Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:24 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,286,519 times

Advertisements

After a major heart attack several years ago I was put on Lipitor. In two weeks I go to my 1st appt. with my new cardiologist and we are going to discuss getting me off of this drug! I'm doing much better diet wise controlling my cholesterol and I want off the drugs!

Old 04-15-2017, 08:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,793,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Don't have blind faith in the medical industry. And no you should not believe everything anyone says on the internet. But don't disbelieve everything you see on the internet either. You have to think!
I agree completely with ^^^. The medical industry needs supervision by anyone who uses their services. I totally do not get the attitude of blindly handing your body over to someone else to manage, medically, for you. As far as I am concerned a doctor is a consultant who makes recommendations to me and I then go do some research and decide if I like that recommendation or not.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:33 PM

15,254 posts, read 13,056,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
This, so much this! Try to fix the issues by what you eat and exercise. If that doesn't work, then go the med route IF it is really needed. Have conversations with your doctor.
I think you might be missing the point.

There are no issues. His cholesterol is normal. Our PCP is basing his prescription of a low-dose statin on a recommendation that was handed down by Harvard researchers a couple of years ago. It has become a standard of care in our large HMO.

The risk factor is his age.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 AM

8,237 posts, read 3,449,230 times
Medicine is a business, businesses have to make money. People are not gods, medical doctors are not gods.

There are some really bad things going on in medicine, and giving statins to every old person is one of the worst.

If a person is healthy and tries to have a reasonable lifestyle, the statins will just interfere with normal biological processes and eventually CAUSE disease.

If a person is not healthy, their lifestyle probably needs to be improved, so they won't need drugs anyway.

Genetic high cholesterol is rare, but now they are telling almost everyone they have it, and therefore need drugs.

Maybe statins are cheap now, but it's still good for the medical industry to have everyone all them.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:32 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,138,867 times
G4N, on another thread you suggested that if I did not like your opinions, I should just ignore them. In this case that is impossible.

You are passing out bad medical advice. It is hard for most of us to be compliant with doctors orders when compliance involves years and years of taking meds. Your advice does not help and can encourage others to quit taking statins. Anyone who follows your advice will be allowing the onward development of cardiac disease, stroke and other diseases related to the deposit of plaque.

You obviously have no credentials in any field related to medicine. You have crazy theories which demonstrate total ignorance of the research and facts. Instead of looking at the strong consensus guidelines (ATP from the NHLBI) you have decided the consensus is based on greed.

I am sure I will not dent the belief you have in your opinions but for anyone else I do have some advice to offer. Follow your doctor's orders and advice. If you have concerns and questions, bring these up and discuss them with your physician. You can receive lots of incorrect information and bad medical advice on the internet. Be careful of the sources you consult. If you want to learn more about this or any medical issue, I would recommend looking at the Mayo Clinic webpages. There are others, but Mayo is consistently comprehensive, reliable and up to date.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:41 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,138,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
..... As far as I am concerned a doctor is a consultant who makes recommendations to me and I then go do some research and decide if I like that recommendation or not.
And where did you get your advance knowledge of medical issues and the ability to make a decision. I hope that is not from reading the advice from G4N.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,364,313 times
Mayo is not the be all end all if good medicine. They are flawed also. No med institution is without greed or agenda.

It is up to us, each as an individual, to do our due diligence in reasearch. To question all things relating to our medical care.

I question everything from supplements to medications. From doctors to surgeons. Even over the counter pain meds such as Advil, Tylenol or Aleve

Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 AM

226 posts, read 299,342 times
I was on statins for awhile and had such terrible arthritis like side effects I asked to be removed from them. I controlled my cholesterol with diet and have no need of them now. I also don't like taking meds I don't really need, so I wouldn't take them when my cholesterol readings are normal. But that's my choice. The point I want to make here is that every individual should make their own informed choice. Whatever you do, don't make the choice for your spouse, parent or anyone else. Whoever makes the choice will have to take the blame if anything went wrong. Not a good position to be in.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:50 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,364,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
I was on statins for awhile and had such terrible arthritis like side effects I asked to be removed from them. I controlled my cholesterol with diet and have no need of them now. I also don't like taking meds I don't really need, so I wouldn't take them when my cholesterol readings are normal. But that's my choice. The point I want to make here is that every individual should make their own informed choice. Whatever you do, don't make the choice for your spouse, parent or anyone else. Whoever makes the choice will have to take the blame if anything went wrong. Not a good position to be in.
I like and agree with your point.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:22 AM

757 posts, read 844,733 times
65 year old friend who has been on statins for three years had heart attack at a YMCA after getting off a cycle machine where the exercise was some sort of "spinning" drill.

My own reading/research says that statins have not been proven to prevent cardiac events. Also, that half of people who go into an ER with heart problems have normal lipid profiles.

I have also read that 85% of statistics are made up so who knows? The thing is, if cardiac problems run in your family, then anticipate it for yourself and do what you can to avoid it.

There are no totally benign drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement