Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

I don't really have a question here, other than, I guess, how you are coping with the idea of ending up in assisted living and/or getting really ill, etc. I'm not afraid of death, just of being frail, sick and helpless, really.
I feel you on this post. It really does make you think about your own future. Nobody knows if you will have your wits about you or not, will you be able to take care of yourself, will your eye site be ok, etc. etc.
You can drive yourself crazy worrying about it right?

I don't want to end up in a nursing home or assisted living either. I have been to those places visiting loved ones in the past and it is very depressing to say the least. My father passed away at home and I hope I go the same way.

It is best to stay as active as possible. The more you keep yourself engaged in life the better off you will be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 12:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I have a friend who is going to rent out her old house in santa monica for about $6K a month and go into AL for about $6K month. She's a strong woman, plays bridge, does a hobby of crafts and will teach her craft at the AL facility. She's lived in her house for over 50 yrs and tired of it and wants to be waited on for some yrs. She talks about buying her SM house for like $34K and it will go for $2million when her daughter has to sell. That is So. Cal housing and location location location.

I could NEVER afford anything like this, and hope I can live in my 700 sq ft apt to my end.

Here's a health tip to Stay More Healthy and slow aging, I've been taking it for 23 yrs soon.

Grape Seed Extract Benefits OPC Antioxidant Page

I don't buy from this company but like their overview of what Grape Seed Ex does for us. I'm 79 soon and get that "you are 60something from those who don't know me",
this supplement is sold just about everywhere... Those on blood thinners can't take both.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:57 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I feel you on this post. It really does make you think about your own future. Nobody knows if you will have your wits about you or not, will you be able to take care of yourself, will your eye site be ok, etc. etc.
You can drive yourself crazy worrying about it right?

I don't want to end up in a nursing home or assisted living either. I have been to those places visiting loved ones in the past and it is very depressing to say the least. My father passed away at home and I hope I go the same way.

It is best to stay as active as possible. The more you keep yourself engaged in life the better off you will be
Absolutely. I wonder why all the "youngsters" try to convince me to put all my bill-paying on line; or why the pharmacy tries to put me on auto-fill. "We'll fill it for you and call you for pick-up".
I pay my bills by <gasp!> check. In an envelope. With a stamp. And I'm never late. Call the pharmacy a day before I want to pick up my refills.

I write things on my calendar. I may forget to log in to my laptop but I know I'll be going into the kitchen for my coffee!!

Stay engaged. Stay in the moment. To paraphrase Jack and Diane, Hang on to what you've got for as long as you can.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
When the time comes that I am unable to live alone, I would rather live in assisted living and then a nursing home, rather than saddle my sons with having to care for me. I never want to become a burden and no son of mine should EVER have to change my diaper IMO.

I don't know about in the US or other countries, but my concern is with all the baby boomers aging all at once in a close time span, there won't be enough facilities to house and care for all of us. There is already a crisis and we still have a few years to go... The hospitals are already overcrowded here with geriatric patients waiting for beds to come available in nursing homes.

It's a country wide-mess we are in and the government and private enterprises don't seem to be building any extra nursing homes/assisted living complexes. Some of the private ones are charging $5-6000 per month. Who can afford that? Only the very rich.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:41 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
A realty check reading this thread. I'm 28 and am doing the best I can to take care of myself. I know aging is inevitable. I chose to move close to the ocean here in Florida because swimming in the salty warm sea multiple times a week rejuvenates my mind and body. I work out, eat pretty healthy, stretch religiously everyday, and I'm enjoying trying to climb the always uphill mountain of the business world by learning and applying, learning and applying...

Old 06-06-2017, 01:45 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Absolutely. I wonder why all the "youngsters" try to convince me to put all my bill-paying on line; or why the pharmacy tries to put me on auto-fill. "We'll fill it for you and call you for pick-up".
I pay my bills by <gasp!> check. In an envelope. With a stamp. And I'm never late. Call the pharmacy a day before I want to pick up my refills.

I write things on my calendar. I may forget to log in to my laptop but I know I'll be going into the kitchen for my coffee!!

Stay engaged. Stay in the moment. To paraphrase Jack and Diane, Hang on to what you've got for as long as you can.
Using the internet for everything is scary. (so many viruses and too many computer hackers) I still send out some of my bills the "old fashioned" way too.

I have a big old calendar at work too and write everything on it. It really is my "diary" LOLOLOL
(I save them as well........Ha!) I could put everything into my phone calendar but that is just too damn small. LOLOLOL

There is a tv commerical they used to play in our area for a local health care system and it was a group of older men playing baseball and the theme was "You're never too old unless your cold--keep moving".
I love it!!!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I am a physical therapist, and 99% of my patients are 65 y-o or older. I do home visits, and below is some general advice borne out of several years working with geriatric patients:

- Strive to be as physically active as you can. If you do not have arthritis problems, walk. It's one of the best ways to exercise, and all you need is a pair of shoes. Walk on trails if you can, as slightly uneven terrain challenges your balance more than walking on a flat surface. If you have joint problems, try an exercise bike or water activities, e.g., walking in a pool (with a float).

- Mental activity is also important: switch off the TV. I see countless older folks sitting in their recliner watching TV all day long. Instead, try to learn a new skill. It can be anything, such as learning how to knit, how to woodwork, how to garden, or a new language. Learning a new skill promotes the growth of neural networks in our brain.

- Make sure you have companionship or a group of friends you can interact with frequently, preferably in person rather than on-line. Mental isolation gradually leads to physical isolation. Go volunteer for a good cause if you're able to. Or join a meetup group.

I see folks in their late 80s or early 90s who are physically and mentally active. I also see folks in their 60s who spend their entire day on a recliner, watching mindless TV, and snacking on junk food. I think you can guess which group is the healthier and happier one.
This is a great overview of what it takes to live a healthy life.....

Old 06-06-2017, 01:57 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
I am a physical therapist, and 99% of my patients are 65 y-o or older. I do home visits, and below is some general advice borne out of several years working with geriatric patients:

- Strive to be as physically active as you can. If you do not have arthritis problems, walk. It's one of the best ways to exercise, and all you need is a pair of shoes. Walk on trails if you can, as slightly uneven terrain challenges your balance more than walking on a flat surface. If you have joint problems, try an exercise bike or water activities, e.g., walking in a pool (with a float).

- Mental activity is also important: switch off the TV. I see countless older folks sitting in their recliner watching TV all day long. Instead, try to learn a new skill. It can be anything, such as learning how to knit, how to woodwork, how to garden, or a new language. Learning a new skill promotes the growth of neural networks in our brain.

- Make sure you have companionship or a group of friends you can interact with frequently, preferably in person rather than on-line. Mental isolation gradually leads to physical isolation. Go volunteer for a good cause if you're able to. Or join a meetup group.

I see folks in their late 80s or early 90s who are physically and mentally active. I also see folks in their 60s who spend their entire day on a recliner, watching mindless TV, and snacking on junk food. I think you can guess which group is the healthier and happier one.
Preach it, and a rep for you!

Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

I finally auto pay utilities, saves a check and stamp and it's always paid on time. For MCard, I call in when I want my checking acct debited....really convenient. I have no other bills but rent check and write that first of month and mgr picks it up.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I doubt many people would opt for an assisted living existence. My FIL lived in one for 10 years. He had macular degeneration and felt safe in his little apartment. A few had cars and did get out. Sadly not all of us age gracefully. As determined as we are to keep going, unfortunately things happen. We were always active, traveling, going out, dancing and then BOOM, rheumatoid arthritis and cancer. We are still in our home and hope to remain here for the rest of our days, but we will do what has to be done, like it or not.

We contact doctors and mail order pharmacy via computer, banking is done online, non-perishables and some shopping is done online. We don't watch much TV, rather read and garden as much as we are able. Thankfully we have family and friends who come and help when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement