Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 02:48 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Hmmmm, wasn't it $10K and weren't you getting a smartphone to sell this stuff?
I recall it being 10k as well. Have you bought more inventory, freemkt? Or perhaps existing inventory appreciated?

He can't have a smartphone because his room is small. There is simply no space for a smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 02:57 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It can be exasperating (ex + aspirating) when people casually toss out easy solutions that aren't feasible to poor people. It's not good to be exasperated.
Being poor is not a state, it is a choice. It is not a condition, it is the result of taking certain actions and not taking other actions. There is no reason to be poor. Being rich requires some luck and talent, but being solvent and functional is within the reach of nearly all people. Except those that make bad choices, like doing things out of order, not choosing to educate themselves, not looking ahead, not projecting basic realities for the future, drinking booze, making babies without marriage and financial stability, smoking dope and spending years "hanging out" instead of "doing things" that have a tangible payoff, watching TV instead of working out, etc etc etc. Choices. Being poor is a direct result of bad choices.

It is really all up to you. For example you can go to a library and sell all your stuff on e-bay in about 60 minutes, and all your stuff could be gone in 10 days, with all the money in your Paypal account.

We really need to establish a grade school curriculum entitled: "The Logic of Life: How to Move From Point A to Point B", where kids are taught the Law of Causality and the Law of Identity and how they apply to whether or not you will succeed. The problem for so many in society is a basic lack of philosophy - how to think and apply thought to the goal of living well. We don't teach it, and that is why we have so many people who are lost.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I recall it being 10k as well. Have you bought more inventory, freemkt? Or perhaps existing inventory appreciated?

He can't have a smartphone because his room is small. There is simply no space for a smartphone.

Nope same inventory, just used the lower bound of my $10k - $15k estimate. Auction prices are good lately, and I see $10k easily if not $15k or even $20k.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Being poor is not a state, it is a choice. It is not a condition, it is the result of taking certain actions and not taking other actions. There is no reason to be poor. Being rich requires some luck and talent, but being solvent and functional is within the reach of nearly all people. Except those that make bad choices, like doing things out of order, not choosing to educate themselves, not looking ahead, not projecting basic realities for the future, drinking booze, making babies without marriage and financial stability, smoking dope and spending years "hanging out" instead of "doing things" that have a tangible payoff, watching TV instead of working out, etc etc etc. Choices. Being poor is a direct result of bad choices.

It is really all up to you. For example you can go to a library and sell all your stuff on e-bay in about 60 minutes, and all your stuff could be gone in 10 days, with all the money in your Paypal account.

We really need to establish a grade school curriculum entitled: "The Logic of Life: How to Move From Point A to Point B", where kids are taught the Law of Causality and the Law of Identity and how they apply to whether or not you will succeed. The problem for so many in society is a basic lack of philosophy - how to think and apply thought to the goal of living well. We don't teach it, and that is why we have so many people who are lost.

Being rich requires either luck (e.g. trust fund or inheritance) or one or more profitable skills. I have no job skills and the one skill I have I cannot use where I live because of my impaired use as a renter. I've tried to sell on ebay but their software does not accept listings without at least one uploaded image. And people won't pay more than a pittance without pictures. And I certainly cannot list 5,000 items in 60 minutes unless I'm willing to accept a lowball price like maybe $1,000.

There ARE dealers who will gladly come and take away everything for $1,000 and then sell it for $15,000 - which isn't what I had in mind.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Nope same inventory, just used the lower bound of my $10k - $15k estimate. Auction prices are good lately, and I see $10k easily if not $15k or even $20k.
Cool! So that smartphone you bought will pay for itself even quicker?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Is that what you find exasperating? Others find it exasperating that no matter how many times it is pointed out to you that your choices are yours, you cannot seem to grasp this concept.

When did I choose to impair my internet access?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
When did I choose to impair my internet access?
When you won't buy a smartphone and sell your collection. That's when.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Sadly, advice wasted on a guy with 27000+ posts of woe.

Old 10-25-2016, 03:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
I am one of those who tried to offer advice since I used to live in his city and suffered the same fate of not being able to afford living there after the COL went through the roof.

I solved the problem by moving to a city that was affordable for me. He can do the same but I think he is just asking for others to support him.

When someone chooses to live in a trendy, expensive city they can't afford, they have no business expecting all kinds of government programs and/or rental property owners to supply them with a wonderful apartment and means to live as well as those who can afford the cost.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Not wasted. I often post with no expectation at all that the poster to whom I respond will read, or even care, about what I post. But other people read this stuff and may learn something from seeing the error in a posters methodology, psychology, or philosophy. We are all here to teach and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement