Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:50 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,842,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Do you mix the spoonful of tumeric into water or juice?

now I'm terrified with reading jrkliny's post. I had stopped taking the statin. Will start again probably/maybe. small dose. thanks for reminder.
Honey. I've got this advice from my friend whose mom was as a spring chicken in the yoga class. She died of brain aneurysm at age 89. Otherwise she was very healthy.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:20 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,145,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is the belief of most doctors that statins are beneficial. I believe this is backed up by studies. .............
Backed up by decades and decades of research. In fact I was involved at the Cleveland Clinic in the early 70s. Just one institution had millions in research for this topic. There have been huge studies not just in the US but internationally. In addition to basic research and drug trials there have been major epidemiology studies. Thousand of researchers in hundreds of labs have worked on this issue. Don't listen to some ignorant fool on the internet. Check the recommendations and standards as provided through the National Heart Lung Blood Institute. These are readily available online in a simple summarized format.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:28 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,839,766 times
There are all kinds of sources on the Internet that warn against statins. Just as there are studies against about anything medical. A lot of false information out there to scare people.

Example just a few years ago, a lab in France brought out a study that showed by injecting Equal dissolved in purified water, would bring on Cancer in Rats. They found out, a few things.

1: They were paid a huge fee to come to this conclusion.

2: The rats they tested with, were special cancer cure rats, that will get cancer from just about anything, including distilled water injected under the skin. The labs inject them with water to give them cancer, so they can try cancer treatments on them.

They were investigated by the government and found it way for some anti Equal group to get information that was completely false to use to get Equal banned around the world. A lot of those studies you see that are violently anti-stattin, are to say something some group wants to promote, and a lot of it is fake.

I take stations and have done so for last 15 years. I am an old man at 85, so I don't want to kill myself with another heart attack when a pill a day can help me keep this from happening.

I personally listen to what the best sources are. I pick the true medical experts for my information, and here are highly regarded sources that all say the same thing. That is for nearly all people Statins can save your life.

How Statin Drugs Protect the Heart

10 truths about statins and high cholesterol: One Heart

Cholesterol and statins: it's no longer just about the numbers - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

Statins: Are these cholesterol-lowering drugs right for you? - Mayo Clinic

Remember you can find a lot of false information on the Internet making contradictory claims. I only want to hear from the real experts.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:07 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,802,745 times
I posted this in another thread.

I was on the fence about statins, and then I heard a doctor on a morning news program. She understood people were concerned about the side affects of taking statins, but she said stroke and heart attack were some serious side affects too. That struck a note with me.

I am not on statins, my DH is. We both see the same primary care doctor and she ran the numbers for both of us after getting back our labs. DH should take a statin and I do not need to, although I'm close. The doctor suggested I drop some weight and exercise more and we will revisit this in six months. A reasonable suggestion and not a blanket throw-everyone-on-a-statin doctor. She knows a dialogue is two-sided.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,374,820 times
carbs, bad carbs. Get rid of them from your diet and your numbers will go down.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:25 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,899,965 times
Women and statins are a different story, particularly in women who have not had a heart attack.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/...-statins/?_r=0
Statin Use in Women - NEJM Journal Watch

Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM

8,265 posts, read 3,461,916 times
The percentage of people who have high cholesterol for genetic reasons is tiny. Almost everyone can prevent heart disease by having a healthy lifestyle and not smoking.

Taking statins is NOT healthy. There are many natural health websites, and they are not all crazy. You should at least consider what they have to say.

And there are plenty of mainstream sources that will tell you the same thing. Statins are bad for most people.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM

8,265 posts, read 3,461,916 times
And you most definitely should not start taking statins if you have no health problems. That is nuts. And if you have health problems caused by lifestyle, change your lifestyle before you start taking drugs.

Don't have blind faith in the medical industry. And no you should not believe everything anyone says on the internet. But don't disbelieve everything you see on the internet either. You have to think!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:40 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,145,434 times
Good4Nothing, do you just make up this crap? If not, please let us know where you received your medical training.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,371,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I posted this in another thread.

I was on the fence about statins, and then I heard a doctor on a morning news program. She understood people were concerned about the side affects of taking statins, but she said stroke and heart attack were some serious side affects too. That struck a note with me.

I am not on statins, my DH is. We both see the same primary care doctor and she ran the numbers for both of us after getting back our labs. DH should take a statin and I do not need to, although I'm close. The doctor suggested I drop some weight and exercise more and we will revisit this in six months. A reasonable suggestion and not a blanket throw-everyone-on-a-statin doctor. She knows a dialogue is two-sided.
This, so much this! Try to fix the issues by what you eat and exercise. If that doesn't work, then go the med route IF it is really needed. Have conversations with your doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement