Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 08:57 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
With few exceptions they get you one way or the other. Arizona has no inheritance tax, low property tax, but some cities have very high sales tax.
^^^ This. We live in TX, spend much time in NM and AR and considered all 3 states for retirement. Taxes and COL were pretty much a wash when we took *everything* into consideration.
That said, there are a few states (CA, CT come to mind) in which combined taxes/COL are imo daunting. Even so, if I truly wanted to live in one of those, I wouldn't be deterred. Better to live in a shack in a place you love than in a mansion where you're miserable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:18 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I assume ID is Idaho? But what is CDA???
Coeur d'Alene

A popular retirement destination across the state line from Spokane, especially for Californian and Seattle retirees who want to escape city life.

But don't ask me how to pronounce it.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Coeur d'Alene
'''
But don't ask me how to pronounce it.
Cord-Da-Lane

Nice spot, spendy due to tourist centric, but bargains in small towns nearby.
Very nice recreation in ID, WA, OR, MT, BC, ALBERTA (all very nearby)

Very good fishing and hunting. HUGE rivers North and South of CDA, Clark Fork is NE and Clearwater to the southeast. Some of the best fly fishing in USA.

Long way to the beach (but it is on a very nice and LARGE lake)
Long ways to an airport hub. (Spokane is mostly a commuter airport)

Old 12-04-2016, 08:33 AM

483 posts, read 666,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So you picked the state where some license plates are over a thousand dollars a year.

With few exceptions they get you one way or the other. Arizona has no inheritance tax, low property tax, but some cities have very high sales tax.
What?? Over a thousand dollars for a license plate?? Ours was $300...and considering the fact that our property taxes went from over $10,000 in Illinois to $2,050 in Arizona, I'd say that's a pretty fair trade-off, wouldn't you?

Oh, almost forgot. Our HOA fee went from $300 per month (covering only grass cutting and snow removal) to $125 per month in Arizona (with two swimming pools, two hot tubs, a golf course, a huge gym, free classes and clubs, pickleball, tennis courts, billiards, etc.) a bargain, as well.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,068,816 times
Like BiscuitMom, I am probably going to NW Arkansas too, for the very same reasons she has enumerated. Life in AZ is great if you like desert and cactus. Culture and friendly communities with a sense of belonging are lacking here, unless you live in a senior community (and pay big HOA fees.)

I am tired of the empty shelves in the main library, Downtown Chandler with the workers standing on the corner looking for work, and the bars on the windows. I, too, want 4 seasons, so it really feels like Christmas. Every morning the news heralds someone getting shot. And now the wrong way drivers are dominating the news. It's just too too big here for me.

Sold my house last week. Now the search for a new place !!!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:03 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Like BiscuitMom, I am probably going to NW Arkansas too, for the very same reasons she has enumerated. Life in AZ is great if you like desert and cactus. Culture and friendly communities with a sense of belonging are lacking here, unless you live in a senior community (and pay big HOA fees.)

I am tired of the empty shelves in the main library, Downtown Chandler with the workers standing on the corner looking for work, and the bars on the windows. I, too, want 4 seasons, so it really feels like Christmas. Every morning the news heralds someone getting shot. And now the wrong way drivers are dominating the news. It's just too too big here for me.

Sold my house last week. Now the search for a new place !!!

Congratulations!! That is great news. I know it has taken a while.

Good luck in your search for another home. I am glad to hear you are getting out of an area you are not happy with.

When you mention shootings, wrong-way drivers, you are describing Syracuse, NY, too. We seem to have a lot of shootings and some stabbings..... most recent being a couple of days ago in a school parking lot. I hear this and think I don't want to go out anymore.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:33 PM

3,975 posts, read 4,264,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I assume ID is Idaho? But what is CDA???
CDA = Coeur d'Alene

Ooops, just saw I am in a long line of posters replying to your post. I just like towns with French names, like Baton ROUGE.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:58 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
For years I had wanted to retire overseas. I waited till both my parents were gone, and now I think it's too late for me to do that. I couldn't really find another affordable state, with a good climate for me. So I am looking to sell my rural house on land and move into town here.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:09 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I keep fluxuating between Tennessee, Arkansas, Pennsylvania & Nevada. But, I keep Tennessee & Arkansas on the top of the list
As soon as winter is over I will drive to PA, just to check it out, then down to TN & to AR on the way home & pick one of the three & just move.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:51 AM

100 posts, read 88,699 times
For a long time I've dreamed of retiring and moving to the Las Vegas area. We have friends who retired there and love it. We visit once or twice a year and I just love the area but DW has always said "hell no!" She just wants to stay here in small town Southern Illinois because that is where the grandkids live. Doesn't even want to snowbird and get out of this blasted cold for 2-3 months. So this has been a little bit of a sore spot with me until recently.
In early November my youngest son was diagnosed with testicular cancer. He will be fine. Undergoing chemo and the prognosis is good. But the response by the community has been amazing. People helping in so many ways that I can't go into all of them here. It has truly been a blessing to our family; so much so that I have completely changed my mind of ever moving away. Who in their right mind would leave a place where the people have showed us so much love and support. I'm staying here forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement