how effective it is with or without sedation because they have decided purely on the basis of comfort. They can do whatever they want. My insurance won't pay for 100%, even if it is purely a screening procedure. As a responsible consumer I will choose NOT to spend money on something that does not improve the effectiveness of the procedure.

I'm not an expert, and I'm certainly not a crackpot. What I am is educated.
Are you sure your insurance company won't pay for IV sedation? Pre-Medicare - my husband and I had big deductibles and paid for colonoscopies pretty much out of pocket. And IV sedation was included in the cost of the procedure. Didn't have to pay extra. Are you sure that isn't true in your case? I would be surprised if it isn't. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,084,112 times
I never said you were a crackpot, nor did I say you said you were an expert. There are plenty of superb Drs that will do it with or without sedation, mine included. When he says that as long as you have no problem with sedation, it is far better to have it...no, I don't question it! Reading medical journals does NOT make you educated, it makes you informed. Huge difference. My Dr has done THOUSANDS of colonoscopies...but excuse me...you read a MEDICAL JOURNAL so your opinion is worth as much as his. I hope the intentional sarcasm was apparant. I never advocate blindly following anyone, but there comes a time when there REALLY are experts, that REALLY know what they are talking about, and its not about Big Pharma or Big Insurance..and you have to trust your expert. In this case, it is SUCH a small potato decision, if being a "responsible consumer" is more important to you than your comfort or the Drs opinion that you supposedly trust, then why ask the question in the first place? You made your mind up before you posted!

Last edited by Perryinva; 09-05-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 PM

Jaminhealth: your posts seem to express that 78 is really old. Its not. My father and all his friends and girlfriends are 78 or older. It ain't young. But its not deaths door for a mostly healthy person. I do take supplements and I believe they help and have a place in the American diet because our average food is so stripped of real nutrients and micro minerals, to increase yields (and yes, profits). They are a mostly cheap suspender and belts option. Why not. But in a million years, I'd never say they are a substitute for real medical care or disease early detection. That is plain ignorant. And to judge the entire medical profession because of a reaction you had to a drug 30 odd years ago??? Really? There's nothing I can say to that that won't get me another slap by The Moderators!

Old 09-05-2016, 09:02 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Jaminhealth: your posts seem to express that 78 is really old. Its not. My father and all his friends and girlfriends are 78 or older. It ain't young. But its not deaths door for a mostly healthy person. I do take supplements and I believe they help and have a place in the American diet because our average food is so stripped of real nutrients and micro minerals, to increase yields (and yes, profits). They are a mostly cheap suspender and belts option. Why not. But in a million years, I'd never say they are a substitute for real medical care or disease early detection. That is plain ignorant. And to judge the entire medical profession because of a reaction you had to a drug 30 odd years ago??? Really? There's nothing I can say to that that won't get me another slap by The Moderators!

You can choose your health care and I'll choose mine as "WE" do...Right? I'm not a fan of pharma plain and simple. An emergency, yes, I guess so. But they can't tell me a thing about management and prevention. The magazine Prevention came out many yrs ago..do you know it?

As far as age, right now it's the oldest I've ever been. My mind and health are good, body is beat up from years of physical activities and the hip mess (yes I mentioned it again). I live with it 24/7.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
With all due respect, I never said I was an expert although I've read a lot of the original research from various medical journals online. And I believe it is everyone's choice on whether or not to be sedated. There is CERTAINLY no research saying the procedure is significantly more effective WITH sedation and there is SOME research saying it is more effective without. Do you honestly think there are no doctors willing to do this without sedation?

Of course many don't give a crap about how effective it is with or without sedation because they have decided purely on the basis of comfort. They can do whatever they want. My insurance won't pay for 100%, even if it is purely a screening procedure. As a responsible consumer I will choose NOT to spend money on something that does not improve the effectiveness of the procedure.

I'm not an expert, and I'm certainly not a crackpot. What I am is educated.
At age 53 (IIRC) - you probably have an ACA-compliant policy. The ACA mandates that anesthesia be covered 100% as part of a routine screening colonoscopy:

Anesthesia Covered as Part of Screening Colonoscopy

This clarification of the colonoscopy mandate came out in 2015. Perhaps the information you got is out of date. In any event - whatever your decision is - it shouldn't be based on what you'll pay for anesthesia (because you shouldn't be paying anything for it). Robyn

Old 09-06-2016, 06:22 AM

Yes, Prevention has been around forever. Read it many times. Never been that impressed. (Of course, I do have to point out that a colonoscopy is exactly that...Prevention).. My Drs and many, and I dare say most, preach prevention and health before all else. I am sincerely sorry you have been suffering for so long because of poor medical treatments.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
You can choose your health care and I'll choose mine as "WE" do...Right? I'm not a fan of pharma plain and simple. An emergency, yes, I guess so. But they can't tell me a thing about management and prevention. The magazine Prevention came out many yrs ago..do you know it?

As far as age, right now it's the oldest I've ever been. My mind and health are good, body is beat up from years of physical activities and the hip mess (yes I mentioned it again). I live with it 24/7.
Prevention is making billions of dollars for those in the medical profession. It's called repeat customers coming back for this and that test, blood work, vaccinations, etc. Just go look at the list of Medicare Prevention testing.

All this Wellness and Prevention finally drove me over the top when the school district I worked for self insured and established their Wellness Program. Why? Save money they said! With all this testing and hiring "Health Coaches"? They said too few employees were getting their mammograms and colonoscopies, even when their insurance paid for the full cost. Maybe because they didn't want them even for free? If carrots don't work, use a stick. Your premiums were increased for non-compliance with "My Personal Health Plan" written up by these Health Coaches, not even your own doctor. It was so bad, and I got so many nasty emails about non-compliance, that I quit.

At the very least Medicare leaves you alone if you are in non-compliance with their FREE tests and vaccinations. Your premiums don't go up if you pass on a colonoscopy. It should be a choice for each individual. I choose non-compliance.

Drugs and Big Pharms is another subject entirely.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I never said you were a crackpot, nor did I say you said you were an expert. There are plenty of superb Drs that will do it with or without sedation, mine included. When he says that as long as you have no problem with sedation, it is far better to have it...no, I don't question it! Reading medical journals does NOT make you educated, it makes you informed. Huge difference. My Dr has done THOUSANDS of colonoscopies...but excuse me...you read a MEDICAL JOURNAL so your opinion is worth as much as his. I hope the intentional sarcasm was apparant. I never advocate blindly following anyone, but there comes a time when there REALLY are experts, that REALLY know what they are talking about, and its not about Big Pharma or Big Insurance..and you have to trust your expert. In this case, it is SUCH a small potato decision, if being a "responsible consumer" is more important to you than your comfort or the Drs opinion that you supposedly trust, then why ask the question in the first place? You made your mind up before you posted!
If you want to quibble over the meaning of "educated" versus "informed" please do so - but it does not help your argument. Obviously unless I'm an MD and specialize in colonoscopies I have no say in my own health.

I don't get you AT ALL. How am I going against a doctor by deciding if I do or don't want sedation? Doctors ADVISE patients all the time and the patient decides. On my 50th birthday I was advised to get a colonoscopy...I said I'll wait a bit. Did that doctor drop me or refuse to see me after that because I 'defied" her? I've never had the opportunity to talk to whoever would actually be doing the procedure. Do most people? It's all "subbed" out.

When you go to the dentist you're often offered the OPTION of nitrous oxide. Can you refuse it? WHY WOULD YOU EVER REFUSE SOMETHING THAT COULD MAKE YOU MORE COMFORTABLE? How is this any different?

Old 09-06-2016, 12:40 PM

You are exaggerating my comments. I clearly said that I am an advocate in being responsible for ones own health. I don't know where you go for medical procedures, but myself and my wife ALWAYS have spoken with the very Dr that does the procedure. Whether Lasik, colonoscopies, oral surgury..what ever. THAT is just one of the things about what I mean about being an advocate. If you go to a Dr, and don't know exactly who is doing what to you..the fault is yours. You are in the drivers seat. I really don't give a hoot whether you ever get one or not, with or without sedation. No skin off my a$$. Of course a Dr advises. They can't command and force you to do anything. Pointless point. If your Dr said "go either way", then go the painful way and save (maybe) a few bucks. Mine are 100% free with sedation, all the time. And if I had to pay for sedation as extra, as I've had to for ofher stuff, I would. My choice.

I must, however, apologize, as I had no reason to even post in this thread. You clearly asked for input from people that had done the procedure without sedation. Nothing else. I erroneously chimed in with the others on the sedation vs no sedation, which is not what you asked. You have already chosen no sedation. My error.

Last edited by Perryinva; 09-06-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If you want to quibble over the meaning of "educated" versus "informed" please do so - but it does not help your argument. Obviously unless I'm an MD and specialize in colonoscopies I have no say in my own health.

I don't get you AT ALL. How am I going against a doctor by deciding if I do or don't want sedation? Doctors ADVISE patients all the time and the patient decides. On my 50th birthday I was advised to get a colonoscopy...I said I'll wait a bit. Did that doctor drop me or refuse to see me after that because I 'defied" her? I've never had the opportunity to talk to whoever would actually be doing the procedure. Do most people? It's all "subbed" out.

When you go to the dentist you're often offered the OPTION of nitrous oxide. Can you refuse it? WHY WOULD YOU EVER REFUSE SOMETHING THAT COULD MAKE YOU MORE COMFORTABLE? How is this any different?
I have (don't know about most people). When I first moved to this area about 20 years ago - I needed a GI doc. One who did colonoscopies - but would follow me for a couple of other things as well. I interviewed 2 doctors. Both did colonoscopies. The first wouldn't follow me for the other things - the second would. So I picked the second (I liked both doctors - so that wasn't a factor - sometimes you just don't have the right "chemistry" with a doctor). I stayed with that GI doc for 20 years - until he retired last year. I needed a new GI doc. I get most of my medical care at Mayo JAX these days - and asked my Mayo PCP for a Mayo recommendation. She recommended Dr. X and I met with him. We were on the same page (there were issues of timing - 3 years or 5 - sedation - and perhaps one or two others) - and he did my colonoscopy. If I ever need any GI stuff my PCP can't handle (she can handle most of it these days) - I'll go back to that GI doc.

I don't know if this is the norm or not. On my part - I insist on meeting doctors/the head of a medical team before they do procedures or surgery on me. There may be situations in which that's a silly/ridiculous request - but I haven't run across a situation like that to date. Note that my pre-Medicare insurance and my Medicare covered these visits. Although I had to pay out of pocket for the first 2 visits (I had a very large insurance deductible - $10k/year - back then).

Have you asked to set up an appointment to meet the doctor who will be performing your colonoscopy? And do you only have one choice? If you haven't set up an appointment - why don't you do that? Talk with the doctor about sedation and any other issues that are of concern to you. I honestly don't have a clue what your doctor might say about sedation. I would listen to my doctor more than I'd listen to any stranger on an anonymous chat board.

FWIW - I think I've only had nitrous oxide once - to relieve anxiety at the end of a long series of dental procedures (implants). When I became "allergic" to big long needles. It was as fun as anything can be when you're dealing with big long needles and the like. But I had IV "twilight sleep" - the same thing I've used during my colonoscopies - several times before that for dental procedures. And it was fine. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement