Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 12:04 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Las Cruces and Los Alamos are very nice, active retirement communities with plenty of medical services. Each are within reach of ABQ if a specific need arises, but 98% can be handled locally.
A couple of my co-workers in Albuquerque go to Phoenix for treatment of rare, neurological conditions. And those with good medical coverage and financial resources go to Arizona or MD Anderson in Houston for leukemia or lymphoma requiring a bone marrow transplant or other obscure cancers. But most medical services are available locally and we have a good trauma center for burns, etc. There is talk of shortages of doctors but looking at the Sperling data, Albuquerque has more doctors per capita than Greenville, SC. Crime and population is similar although Greenville is growing and is probably a better place for a career or if you are interested in house appreciation. But for climate, quality of life, a live and let live libertarian philosophy, and freedom to be non-religious, I would choose Albuquerque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:50 AM

483 posts, read 666,065 times
Keep in mind, New Mexico taxes Social Security. That was one consideration not to move there when we decided to move to Arizona.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:08 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,530,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Keep in mind, New Mexico taxes Social Security. That was one consideration not to move there when we decided to move to Arizona.
I mentioned this to someone that lives in NM. He is almost 70 and he told me he doesn't make enough to pay taxes. He lives in Senior Housing So maybe its taxed if retirement income reaches a certain figure. Or exemptions cancel out owing any taxes. I find it very odd a state, would even consider taxing SS Retirement. That's rather cruel especially a lower income person.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:15 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
We are currently in Houston and searching for mountains too. We have finally decided on NW Arkansas for several reasons. The cost of living is MUCH better than other places we have looked into (Eastern Tennessee, West North Carolina, New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho, Wyoming, and a few more). Some places may have been right on the price points, but very far from the grandkids back in Houston. So, we are Arkansas bound come June... Good luck on your search.
We live in north TX and are in the process of moving to NW Arkansas, will close on our new house there in about 3 weeks. For awhile we'll keep our home here in TX and will travel back-and-forth. By midsummer, we should be 100% settled in AR.

We wanted more moderate summer temps, 4 seasons but not overly-harsh winters, a walkable university city, plentiful cultural and outdoor activities, access to decent healthcare, activities and amenities for seniors, friendly and welcoming people, reasonable housing costs, within a day's drive from N TX extended family.
Fayetteville checks all those boxes and more.

Downsides are state income tax, 2 hrs to the nearest Costco, and higher grocery and wine prices. We can deal.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Las Cruces and Los Alamos are very nice, active retirement communities with plenty of medical services. Each are within reach of ABQ if a specific need arises, but 98% can be handled locally.
Las Cruces is is a long haul to Albuquerque but is next door to El Paso. LC does offer a lot for retirees.
Los Alamos is a small town and not retirement-friendly at all.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,948,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I mentioned this to someone that lives in NM. He is almost 70 and he told me he doesn't make enough to pay taxes. He lives in Senior Housing So maybe its taxed if retirement income reaches a certain figure. Or exemptions cancel out owing any taxes. I find it very odd a state, would even consider taxing SS Retirement. That's rather cruel especially a lower income person.
Here's a list I found of the states that tax social security:

13 States That Tax Social Security Income -- The Motley Fool

Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,672,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
So the lessons which we learned were that we have to find a place which is more acceptance of transplants, and suitable not only to our lifestyle but also more fitting to thinking/feeling on social, political and religious matters. Our new living environment has to meet not only the practical but also the emotional, mental and intellectual needs of both of us.
You have very valid points. Too many people retire to a place either for climate and/or COL and find themselves lonely without family or friends and totally bored. Although we retired upstate NY we have spent the last 10 winters in FL and this will be our last. The state may not have a state income tax, but the amount of construction, crime and traffic increases do not make it a desirable place for us any longer.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:54 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
So you picked the state where some license plates are over a thousand dollars a year.

With few exceptions they get you one way or the other. Arizona has no inheritance tax, low property tax, but some cities have very high sales tax.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 PM

329 posts, read 471,258 times
We will be retiring this summer of 2017 ♥
At first we were sure we would be going to Oregon.. However both my husbands kids are having their first baby and moving back by Seattle where they grew up .. ( they were in Oregon)
Don't want to live near Seattle since it is way to expensive and my husband said that would just be to long of a gray winter. So we are still deciding.. But we came upon researching ID.. always listed high on best place to retire list.. It makes the most sense. so we are looking this summer at CDA area.. since it seems the easiest to get to Seattle too .
I am flying to CDA next month to see just how cold it is .. ha ha..
so that may be a huge factor.. But seems to be a compromise of Oregon ( lots of rain) or ID, (snow and cold)

Old 12-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese marie View Post
Don't want to live near Seattle since it is way to expensive and my husband said that would just be to long of a gray winter. So we are still deciding.. But we came upon researching ID.. always listed high on best place to retire list.. It makes the most sense. so we are looking this summer at CDA area.. since it seems the easiest to get to Seattle too .
I am flying to CDA next month to see just how cold it is .. ha ha..
so that may be a huge factor.. But seems to be a compromise of Oregon ( lots of rain) or ID, (snow and cold)
I assume ID is Idaho? But what is CDA???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement