Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:33 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Out of control, anti-density, anti-development Nimby's are omnipresent in California. I spend time on Skyscraperpage.com, and I can zero in on any city in the world, and find out what's under construction there, what's being proposed, and what proposals are being shot down by Nimby's.

I believe, not too long ago, a high rise was proposed for the waterfront in Oakland, and it was shot down.

In Berkeley, someone proposed a 15 story high rise there, and the Nimby's went nuts! Too tall! Too tall!

Santa Monica hasn't seen a new high rise since 1970, and recently, a developer proposed the first high rise to be built there since 1970, a 21 story tower, and the Nimby's went nuts once again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've been doing more research on Kansas city, looking at You-tube video's of the city, and exploring the Reecenichols.com site for neighborhoods, which give info like the demographics of that neighborhood, and what percentage of the properties are rented as opposed to owner occupied.

From what I've gleaned, so far, KC is a segregated city, and I just don't feel all that comfortable living in a segregated city, particularly after living in one of the most desegregated cities in the country, Las Vegas. My current neighborhood is the most diverse neighborhood I've ever lived in, with an equal proportion of Blacks, Latino's, Whites and Asians, and I love the diversity!

To the south of downtown you run into neighborhoods with a high percentage of Blacks, and any number of these cheap homes are located there. Now, if you cross the river north of downtown KC, and in such oddly named boroughs like Harlem and Moscow, the demographics will show 80-90% white, more owner-occupied homes, same if you head east to Independence and NE to Liberty, and westward into the Kansas side, like Overland Park, Strawberry Hill. And, as you'd expect, the cheap bargains just aren't there.

So, we shall see!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
If I were to buy I'd buy as close to the downtown area as possible, as the back to the city movement seem to know no bounds.
This is what I did in Nashville. I'm less than 2 miles from downtown and when I was looking, the same house just across the main road to the east (only 3 blocks away) would have cost $100,000 more. In 3 1/2 years my house has almost doubled in value and I could probably sell it tomorrow with multiple offers. The only problem is that the only place I would want to live is a high-rise condo and I would have to spend double of what I would get from my house to get what I really want. I am very thankful for an astute realtor.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:42 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
I'm driving myself crazy with my Indecision's but I do think I will resolve whee I want to retire by spring/summer. I've kept consistent with either Tennessee or Arkansas but am exploring other states. This has actually been helpful.

New Mexico - I did not have a good time when I visited 25 years ago - before the internet & I was dumb enough to visit without a car. But, the posts now intrigue me.

Henderson, NV - looks good but don't think I could deal with the summer heat

Jacksonville, FL- Hurricanes. Beautiful place though.

So it goes. Hopefully by spring I will have my mind made up. I am planning on visiting Arkansas & Tennessee this spring but the others would be way out of the way.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
It is nice to have options and the time to evaluate...

The economic data and weather stats are simple enough to review but it is hard to go anywhere and really get to know a place in a short time.

My military friends go where they are sent... always seem to make things work but do have places they really liked and often it comes down to friends made in the community...

Old 12-11-2016, 10:33 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I don't stress about moving or anything else in my retirement. The bottom line is that I'm doing exactly what I want to do when I want to do it. That's an awesome feeling.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Aha! Watched the Musical Parade in Nashville today. They had on jackets (unbuttoned) & gloves rather than the knit cap, scarf, winter gloves, etc. Bet they weren't wearing fleece lined leggings either, lol.

The parade was wonderful & to think I would be close enough to go see it. Hmmm, Tennessee is moving closer to #1.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:06 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Aha! Watched the Musical Parade in Nashville today. They had on jackets (unbuttoned) & gloves rather than the knit cap, scarf, winter gloves, etc. Bet they weren't wearing fleece lined leggings either, lol.

The parade was wonderful & to think I would be close enough to go see it. Hmmm, Tennessee is moving closer to #1.
Just a thought, Meo92953. Have you thought about making a list of things that you like that are where you are now? Friends, places, medical, etc. Then maybe make a list when you are visiting a new place to see how you feel about that particular area?

Something I thought about before making my decision to stay here is that no matter where I might move to, there will be streets, stores, apartments, churches, people, etc. Only I wouldn't be familiar with any of them. Not trying to rain on your parade. Honest. It's just sometimes we have to ask ourselves will I miss what I already have. I've started looking at my area with "new" eyes, so to speak. Appreciating the convenience of everything I need.

I guess a big factor in your decision is the weather. And no one can fault you for that.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Just a thought, Meo92953. Have you thought about making a list of things that you like that are where you are now? Friends, places, medical, etc. Then maybe make a list when you are visiting a new place to see how you feel about that particular area?

Something I thought about before making my decision to stay here is that no matter where I might move to, there will be streets, stores, apartments, churches, people, etc. Only I wouldn't be familiar with any of them. Not trying to rain on your parade. Honest. It's just sometimes we have to ask ourselves will I miss what I already have. I've started looking at my area with "new" eyes, so to speak. Appreciating the convenience of everything I need.

I guess a big factor in your decision is the weather. And no one can fault you for that.
Nygal, I moved here, to my mom's hometown because I'd been laid off & my sister needed help because mom had dementia & needed 24/hr care.

Prior to that I had always lived in the city. With my being here for 6 years & my mom & son's deaths, there is nothing left for me here. The town I live in, 9 miles from Fergus, has nothing to offer.

It is time for me to move on. The place depresses me. I need more sunshine, less cold & a more creative atmosphere. That doesn't equate to people necessarily. It is more nature induced although I do enjoy being with creative people.

I could move back to the city, but as long as I am moving I may as well move to a warmer climate. I only have 1 friend left in the city & that's not enough to stay here.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm driving myself crazy with my Indecision's but I do think I will resolve whee I want to retire by spring/summer. I've kept consistent with either Tennessee or Arkansas but am exploring other states. This has actually been helpful.

New Mexico - I did not have a good time when I visited 25 years ago - before the internet & I was dumb enough to visit without a car. But, the posts now intrigue me.

Henderson, NV - looks good but don't think I could deal with the summer heat

Jacksonville, FL- Hurricanes. Beautiful place though.

So it goes. Hopefully by spring I will have my mind made up. I am planning on visiting Arkansas & Tennessee this spring but the others would be way out of the way.
Now I put St. Pete's, Fl to the list. Yikes, I'm driving myself crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement