Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 01:09 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,938,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Absolutely. There are Meetup groups for every conceivable interest and activity now. Just "do you."
GAH How to word this. I do not want to connect with people face to face. I know more weirdness on my part. I was just hoping for an online group to share fun ideas with and how we keep our single alone lives happy. I looked into meet up groups and nothing shows up for me within 100 miles or more. That is too far for me to drive. I live in the middle of nowhere. View up my road cut taken by a friend from her house up on the hill across the valley from me.I do love it here . I am blessed to be able to live here.
Attached Thumbnails
So many "Elder Orphans" in our society-10-28-17-jodis-photo.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 01:18 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,266,146 times
I see. Well, there's always City Data! Sorry this particular thread took such a depressing turn (I know what you mean)...

Old 11-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I see. Well, there's always City Data! Sorry this particular thread took such a depressing turn (I know what you mean)...

I think you are right. I just need to find the categories here on CD that are of interest to me and stick with them.Forget about being an EO. I do love CD. Been here a long time.

Thanks again.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:02 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,549,593 times
Actually I’ve been encouraged by this thread. Although there are those with unhappy stories, I am glad to be able to find a few others who like me are alone but not lonely and are living their lives contentedly. That’s what I’ve gotten out of this thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:41 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,338,631 times
Quote:
I think you'll find that people in MOST age groups can't wrap their minds around someone being perfectly happy single and living alone. Good luck with your search; sounds like you've got your stuff together!
I know sometime that I'll need more help, and am still reeling with the sudden death of my sister in law, younger than me. She moved here after I did. Right now just what she died of is unknown but she had both depression and severe illness. But her dad is adopted family for me, and he too is ill, and on oxygen, and really means it when he says he doesn't know how long.

When I lost my parents, I did feel very alone. But my married family welcomed me, and after our seperation and his death I did not feel alone. But my father in law's ill and has grown to be very close to me, and it scares me that he honestly doesn't think he'll last another year, on oxygen, and with growing problems. He isn't my dad, but feels like one.

I've been putting serious thought into plans of late. I moved here to a small town with lower costs, my house inexpensive and small and just what I wanted. I still feel that way about my house, but never really have gotten to know anyone. But its MY space. It's not greatly expensive. I don't need help except for transportation. But I wonder if down the line I'd like a place where I had a home space which I could call mine, but there would be other people around. Thing is, mostly I'm perfectly happy without them, and my pets have lots of love.

Having lived alone, I just don't see ever wanting to have roomates, even in 'apartments', or to have someone come by and 'manage' my house. I'm content with most of it. All I need is a chance to get out but only if I decide I want to. But if something happens, I have my father in law to ask for help. It scares me to have nobody. And I read about the senior living places, and I see the lure. But if your're someone who likes alone and can't stand people around you all the time, I wonder.

When I was on diasbility, we were told we needed to 'socialize'. We were to go to this place where they had food and books and people would go to see people. I took my crocheting, took over a small couch in a side room, had lunch and packed up and went home. The people who I really relate to I could talk all night. But just to 'talk' when neither has anything interesting to say to the other, and its apparent quickly, I had better uses of my bus time.

Right now, looking towards the future, I'd like my home to stay the same, or be closer to my son. We've talked about a mother in law space for me, maybe a big tiny house which I like the idea of. I need family. But I also need seperate, defined space which is respected. So many people who aren't loners can't imagine how or why anyone likes and *needs* aloneness, and to choose when not to be. One of the things which distresses me most is the idea of a retirement living area where it might not be respected.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Wow I am thinking you might be right. Guess I am the odd one out. Too bad really. I will keep looking and hoping. Maybe putting my focus more to groups of like interests instead of just EO or widows. Just seems there would be better understanding in groups where we face the same living arrangements or close.

Thank you.
I've never joined Facebook, or other such groups, but if there is one where someone would understand that 'later' one knows they may need support, but absolutely doesn't want something which means you are an identical person to the rest and want people contact only when you want people contact.

Been there with a few 'county programs' when on disability, but hated all the 'help' and quit.

If you find one, I'd love to meet them too.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,620,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

So many people who aren't loners can't imagine how or why anyone likes and *needs* aloneness, and to choose when not to be.
There are plenty of people who want to live alone and not share a living space, unless it is with a lover, romantic partner, or spouse.

You are not alone in wanting and needing to live alone. (or for you, having alone time when possibly living with or on same property with your adult son & his family in the future)

Living alone at all ages is more numerous that ever before. Last statistic I saw was that in the overall population of all ages, 25 percent live alone. It's probably more numerous in the oldest ages, but it is numerous among those in the 20's, 30's, 40's age groups going forward. And there are more people living alone in middle age than ever before.

I don't think one needs to be termed a 'loner' if one does not want a roommate or multiple roommates in one's apartment or home, or a group home, or the various senior facilities with apartments but also with shared spaces if desired, or more forced shared spaces in various dwellings, or living with relatives if not necessary.

Many people, like myself, would want to live with another person only if that person is a lover, romantic partner, or spouse.

Last edited by matisse12; 11-07-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I live in a small town where the cultural base and politics are from some other place than where I'm from, and so I avoid it. I like the peace and quiet, but don't have any friends but some family who's passed recently. Me and most people here come from a different planet, but I keep things polite and it works.

But I want people like me, fans who feel like science fiction fandom is our real world. Where out outlook is different. They exist here, even have a convention each year I went to one and loved it. But no transportation to OKC. And I really want to go to the con to meet like people and have fun, and dig out my hall costumes.

I'd love the picture, too. I'm not quite as rural, but certainly not city and I love that too.

Anyone on here a part of science fiction fandom and know any sites where I could meet some like minds online? Traveling is a very iffy thing currently, unfortunitaly.

I haven't but do plan to set up a page on facebook and go looking.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Actually I’ve been encouraged by this thread. Although there are those with unhappy stories, I am glad to be able to find a few others who like me are alone but not lonely and are living their lives contentedly. That’s what I’ve gotten out of this thread
I agree. It encourages me to go looking for others who like what I like and would like to share but don't require the hastle of 'going out'. One of my best friends, one I called when really sad things have happened, and she calls me if she needs to talk is someone I met once. But we've stayed very good friends for the years since and when either needs a ear to listen we've talked to one or both phones ran out of juice.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I did not mean this thread was all sad and whining. More so i was just hoping for a group to chat with. Like what a person is doing in their day and so on. I do not really have advice for EO as I am so new to it myself. On the FB group it has become mostly complainers. I was looking more for happy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement