Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 07:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,442,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I thought 'elder orphans' were mostly defined in the first category below:

An elder orphan is someone without a spouse or partner, and without children, and without living relatives of significance with whom they interact or live nearby and/or without any living relatives.

Some people without a spouse and whose children are not active in their life have wanted to be included in the definition. (but they might have living relatives in their life)

Occasionally a married couple whose children are not active in their lives have wanted to be included in the definition. But I think they maybe have not conceived of no spouse, no children, no relatives. Having a spouse or partner makes them completely different from first category above.
Obviously there is a continuum. And anyone on the farthest reaches is resentful of those with even a modicum more support than what they have.

Perhaps the best way is some type of "graded" forum of different sections:
"True Elder Orphans"
"Orphans with Partner but no kids"
"Orphans with Spouse but no kids"
"Orphans with no Partner/Spouse but kids they aren't close to"
...etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 09:55 PM

8,285 posts, read 8,696,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Obviously there is a continuum. And anyone on the farthest reaches is resentful of those with even a modicum more support than what they have.

Perhaps the best way is some type of "graded" forum of different sections:
"True Elder Orphans"
"Orphans with Partner but no kids"
"Orphans with Spouse but no kids"
"Orphans with no Partner/Spouse but kids they aren't close to"
...etc.
Why can't people accept what an elder orphan is? No partner, spouse, or kids. Why have a graded forum? They can go to one for their situation. People with no kids, people with kids far away, married people no kids. Go to those forums instead of ruining one for elder orphans.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,505,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why can't people accept what an elder orphan is? No partner, spouse, or kids. Why have a graded forum? They can go to one for their situation. People with no kids, people with kids far away, married people no kids. Go to those forums instead of ruining one for elder orphans.
I just posted on another thread in this forum that I am about to leave the FB "Elder Orphans" group because so many are posting there who do not fit this description. We are not supposed to post pictures of our pets there but so far the administrator has allowed people to post pictures of their families and friends who are accessible to them.

This group is morphing into just another general interest group for older people.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:55 AM

22,107 posts, read 13,123,011 times
Quote:
I agree. I think some seek to lord it over the less fortunate or gloat about what they have. We all know people like that, don't we?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:08 AM

496 posts, read 554,483 times
In the context of this and other "elder orphan" threads, it is interesting to reflect on some recent threads in Retirement and also Relationships forums, where residents of age-restricted low-income housing have reported issues with unfriendly or demanding neighbors, and feeling alone and isolated.

It seems to me that many of these residents are the real-life "Old, poor, and alone" people for whom the term "elder orphan" was created.

If the elder-orphan FB page is so popular, then I start to wonder why supportive, caring elder-orphan communities haven't already sprung up in these residential buildings where the orphans are living side by side.

Virtual communities are fine and dandy, but what about real life? What would get in the way of creating such a community in a residential building?

Old 10-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
In the context of this and other "elder orphan" threads, it is interesting to reflect on some recent threads in Retirement and also Relationships forums, where residents of age-restricted low-income housing have reported issues with unfriendly or demanding neighbors, and feeling alone and isolated.

It seems to me that many of these residents are the real-life "Old, poor, and alone" people for whom the term "elder orphan" was created.

If the elder-orphan FB page is so popular, then I start to wonder why supportive, caring elder-orphan communities haven't already sprung up in these residential buildings where the orphans are living side by side.

Virtual communities are fine and dandy, but what about real life? What would get in the way of creating such a community in a residential building?
It could be because it is a low income building. I've seen the same threads. I never see similar threads for active adult communities, at least the larger ones, where many have organizations in place to serve the ones that need help.

Do the people in low income buildings have the ability, money, and skills to start the things that are needed?

Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,442,567 times
Quote:
Ideally, I agree. But if you make it easy for the interloping orphan wannabes (and isn't that just sad?!) to get into their "correct" forum then things might be a bit tidier and not so irritating.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
As for the Elder Orphans facebook page.....a lot of the people (women) on there are married and have kids. If you ask they why they are there its because they "feel" like orphans or think they will be more or less orphans in the future and want to know how to handle it. But because what seems like the preponderance of people aren't actually orphans the whole thing is disfunctional and argumentative and there are no ideas or support. I can't figure out if these familied women just have some sort of entitlement issue, want to lord their familied status over the real orphans or if this is some sad commentary on how marriage and kids don't actually mean anything in terms of feeling alone.

Someone called this "humble-bragging." Very aptly put.

Anyway, I quit, seemed useless. Whoever started that page used the moniker Elder Orphans (probably from the article) and then allowed any and all join. Sort of like starting a page titled "Motorcycle club" and letting people with bicycles, cars and skateboards join.
You have it exactly right.

Carol, the creator of the group could put limitations on membership but instead she seems to defend just about anyone who wants to join. It's become more of just a group of "Elders" rather than "Elder Orphans."

It's kind of aggravating that while she has said she doesn't want people "cluttering up" the pages with pictures of pets that are very important to many elder orphans, she is open to any and all people who don't fit the definition of "Elder Orphans" joining up and posting about their friends and families.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It could be because it is a low income building. I've seen the same threads. I never see similar threads for active adult communities, at least the larger ones, where many have organizations in place to serve the ones that need help.

Do the people in low income buildings have the ability, money, and skills to start the things that are needed?
There are activities galore in my low-income building that enable people to meet on common grounds. I am not into bingo and cards or parties offered but I have joined the acting and writers' groups where I have met some great people. No real friends yet like the ones I left behind in my former city but I have the opportunity to find some eventually. Meantime I don't have to be alone if I don't want to.

Some of the opportunities, BTW, were created not by the Senior Center in the building or the management of the apartment complex but rather by the tenants themselves. As an example one woman gathered together a group of people who volunteer to distribute pet food to those who run short from time to time with their budget. Her group also pet-sits for people who go on vacation or find themselves needing someone to take care of their pets as a result of an unexpected hospitalization.

We have people here from high school graduates to Masters Degrees. Being low-income does not mean lack of ability or skills.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
There are activities galore in my low-income building that enable people to meet on common grounds. I am not into bingo and cards or parties offered but I have joined the acting and writers' groups where I have met some great people. No real friends yet like the ones I left behind in my former city but I have the opportunity to find some eventually. Meantime I don't have to be alone if I don't want to.

Some of the opportunities, BTW, were created not by the Senior Center in the building or the management of the apartment complex but rather by the tenants themselves. As an example one woman gathered together a group of people who volunteer to distribute pet food to those who run short from time to time with their budget. Her group also pet-sits for people who go on vacation or find themselves needing someone to take care of their pets as a result of an unexpected hospitalization.

We have people here from high school graduates to Masters Degrees. Being low-income does not mean lack of ability or skills.
I meant the residents starting the programs such as yours did but I guess it did not come out that way. The pet group sounds like a great idea and I am sure there is a need for it.

From other posts about income based housing you sound like an exception in that people are helping others and get along with each other. Yours is the first post I recall that wasn't a complaint about income based housing and the actions of the people living there.

I think you are also an exception in education levels of the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement