Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:05 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,754,922 times

Advertisements

I don't remember where, but I did see an article not too long ago that doctors were recommending low dose stations to people over 50 as a precaution against heart disease as it is becoming an epidemic. I'm in my late 40's and I do take a low dose, however I do have a heart condition. I take the generic form of Lipitor and have no side effects. Actually it keeps me regular.

I personally know quite a few people under 60 whom have had heart attacks. Some survived, others did not. I would rather take a precaution; however, if you are totally against statins then you need a stress echo to make sure you are clear of blockage! A regular physical and blood work will not give you a green light of heart health!

Old 04-15-2017, 10:11 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,939,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
From your link...

Quote:
Statins cost at least $100.00 per month...
When I read something like the above, it leads me to dismiss the entire article.
I agree that it is a gross exaggeration. The article below gave a cost of around $100/year

Studies support broader use of cholesterol-lowering statins - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Quote:
Most statins are now available as generics, so the annual cost of taking them has dropped from several thousand dollars a year to around $100 a year.
With insurance, generic statins cost is only few dollars a month. Without insurance, one can get generic statins for $4/month or $10 for 3 months from many places. So the total cost per year is <$50.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 AM

9,449 posts, read 11,208,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OK, so here's what's going on:

Studies Support Broader Use of Cholesterol Lowering Statins

Studies support broader use of cholesterol-lowering statins - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

The industry is moving away from a focus on LDL and instead recommending a statin for people between 40 and 75 who have a 7.5% or greater risk of heart attack or stroke over the next 10 years. Our PCP said that based on DH's age alone, he has a 15% risk.

You should read the article for more information but that's it in a nutshell.
I would be very skeptical of anything I read from Harvard. Harvard is IMO a brainwashing moron factory.

It is the M.O. of the medical establishment to push more and more meds. More med$ = more $$.
Statins have very serious side effects. I would never take them.

Even WebMD casts doubts. ALL drugs have side-effects.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-man...effects-news#1

Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,447,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Without knowing all of his test results, it's hard to tell.

Some physicians will start people on statins who have normal total cholesterol and lipid results if they have other risk factors for heart attack such as a family history, previous heart attack, normal cholesterol level but higher LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels. Statins help raise HDL (the good type of cholesterol) which has a protective effect on the cardiovascular system. How much is still debated but studies have consistently shown that statins are beneficial for increasing the amount of HDL and decreasing the potential for heart disease.

I am on a statin (Lipitor) as high cholesterol runs on both sides of my family. Cholesterol is 85% heredity and 15% diet. I am 47 years old and just started the statin. My younger brother has been on them since he was 37 and my younger sister since she was 40 so I consider myself lucky. I think that I lasted the longest since I am vegetarian and exercise.

I have not had any major issues with the statin as of yet. I have had some muscle pain with it and it makes me tired a bit but nothing really serious. The most irritating issue with it is that it makes me thirsty.
Statins don't raise HDL. My husband had moderate high cholesterol with very low HDL he is on 10MG atorvastatin. It substantially lowered his LDL but does nothing for his HDL. Exercise, moderate red wine, some foods will raise HDL. Mine is outstanding, high 50's low 60's and I have border line LDL. I am not on statins and never intend to. Doctors have told me my HDL outshines my LDL. I have heart disease in my 2nd generation ancestors (grandfather's line) but they were all smokers. I don't smoke. My husband's family also had 1st generation ancestors (father's line) with heart issues. Most smoked but the doctor recommended statins at a low dose because of the closeness. I certainly wouldn't go on statins if my cholesterol was ok and especially if my HDL was good if I didn't have a familiar relationship to heart disease. I don't think it is worth the risk of other issues.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 AM

48,578 posts, read 34,966,648 times
I didn't see you give his numbers? Did I miss it? And I only saw half his blood pressure reading.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2017, 11:38 AM

419 posts, read 388,762 times
Yes, I saw those new guidelines that came out last year and question using these strong drugs for so many. For those who really need them, it's great that they're available. Personally, I wouldn't take them unless I had a serious need for them.

I question why doctors want to put those considered elderly on drugs that weaken muscles considering that falls are likely the number one way to incapacitate a senior. You also have to question lowering cholesterol numbers so much that the brain no longer functions to full capacity.

It is difficult to believe it when they say that only a small percentage of people have serious side effects. This would be considered anecdotal, but I have known many, many people who tried but could not take statins because of serious side effects. It took a long time for most to rebound once going off the drugs.

Hopefully those who take statins know to also take CoQ10 because statins deplete that in the body.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 PM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
My husband has been on a statin for years and is doing well.

Six years ago I got put on a statin because I had a slightly elevated liver function test. My internist put me on it and had me see a gastroenterologist. He told me that my liver function test results weren't all that bad and that he had seen results that were way off the charts. My good cholesterol readings were always within normal range, so I asked him if it was necessary for me to take the statin. He said "yes" due to the liver test results. The statin did bring my liver test results into the normal range and has further lowered my cholesterol levels. I knew to watch for any adverse side effects from the statin---and am still mindful of that.

In a perfect world, I would have aged without having to take any prescription meds at all...I wish!

Old 04-15-2017, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,771,127 times
I have been on simvastatin for a couple of years. Noticed no side effects at all.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:39 PM

689 posts, read 975,570 times
Really interesting article and chart here on how and why so many doctors are pushing statins as well as other drugs. I, personally, wouldn't take a statin for any reason. If cholesterol is actually a problem (which it often isn't) there are many, safer ways to lower it. Pharma has been, systematically, lowering the 'acceptable' lipid profile numbers for years in an effort to raise profits even further and it's working, since so many people are to afraid to question anything...

Please do your homework on this one. Statins are known for causing mild to debilitating muscle pain and, eventually affecting nerve pathways. In addition they are strongly linked to type 2 diabetes, memory problems and even dementia, just to name a few. If you feel you must take one, make sure to supplement with CoQ10, a critical enzyme that statins strip from your body. This will help protect muscle damage - at least initially.

Is Your Doctor Getting Drug Kickbacks? | The Healthy Home Economist

Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I agree that it is a gross exaggeration. The article below gave a cost of around $100/year

With insurance, generic statins cost is only few dollars a month. Without insurance, one can get generic statins for $4/month or $10 for 3 months from many places. So the total cost per year is <$50.
I believe the article was from 2004 so all the generics weren't out yet and that could well have been the cost. Let's not dismiss it as inaccurate when it was accurate for the times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.