Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:12 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

Right now I'm having some good laughs, from the reactions to my most recent indecision, or senior moment?

"Run this by me again!! You were dead set on moving to Tucson, you've been dreaming of it for 8-9 years and you're now considering retiring in Kansas City??? Did you recently change medications?"

"At 66, let me guess!! You got on one of these online dating sites, and you fell head-over-heels in love with someone from Kansas City that you haven't even met!"

"I'll bet you got a medical marijuana card and went crazy eating too much marijuana candy! Marijuana will do that to you, destroy your decision-making process!"

Seriously, I spent 43 years in MN, and very occasionally, I have flirted with the idea of returning to the Midwest, somewhere where the winter may be shorter, and KC has occasionally showed up on my radar screen, a very faint image!

I curiously ventured into the KC forum, where I stumbled across a great recommended RE site, and I curiously wanted to find out just what could be available within the same parameters I've always used for Tucson $40k-$80k. ($80k is all expect from the sale of my house here in Las Vegas) OMG! I couldn't believe my eyes as to what popped up even in the $40k range, a number of those older pre-A/C homes with those huge porches as big as living rooms. Houses even available in the $30k range.

I alerted my retired friend (we grew up together in MN) to the site, as she wants out of Hot Spring, Arkansas due to the enervating humidity, and she was as bowled over as I was, and we're planning on meeting in KC this winter to do a scouting trip. I shant wait too long, or this current senior moment may suddenly evaporate on me!

How about you, how do others react to your retirement indecision/decision making process, or how do you react to it yourself? Laugh about it, cry out of frustration, or scream to the skies sometimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 11:52 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
None of the above. I get queasy in the stomach and cannot relax. I am currently in the final process of selling my house to an investor and I am soooo nervous ! The reason being that I have not found another place for certain. I , too, have wavered between North Carolina, Columbia, Missouri, and Greenville SC. I have visited all those places and did not feel the "vibes". I do want out of AZ. Hate the brown and the cactus here and need more green. Right now I am seriously looking at NWA, Arkansas, but until I make a decision, I will be a mess ! Where's the valium??????

Old 12-01-2016, 12:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I have finally settled down to realize at last I live right where I should live. I will probably be moving to a different apartment in my same area within a year or two, but that's it. I can't imagine the packing even for this local move. Moving to another state, getting established with everything that I now have and don't worry about, just makes me a bit sick to my stomach, too.

One of the reasons I wanted to move to another state was I wanted to live by water. Whether lake or ocean, that was much of what I focused on. If any of you know NY state, maybe visited (this does not include NY City...... at least 500 miles away from where I live in central NY), then you are aware of the lakes we have right here. A few months ago I decided to drive up to Clayton, NY right on St. Lawrence River. First time I ever went there. I love it there. Sat on a bench, watched the boats, there was a woman with her dog, throwing a ball into the river and the dog diving in to fetch it and bring it back to her. I felt so content, I had what I wanted and it was right in my "back yard" so to speak.

To everyone who is moving out of state I wish you the best of luck and happiness. I really hope you find whatever it is you are looking for.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:34 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri?

Old 12-01-2016, 01:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Yeah, when I told people in Portland, OR I had decided to move to Cleveland, OH they acted as if I were leaving Paradise for Hades.

They were SOOOOO wrong.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:48 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, when I told people in Portland, OR I had decided to move to Cleveland, OH they acted as if I were leaving Paradise for Hades.

They were SOOOOO wrong.
I have lived in both places and would agree with the people in Portland. Seven years in Cleveland was way, way, way too long.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
$40k-$80k.
You sure you aren't missing a zero on each????? I highly doubt any of these houses are decent or in a decent area. My nephew just sold his starter house in the KC burbs - $180K.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:17 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,405,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have finally settled down to realize at last I live right where I should live. I will probably be moving to a different apartment in my same area within a year or two, but that's it. I can't imagine the packing even for this local move. Moving to another state, getting established with everything that I now have and don't worry about, just makes me a bit sick to my stomach, too.

One of the reasons I wanted to move to another state was I wanted to live by water. Whether lake or ocean, that was much of what I focused on. If any of you know NY state, maybe visited (this does not include NY City...... at least 500 miles away from where I live in central NY), then you are aware of the lakes we have right here. A few months ago I decided to drive up to Clayton, NY right on St. Lawrence River. First time I ever went there. I love it there. Sat on a bench, watched the boats, there was a woman with her dog, throwing a ball into the river and the dog diving in to fetch it and bring it back to her. I felt so content, I had what I wanted and it was right in my "back yard" so to speak.

To everyone who is moving out of state I wish you the best of luck and happiness. I really hope you find whatever it is you are looking for.
NYgal1542, you do live in a gorgeous area. Central New York State is so lovely. I love the drive between Albany and Erie PA--such beautiful countryside! Someday I would like to see the far north part of NY State. It sounds wonderful. And many of the people seem very genuine and helpful, from my experiences.

Making decisions can be difficult and even mentally paralyzing, it seems. Sometimes the situation is such that a person is compelled to move and he/she must make a choice about where to go, and other times there is struggle with a sense of "how do I make staying where I am work better for me?" From posts I read here on the retirement forum, I think many people have a good sense of what place truly feels like home to them. One can always learn about and visit other places in the world. Travel in person, or travel online to other places on the internet!

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I have lived in both places and would agree with the people in Portland. Seven years in Cleveland was way, way, way too long.
To each their own.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:51 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Took me forever (well 12 years) to get back to Texas by way of making a deal with the devil and working a couple more years at my job. At least I am in Texas and it is bearable. I took this job as a way of moving back to my homeland and getting settled before I retire. So far it is working. I am truly blessed.

You could not get me to move ANYWHERE else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement