Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,322,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I had 3 USA friends lose their homes / farms to medical expenses.

They died within 2 yrs, the spouse was (still is) homeless.

I'm not understanding how this happens that someone loses their home to medical expenses. No insurance? Even so what can a hospital do if you have a $500K bill and can't pay it? Take you to court? Get a judgment against you?

Very sad when people work hard their whole lives and then wind up like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 09:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm not understanding how this happens that someone loses their home to medical expenses. No insurance? Even so what can a hospital do if you have a $500K bill and can't pay it? Take you to court? Get a judgment against you?

I don't understand this either. What are they going to do to you? Debtors prison?

I know of one couple that is selling their home because of illness, but they are going the alternative treatment route that isn't covered by insurance.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:35 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
Better idea is to contact your Congress people both Senators and Representative and advocate for Universal health care like the rest of the developed countries have. Even Mexico has had Universal health care since 2012. Tell your representative to support HR 676. Tell your Senators to work with Bernie Sanders on Universal Health Care. No one should have to go broke because they got sick.
It's well and good to advocate for whatever political solution you think is in order, but any success with that may not come for years, if ever. Therefore, it's probably not a "better idea" to write to elected representatives (even though it may be a very good idea) because what are you going to do in the meantime, whlie waiting? As stated by the other poster, the "better idea" is to have health insurance.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Yeah once your health fails you you're dead in the water. Stuff is just stuff...it comes and goes and you don't take any of it with you anyway whether you're Bill Gates or some guy begging for change outside the train station.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:47 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,050,316 times
This is the challenge we are all at risk of having to confront at some point. We can if possible prepare and try to minimize the risk but health care can be overwhelming.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

You can reach a point where your credit is destroyed and you are above Medicaid levels and new health providers will not accept/take you on.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I don't understand this either. What are they going to do to you? Debtors prison?

I know of one couple that is selling their home because of illness, but they are going the alternative treatment route that isn't covered by insurance.
I think they took out a mortgage on their paid for home and now can't make the mortgage payment or perhaps the upkeep and property taxes.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:56 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,279,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I think they took out a mortgage on their paid for home and now can't make the mortgage payment or perhaps the upkeep and property taxes.
Yes, I read that, but why did they have to take out a mortgage if they were hard working people with good money management skills.

I need or want more answers from Pat Answers!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:07 AM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
I don't understand, either.

Medical insurance is just not all that expensive for those of us old enough to truly retire. Now, if we're talking a 55 year old who jumped the gun, that is a little different. A lot of people that age don't truly understand what they are doing to themselves by retiring early. And at age 55 the door to retirement can be a one-way door.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,497,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sad story. They needed expert advice and apparently didn't get any. They could most likely have avoided this whole thing by NOT mortgaging the house, and then filing for bankruptcy. Most states have laws that protect your primary residence in bankruptcy. That's a shame.
Yes, NEVER turn unsecured loans into secured loans. Never put a mortgage on your home that you can't afford to pay in order to pay off medical, credit cards, or any other unsecured loans that would be forgiven if you have to file for bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement